Challenges with Singing

1. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I told you guys one of the things Barbara and I worked on yesterday is my singing. It seems I sing solely in falsetto. Singing by myself today I'm having trouble moving from falsetto (pretty much any note above E) to my head voice. (Some videos I just watched seem to call the normal voice that.) Anyway, I haven't found a video that addresses this issue specifically, and I'll keep looking. In the meantime, I thought I'd check to see if any of you have suggestions for moving from one to the other.
  2. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    I had to look up what this means. Huh, singing above your normal range, it seems.

From Wikipedia, " It is produced by the vibration of the ligamentous edges of the vocal cords, in whole or in part."

That means very little to me. How do you know what your normal range is? It seems like the voice is a whole new instrument to learn
  3. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    The voice IS an instrument, Sue! Barbara is certified to teach all instruments, including voice. She determined where the line is for me. I need more work shifting - and not just on mandolin!
  4. NDO
    NDO
    Practice, practice! The voice is a muscle and needs exercise. I’ve found my range expanding a lot in the last three years since I started singing, and especially the transitions from falsetto to head to chest voice just need repetition and focus. The main thing I keep finding is... loud and proud! You won’t progress trying to sing quietly. And I know I’d benefit a lot from a coach, I’m still winging it on my own. So take anything I say with a grain of salt
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Moving swiftly from falsetto to normal voice is the same as yodelling isn't it? So why not practice singing some Jimmie Rogers songs as an exercise.
  6. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    My teacher actually mentioned yodeling. I can't do it.
  7. Louise NM
    Louise NM
    If you are primarily singing in falsetto, are your songs in a range that's too high?
  8. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Sherry, I think your voice coach is the one to address this question, rather than we who aren’t watching/hearing your mechanics and your voice.

FWIW, I too have recently begun working with a professional vocal coach, and I can see a long and winding road ahead. Good luck on your journey!
  9. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Louise, with Barbara's help I've found my range. Also, i've tried songs in different keys and can locate my best key.

Mark, my attempts to find a local vocal coach were unsuccessful. Barbara, my primary mandolin teacher, is trained in voice and is helping me.
  10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Would you believe after Saturday's jam, a guitar player came up to me and said how much he enjoyed my singing - and something about perfect pitch or something along that line! Needless to say I was blown away - in a good way.
  11. NDO
    NDO
    That’s awesome Sherry! What a great confidence boost! And nothing improves your tone more than confidence!
  12. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Wow, Sherry, it sounds like it is all coming together for you lately . We need a video so we can see all your new skills!
  13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    I've PM'd Henry about how to post an MP3 here. As far as a video of me singing, i'm not so sure.
  14. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Okay, just an audio, then.
  15. NDO
    NDO
    If be afraid to post just an audio because then there would be no background scenery to distract from my playing
    I’m looking forward to hearing your singing and your lead playing! Sounds like you’re really making some great progress! There’s no stopping you now.
  16. NDO
    NDO
    Way to go Sherry! Your recording sounded great, super job! I bet that was super fun.