Week #36 ~ Lord Inchiquin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, my life is CLUTTERED with stuff I don't mean to collect... but I do!!!!
  2. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Okay, another better-late-than-never entry. Once thru the tune, just to prove I can.

I first heard this in the 80's played on a hammered dulcimer, and that's still the definitive version for me. But lots of fun versions here as well.
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    A great version, definitely, and very well played.
    And your mando rings like a bell. What brand is it?
  4. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Manfred,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm playing a Collings MT.
  5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice ornaments Dana, very classical sounding and the Collings sounds sweet. But please stop smiling you're making me look bad.
  6. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Darn, I was hoping to hide the smiles...
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Take no notice of him Dana... we're all (except Barb) honorary members of the Serious Faces Society...
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Hey, there is a smile in that video, folks. Dana, put some lipstick on your mandolin's lower f-hole, so the others can see it, too!
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just noticed that Hewlett and Lord Inchiquin were both TOTW a while ago -- I had posted versions to the general Carolan thread and now repost them where they should have been to start with:

Martin
  10. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Just playing catch-up......with my new (to me) 1925 Vega style N 17 fret tenor banjo. Still learning how to play this thing and get the right sound out of it. Now I've got a sock stuffed behind the pot to dampen the sound a bit. I need to play around with different strings too. It's a lot of fun, especially at the session I play with!

Jim
  11. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    My solo mandolin version.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice one thanks, I enjoyed that.

Here’s the notation/tab:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w9kv02elltqoc1/Lord%20Inchiquin.pdf?dl=0
  13. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done dustyamps. I never get tired of O'Carolan.
  14. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice rendition, Dustyamps and thanks for bringing up this tune, I put it on my to-do-list.
  15. crisscross
    crisscross
    I printed out the sheet music on Jul-18, but somehow forgot about it.
    Only 3 or 4 days ago, it reappeared and I started preparing this nice O'Carolan tune:
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Enjoyable rendition, Christian.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is very pretty CC. John does a nice solo on his channel too. It has a flowing melody that i like.
  18. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Time for -- sorry about that. Postus interruptus.
  19. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Seems like a good day to hear from Turlough O'Carolan.

20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good to see this one getting brought back, Mike. I notice it first appeared here ten years ago! I like your use of the double stops and chordal additions in this solo performance.
  21. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Well played, Mike. (How surprisingly…). It sounds indeed great with these double stops and chords.
  22. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Yeah, Mike. Good one. We all need more O'Carolan.
  23. Callum Murray
    Callum Murray
    Great playing Mike! This is on my list of tunes to learn and your recording will give me some inspiration for adding double stops and chords to the melody. Thanks
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  25. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You seem to be on an O'Carolan kick just now with this and Hewlett, and why not! A great source of great tunes, old Turlough
  26. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Not such a great recording with the wind in the trees above. Storm Eunice in the UK, bah!
    And I feel I should have upped the tempo a bit, get these tunes cookin’, rockin’!

(Day temp was about 19C but as soon as the clouds appear, not so nice!)
  27. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Always nice to hear O'Carolan and the breeze in the background just adds to it.
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    O'Carolan still alive and kicking, keep it up! Simon, you might have borrowed Mike's cap for warmth, fitting the colour of your sweater, too
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    It was warm and sunny earlier on.
    Climbing the mountain, half way up, I put my hand on my head: ‘Oh no! I forgot my hat. Tonight, when I post the vids, what’s Bertram going to say?’!
  30. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The sound of your instrument gets mellower with each recording, must be the player!
  31. John W.
    John W.

Played once through…
    Tom Buchanan Tenor Mandola
    This version is based on that provided by Heath @ pickinlessons - https://youtu.be/XxrjxGmAQ2g
  32. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Beautiful John! A solo performance checking all the boxes.
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Played with feeling, John, and your mix of single notes, double stops and chordal phrasing is very appealing. That Buchanan is a powerful force in your hands.
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really enjoyed the chordal playing, and the pace, nice!
  35. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you sooo much, Frank, John K and Simon. Really enjoyed getting to grips with playing this tune as presented. The lower register, tone and key from the Buchanan TM hopefully provide a pleasing variation on the versions provided to date.
  36. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great solo version with chordal playing, John. The Buchanan Tenor Mandola sounds great under your hands, indeed.

And a really good mandolin-in-nature recording by Simon in February.
  37. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A paradise of double stops and chords, John W., enough to make Andy Irvine run for his money. That's how O'Carolan would have done it while his other harp was in the laundry...
  38. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you Frithjof and Bertram…high praise indeed… I’m fairly confident Andy Irvine wouldn’t require as many takes as it took me to get the tune down!
  39. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Sounds fine, John!
  40. John W.
    John W.
    Thank you, Christian.
  41. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, John -- really nice playing and setting, with those effective double stops and some evocative rubato.

I have played this tune for a long time, but for some reason don't seem to have recorded it previously (other than a very basic solo run-through in 2010). We have only recently found a setting that works for our group line-up.

Here is how we play it, on my Embergher mandolin with an added harmony (on the repeats only) played on a 10-string waldzither set up as a mandola. It's a bit more uptempo than most...

Setting from the Southern Maryland Open Band tunebook at:
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ookJan2021.pdf

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    1920s 10-string waldzither tuned CGDAE
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/rs0WlycQ_z4

Martin
  42. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You found a nice version for your group.
  43. John W.
    John W.
    Nice variations, Martin.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12