How to share files and images in group posts

1. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Group software is different from the regular forum software. You can't directly upload files and images from your computer or device into your group post.

This does not mean that you cannot share files or photos here in group posts, only that you cannot upload them here directly from your device!

Instead, your file or photo must be uploaded to the World Wide Web in some other place - then, you can get the web address - also known as the URL - to use in posting a link to your file, or to use in displaying your image in your post.

Does this sound really technical? Sorry, I really am. It has to do with the computer age we're living in.

In this thread, I would like for OTHERS TO SHARE STEP-BY-STEP how they do this. Everyone doesn't do this the same way. Many newbies on many occasions have wondered how to do this. There are people here who know how to do this, and they do it often, so it would be great if you can share how you handle getting FILES linked into your posts, or you handle getting IMAGES to show in your posts, on a clear, step-by-step basis, so that others can learn how to do it - and can decide HOW they want to do it.

I'll start this by telling step-by-step how I do it myself, which will probably not be very helpful to anyone who doesn't know how, but just the same, I'll tell how I do it, only because I have often been asked. Then, I'll tell how to upload files and photos to other areas of this MandolinCafe site so that they can be used in your posts here.

I cannot give any information on other methods than these. I only use my own method, and don't care about learning other methods. That's why it will be great for OTHER PEOPLE to tell their own methods, especially methods that will be easy for newbies!

First, though, there is a difference between a FILE like a PDF or TEF file, and an IMAGE - even though an image is a file too, technically, it can be displayed as a picture in your post. On the other hand, you cannot show a PDF file in your post; instead you offer a link that people can click to download it onto their own device.

Onward and Upward!
  2. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    The www.markgunter.net method - USING YOUR OWN WEBSITE.

If you happen to have your own website, you can upload files to your website then link to them here, or display images here. This is the only method I use, and that is why I can't help with methods other people use like imgur, dropbox, etc. etc. If you have your own website, here is how you do this.

1. Use your FTP Client (File Transfer Protocol software) to upload whatever files you wish to your website. You can also use your FTP Client to create directories for the files to live in, and to set permissions for the directories. Make sure permissions are such that the public can access these files.

Alternatively, if you haven't a clue what FTP is all about, you can usually find something in your Web Control Panel for your website that is called a "File Manager". This is merely a user-friendly interface for using FTP through your control panel without knowing what it is called. You can create a directory and upload files from your computer to that directory.

2. Note the web address where the file is located. The web address is the URL (Uniform Resource Locator) for files on the world wide web. This will be the web address to your website, followed by a slash, then the name of the directory, another slash, then the file name.

Example: www.markgunter.net/images/mark.jpg

3. For linking to a file, type the URL into your post, as in the example above. This creates a link that can be clicked by the user to access your content. You would use this method to link to a webpage, or a PDF file, or text file ... anything that needs either to be downloaded, or viewed on a different page. Even an image, to be opened in another page, like the one in the example above.

4. For displaying an image right there in your post, use the image button in the editor toolbar and type your URL there. Or, you can use the bbcode image tags if you know a bit about writing code. The tags look like this (but without the spaces):
    [ I M G ] [ / I M G]

5. For showing a mp3 player, use the bbcode mp3 tags and type the URL to your mp3 file between the tags. The tags look like this (but without the spaces):
    [ M P 3 ] [ / M P 3 ]

Done!
  3. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    The www.mandolincafe.com method - USING THE CAFE AS A HOST FOR YOUR FILES.

This one is easy, and since I do not specifically use this one, I won't go into detail, because there is a special place for this and a thread where you can read all about it, and I presume ask questions about it.

As mentioned before, the main forum software has less limitations than the social group forums. You actually can upload files from your device directly into your posts in the main forum!

Since the social group software is limited, the site owner created a thread in the main forum specifically for social groups to use to upload their stuff. It is located under the "Song And Tune Projects" forum, and it is a sticky post - it's always at the top.

It is titled: Thread for Social Group MP3 Posting

Check it out! You can learn to add your files in that thread, and how to show them up here!

And important, this tells how to add files or images from within your post to that thread in the main forum:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s

And this tells you how to add images to your own photo album in your profile here, so that folk who visit your profile can learn more about you or your interests - or, just so that you can use the image in your post here!
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/f...faq_vb3_albums
  4. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Mark, you've put a TON of effort into this issue. No one is responding, so I'm wondering if the MC Forum would be a better place to post this.
  5. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I am working on a screenshot video. Will post when done.
  6. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    Mark, thanks for the info. I've used You Tube to link video to this site. It is always a fuddle for me to get it to work the first time.
    BJ
  7. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    I want to share this tef file I made recently:
    link to my tef file

I also want to share this pdf file:
    sherryc's pdf

And look at this flute picture - it's really neat, huh?
  8. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    OK. I have a video I made of the whole process of making the above post showing how I got the tef file, the pdf file, and the image into the post.

When the video starts, I recommend clicking down on the lower right where it says "YouTube" to go viewing directly in YouTube. Then click just to the right of "YouTube" on that square looking thing to get the video to full screen.

I tried to do this all in one "take" so it is choppy, disjointed, sometimes almost inaudible, and I kinda get a bit lost in places - sorry, but you'll get old, too, someday.

