Lamento Gitano (Marķa Grever)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This Mexican bolero was written in the 1930s by Marķa Grever originally as a song -- check out the great Spanish tenor Alfredo Kraus here. It is also played as a tango for dancing (e.g. here).

My previous recording of this tune uploaded in 2013 was taken at a fairly slow tempo reflecting its origin as a sung lament. I am starting a new thread, as the old one was mis-titled for reasons explained there (link).

For this new recording, I have speeded the arrangement up a bit and used a more dynamic backing rhythm for more of a dance feel, which is more how we play this with our group.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great tune, Martin, and fine arrangement and playing. It reminds me of Spaghetti Western music and would be a fine theme for a film set on the Texas/Mexico border. I hope you are sometimes allowed out of your hideaway - you seem to have been resident there for quite a while.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John! I can't take credit for the arrangement, which is by the Andrini Brothers (although they used the wrong name for the tune), as transcribed and modified by Sheri Mignano. It's really very enjoyable to play, with a great hummable melody. I can see the Spaghetti Western association, they always seemed to be more Mexican/Latin in mood than the Hollywood ones.

Apologies for the unchanging background -- it's just too much hassle to move my recording position around. I spend altogether too much time at the moment in this room as it also doubles as my home office. However, I do manage to get for a walk in the hills around here every day. Spring is definitely coming: yesterday we saw the first lambs out on the fields (much to my surprise as it was still January) and there's snow drops flowering everywhere.

Martin
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Bravo!