La Sansonette (The Starling)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another French tune, was going to add a bodhran but maybe another time.

https://youtu.be/_ms-tdN-Ss8
  2. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nicely played Simon
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What a great tune! I didn't know it before. This is how the Living Tradition works: You have introduced me to the melody, and now I need to learn it.

Your playing is super smooth as usual, and it suits the tune perfectly. No need for any bodhran when you have so much rhythm built in.
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Brian and Dennis, ok no bodhran this time. I actually wanted to get a flock (or swarm!) feeling to the tune and thought about adding more, similar tracks and then having a sort crescendo, random wave rhythm with instruments weaving in and out... but the app wont let me do that!

I’m happy with the result though, I think I get more mileage from tunes named after birds and wildlife than tunes named after ex girlfriends.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    As Dennis said, a new one to me too, Simon, and one to add to the collection. I would hope there are more eponymous bird and wildlife tunes than ex-girlfriend tunes in your life, Simon, but no lists, please!
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John. (I can’t remember!)

Here’s the .abc for the harmony of this tune. It’s basically the melody transcribed down a sixth. (mandolintab.net)

X:1
    T:La Sansonette
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:Bm
    A2 A2 G3 F| EFGA D4|DEFG A2 GA |c2d2 A4|!
    A2A2 G3F|EFGA D4|DEFG A2 GF|EFGA D4:||!
    A2FA BFAB|A2FA BFAB|E3A BEAB|E3A BEAB|!
    A2FA BFAB|A2FA BFAB|E3B AGFE|DEFE D4:||
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great recording, Simon. And very nice visuals.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Intresting wee addendum to the tune, Simon. I was reading a news item this morning which talked about how a murmuration of starlings has been causing temporary power outages in the small town of Airth in Stirlingshire the last few evenings. Apparently they are all congregating on the power lines in such numbers that they make the lines sway, touch each other then this causes the power to cut off briefly.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ouch! They don’t like that. Bad Christmas.
    https://youtu.be/ZUg2L0f21nE