Catharsis

1. WillFly
    WillFly
    I love this modern reel by Amy Cann - which stretches my tenor banjo technique and my fingers to the limits! It's written in Gm so, for my tenor (tuned CGDA), I've capo'ed on the 3rd fret which simplifies the fingering slightly for my poor ageing hands. Here's the abc and a video I did this morning:

X:1
    T: Catharsis
    C:Amy Cann
    N:Rythm : reel
    V:1
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:Gm =C =D _E =F =G =A _B
    DG GF DG GF |DF GA B/A/G AF |DG GF DG GF |DC B,C B,A, B,A, |
    DG GF DG GF |DF GA B/A/G Ac |dc Bc BA GF |[1DG GF G2 G2 ::[2
    DG GF GA Bc ||:|dG G c GG BG |GA GG GA Bc |dF Fc FF BF |
    F A FF GA Bc |dE Ec EE BE |E A EE GA Bc |dc Bc BA GF |[1
    DG GF GA Bc :|[2DC B,C B,A, B,A, ||G,8 |]

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great new tune, Will. Like that tenor sound.
  3. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    That's been a favorite at our session for the last couple of months, especially when the fiddledex is through the roof (Fiddledex= number of fiddlers present at your session). We sometimes follow it with Tam Lin IIRC.

I love playing this tune on the mandolin, and I love/hate playing it on my tenor banjo with the ~23" scale.

See if I can dig up a recording of us playing it. I'm sure I've got one... or I might just have to do a recording myself.
  4. WillFly
    WillFly
    We also play it in our band - except we do Tam Lin first in the set!
  5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Will, that's a great tune and well executed! Really digging that tenor guitar sound!
  6. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Here's a version with Julia Delaney I made the other day as part of my on-the-unpaid-job Go Pro learning project.

7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Great together- beautiful picking going on there, Mike. I like the chords and melody together not only tonally but they add some cool dynamics to it.
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Love the descending double stops and the great tone you bring out of your Ellis. Well done Michael. I felt like I was sitting in your kitchen just listening to you play a tune for me!
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here's mine, combined with Up Downey and a recipe for trad. Scottish bannock. Introducing my new longscale resonator tenor guitar on the second tune.

10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds and looks tasteful. Guten Appetit!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Missed these two tunes back in October, Mike. Great picking, sir!

Bertram, what a video - octave, new resonator and a cooking lesson all thrown in. I see you really like your salt! Watch those arteries, my man. Oh, fine energetic picking once again
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Frithjof and John. The salt you see is consumed over 4 days - can't eat more than a quarter a day, bannock's that filling (I suspect that's what carried those hielanmen from Glenfinnan to London in 1745). Since I eat almost no processed food, that's about it for salt.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Fantastic video, that. I'll try the recipe, too. I learnt that soda requires some acid to avoid the soapy taste. The other ingredients must have just enough.

Congratulations on the new instrument! I hope you and Regina are well. We're just getting over (mercifully mild) Covid-19 infections and hoping that regulations will still permit a Christmas time visit to the Ruhr.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Dennis, and you're right about the acidity balance thing. Other raising agents are more forgiving but slower, and I can't block the kitchen just to let the dough slowly expand.
    For going to Germany, have a certificate ready for either full vaccination or recovery. Everywhere here it's "2G" (genesen oder geimpft)*. I was alone in a session yesterday, because many musicians hover in undecided hesitation about vaccination, and I have had my three shots. We are both well.

*) courtesy of vaccination quota still too low, and of our new health care minister, Karl Lauterbach
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Bertram said "Thanks Frithjof and John. The salt you see is consumed over 4 days - can't eat more than a quarter a day, bannock's that filling (I suspect that's what carried those hielanmen from Glenfinnan to London in 1745)". So, it could have been that the bannocks ran out which made them turn back at Derby rather than proceding to London! I always reckoned it was a missed train connection at Derby that was the reason.
    Dennis, sorry to hear you have been Covid sufferers, and I hope you can manage your family trip for Christmas. I am hoping to meet up with my two daughters over Christmas, so keeping an eye on all the revised restrictions here is Scotland.