Week #141 ~ Bonaparte Crossing the Rocky Mountains

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Maudlin, you can go back to 'edit' and delete those posts of yours that were unsuccessful!
  2. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    sorry running a bit behind here, it takes me that long to get a tune into my head. got a bit too ambitious with triplets in this one, hence the snails pace but it was all good enjoyable pratice

3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done, gortnamona, and worth the wait.
  4. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Wow, OldSausage and OneFineBob great rocking renditions. Gortnamona, yours is proper olde worlde, sounds like a lute or a harp. I think I am suitably inspired to learn this one retrospectively.
  5. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    Let me see if I got this straight. Bonaparte crossed the Rhine, and he crossed the Alps. He never crossed the Rocky Mountains, but he did Retreat, and nobody alive today knows how hot his ass felt. Retreat and Rhine are separate tunes, and also separate from Alps and Rockies which are mostly the same tune, along with how his ass felt.
  6. OneFineBob
    OneFineBob
    What kind of mandolin is that, Gortnamora? It sounds beautiful! Nicely played, too!
  7. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Looking through the archives I took a shine to this tune. I had never heard it before this week, but it is stuck in my head now. Here's my take on it...

8. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    Bob, its an Oakwood Nova long scale, i've taken quite a shine to it myself,a hard one to put down, thanks.
    great stuff Peddy, shame we didn't meet up when you were in Belfast mate, could have a bit of craic with the mando's. all the best
    Lawrence.
  9. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    It's not as big a a shame as you might think Lawrence. I only took up the mandolin in August of last year when a friend handed me an old one of his. I never played one when I was in Belfast. I used to play guitar in a band over 10 years ago, but the guitars have been gathering dust since then. If I ever move back I will be sniffing out some sessions alright.

Are you in the west of the city, judging from your gortnamona name? I did some survey work on a site called gortnamona which was part of a big residential youth centre just off the dual carriageway.
  10. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    aye Peddy, i'm orginally from that area , was educated( and i use the term loosely) in GortnaMona school but live in the south of the city these days, a better spot for youngsters. it hasn't taken you long to pick it up mate, all the best, Lawrence.
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    I used "Bony crossing wichever mountains" as an excuse to work on my triplet-picking on my mando and tenor banjo. After so much picking-discipline I indulged in some simplicistic noodling on my Telly
  12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice playing on the mandolin, banjo and the tele. I enjoyed it very much.
  13. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a set of two Irish tunes, both of them previous official SAW tunes, so I'm posting it to both threads.

"Hot Asphalt" is a hornpipe also known as "Bonaparte Crossing The Alps", "The Battle Of Waterloo", "Bonaparte Crossing The Rocky Mountains" (the name for our official thread), "Napoleon Crossing The Rhine" and a number of other variants. It's more commonly in G major, but this is the minor key variant in E minor. The setting I used in written as a jig, but it's really the same rhythm as the hornpipe.

http://www.kstez.de/Hot_Asphalt__Ireland_.pdf

"The Rocky Road To Dublin" is a slip jig, here also in E minor, which makes the transition easier.

http://www.kstez.de/Rocky_Road_To_Du...__Ireland_.pdf

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    [Double-posting removed]
  15. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    I've actually been working on this one myself lately, Martin. For some reason, Bonaparte is always going somewhere in fiddle music — crossing the Rhine, the Alps, even visiting a Mexican restaurant. (I don’t have the music to that one.) Anyway, here is my Bonaparte Crossing the Rocky Mountains. He crossed the Rockies in music, though not in real life.

16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great rhythm, Michael!
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Wait a minute, this doesn’t sound like Bonaparte crossing the Rocky Mountains at all.
    It's too fine and smooth!
  18. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    This must be my impersonation of Wayne Newton playing it on the mandolin then, Simon!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12