I know this is not exactly ready for prime time, but ask questions about the parts that I mangle.
  9. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    It is worth noting that the image I posted (of the flute) is only 750 pixels wide. Most images taken with cell phones or cameras are much wider than that. If you embed a wide image in a Social Group thread, the whole thread is stretched out to fit the image. This is not good if your image is, say, 2000 or more pixels wide (which is not at all uncommon). What happens when the thread is stetched to allow a wide image in? You get a scroll bar at the bottom of your browser and all the text in the thread is reformatted to extend the full width of the stretched thread. You will have to scroll right and left to read each line of text. This is known as a "blown thread", which is a polite way of saying "a HUGE PAIN IN THE BOTOX".

So. When embedding images in Social Group threads, be sure to check your final product. If you have "blown" the thread, immediately edit your post to delete the embedded image. Then, you will need to load your image into whatever photo editor you have and "resample" it down to a reasonable size. Then upload the resampled image and reimbed it into your post. The resampling procedure is way beyond the scope of this lecture. Time to consult with a teenager or call Rent-A-Geek.
  10. Kevin Stueve
    Kevin Stueve
    Mark I read your instructions, okay if I substitute scp for ftp ? (sorry sometimes the smartass in me leaks out)
  11. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Had planned to practice now, but it seems I've developed a really bad headache. Not saying Mark and Henry caused it . . . .
  12. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I hope you know I was kidding! I really appreciate all you two contribute to this group.
  13. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Strange. I had to take a few Advils right after I managed to escape from that video. I assure you it isn't as hard as I made it out to be. The geeksquad pays me to obfuscate.
  14. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Great video, Henry. So it's OK to use that MC forum thread as a conduit to post stuff?
  15. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Sure. If it wasn't, Scott would have put the kibosh on it a long time ago. He runs a tight ship.
  16. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Mark, thanks for the info!

HonketyHank, good video, thanks! Lots of useful info there. Thanks also for the tips about picture sizes.
  17. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Here is another handy little thing to know about YouTube videos. There are actually two ways to show a YouTube video.

1. Easiest way. To do this, you just copy the entire URL at YouTube. Then you use the "filmstrip" icon in your Reply screen toolbar to paste the URL. The "filmstrip" icon is the very last icon in the Quick Reply screen, right next to the "image" icon. Also, the filmstrip icon will be in every reply screen; "Quick Reply" - "Reply" - "Advanced".

Now here are the pros and cons to using this easy way:

Pros
    1. It's easy
    2. You can find the button in all reply screens on website
    3. You can paste an entire URL in there (that's what makes it easy, too)
    4. The video that shows in your post is a wee bit larger than the other way of doing it
    Cons
    1. It is not upgrade safe. When forum software, or YouTube parameters change, your video may no longer show in the forums.
    2. The "fullscreen" button is not available for use from within your post.

Here is a video added with the filmstrip icon:

2. Best way. I could call this the "preferred" way rather than "best" way. It is the way that Scott Tichenor recommends. To do this, you do not copy the entire URL from YouTube, and you do not use the filmstrip icon. Instead you use the YouTube icon that is found in the toolbar in the Advanced reply mode. It is a reddish icon and it sits next to a blue vimeo icon, tab icon and soundcloud icon.

To use it, instead of copying the entire URL at YouTube, you will copy & paste only the part comes after v= in the web address bar, using the YouTube icon.

Pros
    1. Your videos are more upgrade safe over time.
    2. People can enlarge your video to full screen without leaving the cafe.

Cons
    1. Takes a bit more time until you get used to it
    2. Video showing in post will look a wee bit smaller.

Here is our example:
    I'm using only the part that comes after v= in the URL, which in this case is 6Y4HVEU3PIs

Some trivia:
    I much prefer the second method, because I very often want to see videos in full screen mode. Folk use both methods all across the cafe, but after I'd been here awhile, I discovered Scott's recommendation (in the software questions forum) and I began using it.

Then, I got the bright idea of suggesting that Scott's website guy just go ahead and add the YouTube icon into the toolbar for quick reply, as my thinking was that more people would find this method intuitive if the icon appeared everywhere. Well, I think my suggestion was taken as a complaint. In the end, he deleted one of my posts and chastised me in the thread. Then he locked the thread.

But in light of Henry's posts in the Woodshed and above, I felt it would be good to at least make folk here aware that you have a choice on how to post your video.

Following is Scott's thread about this:
    Embedding YouTube & Vimeo Videos Redux

Following is a video where Scott shows the preferred method:
  18. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Neat! thanks, Mark.
  19. HonketyHank
    HonketyHank
    Mark said, above, "In the end, he deleted one of my posts and chastised me in the thread." Jeez. I thought I was the only one in the bunch that had gotten a wrist slap here at MC. What a bunch of troublemakers .
  20. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Bumping for Gareth (sportsnapper)
  21. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bumping for Don (NDO).
  22. NDO
    NDO
    Thank you Sherry!
  23. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bump
  24. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I've typed up Henry's video instructions for embedding images in a social group. If you'd like a copy, PM me your email address. If I already have your email address, just let me know you'd like a copy.
  25. NDO
    NDO
    I’ll take it Sherry!