Le bal de la marine

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This musette waltz was written by François Deguelt and Jean-Pierre Mottier, as the tune to a song sung by Deguelt. This is a simple run-through on mandolin, with a tenor guitar arpeggio accompaniment. Deguelt's song is very fast -- I'm a bit slower than that.

I uploaded the sheet music to the Cafe when I made a previous recording in 2014: Link

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Lovely. Thanks. And thanks for the music link.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful playing, Martin. I see no need to play it faster.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Mike and Frithjof! I agree that it doesn't need to be faster, and in any case I wouldn't be able to do it justice if I rushed through the tune. That said, I am somewhat in awe of this solo guitar version:

https://youtu.be/LzyNNbqZHIM

Martin
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A typical French musette, I especially like the part when it changes from minor to major.
    Very fine mandolin playing Martin!
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    There is something so French about French tunes, Martin! Lovely tune and well played as usual. I can picture an accordion playing in a pavement cafe in Paris, the air thick with the smoke from the Gauloises cigarettes.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John and Christian! I agree -- one of those ineffably French tunes that transports you straight to a smoky Parisian Cafe. Fun to play, but it took me a bit to get that opening run up to high C, followed by the pinky hop down to B right each time.

Martin