Week #12 ~ Swallowtail Jig

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I know what you mean, Bertram!

For some reason, I never learnt this tune. You guys just don't want to stop putting things on my to-do list, do you?

I'm currently practising triplets in jigs, so Habbits's video gives me some starting points. Thanks!
  2. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey

Used to play this with the late Joe Nobling (above). Rest In Peace, Joe.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great versions by BHabbits and Mike.
    I like jigs and consider it worth to read the discussion of 2009.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As promised a few posts up in this thread, here is my update on my 2014 recording, using the same arrangement by Evelyn, but played with more of a live feeling. This is how we play the tune at our weekly gatherings.

I'm playing it on mandolin with tenor guitar rhythm and mandocello bass line. High tremolo harmony on second mandolin coming in on the second time through.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Over twelve years late (my personal procrastination record), but here goes, paired with Quaker. More experimentation with bowing here - I have replaced the wooden wedge with a real Pickaso bow, and it sounds much more orchestral that way.

6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting sound, Bertram. Do you manage to bow both strings in the pair while playing the drone? Quaker is quite a handful on the octave, but no problem to the Flying Fingers!
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, while the wooden wedge fitted beween the strings of a pair, the Pickaso bow doesn't - it was made for Guitars, after all. I bow the inner strings of adjacent pairs (like D-A and G-D in the set), while the outer strings vibrate along in resonance, kind-of.
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Bertram, for introducing us to this innovative tool. Sounds cool.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Cool tone, and vibes from your octave Bertram. Good to hear some enjoyable experimental music!
    I’m wondering if there’s a bow or even a serrated pick or something that can get that effect and then revert quickly back to standard picking.
  10. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great addition to this loong thread Bertram! Such variety!
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon – according to the advertising the bow has a build-in pick in its hand-grip section. Don’t know how comfortable to use.
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks all - Frithjof, that built-in pick is there, but it is very stiff, and to use it you have to take the sticky bow in your palm - eeuw! Plus, quickly changing between picking and bowing is an artistic feat that takes more practising than the tune itself; after all, the bow has a metal tip, and you'll have the top of your instrument full of dings before you're half good at doing that.
  13. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Bertram.

I’m not tuff enough to learn this artistic movements. But you with your skills …
    We could change our instruments for a year or two. My simple bouzouki could only grow to a worthy instrument with some dings. Certainly, it will play some good reels and jigs after be trained by you.
  14. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Bertram, I don't see how you can do that - but am sure glad you can! Thanks for the video of your playing.
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Sherry - Frithjof, the idea of a haunted instrument that absorbs its player's skills is the stuff for ghost stories, Dorian Gray league
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    What a pity!
  17. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i do enjoyed old threads getting brought back to life, some great versions there, i didnt know this one, had a lot of fun learning it, smashing tune

18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine playing, Lawrence. Lovely clean sound from your mandolin.
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great, Lawrence. Sounds very...?... Irish!
  20. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great feel and rhythm Lawrence !
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sensitively played Dude.
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    solid as usual, Lawrence, but what is that instrument/tuning? I don't recognise the fingering
  23. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks folks, hi Bertram its CGDAE
  24. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Lawrence, thanks for posting. Love your playing and seeing your hands. You set a fine example.
  25. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Here's my version - it's the E Dorian setting as opposed to the alternative A Dorian setting. Played on my Falder mandolin.

26. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Aidan -- I love the little triplets you throw into the tune. I really need to improve on my ornamentation.

Great tone from that mandolin too. I haven't heard of Falder. Is is a flattop?

Martin
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine jig playing there, Aidan. Like Martin that mando is a new make to me and sounds really good.
  28. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sweet sounding mandolin and great playing,Aidan!
  29. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks all for the kind comments.

I don’t know anything about the maker, Matt Falder, apart from the fact that I’ve once tripped across a discussion via a google search which suggests that he is perhaps primarily a maker of high end electric guitars. See https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-fa...ngland.365184/

The mandolin was an impulse buy on eBay. And well worth the punt!
  30. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Another fine rendition. Thanks, Aidan.
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine tone on your mandolin and equally fine playing.
  32. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one, Aidan, and kind of a statement, too. That's one mandolin that doesn't beat about the bush but clearly shouts out what there is to say*

*)"if you beat me hard for crying, I'll just cry harder!"
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234