O'Leary's motorbike

1. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    always been a big fan of the Belfast outfit Craobh Rua, this is one of my favourites of theirs. a bit rough around the edges but i found it a tricky enough to get recorded

T: O'Leary's Motorbike
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmix
    |:FGA dAF| BAG FED| FGA dAF| BGF E3|
    FGA dAF| BAG FED| EFG cGE| DED D3:|
    ABA dAD| FAd fed | cBc EFG| cGE EFG|
    ABA dAD| FAd fed | cBc EFG| AFD D3|
    ABA dAD| FAd fed |cBc EFG|cGE EFG|
    ABA dAD| FAd fed | cBc EFG| AFD D2g|
    fed cde| dBd cAG| FAG BGc|AdB cdg|
    fed cde| dBd cAG| EFG cGE|DED D2g|
    fed cde| dBd cAG| FAG BGc|AdB cAG|
    FAG BGc| AdB cAG | EFG cGE|DED D3|
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lawrence, that is very fine jig playing. You have a great lift to your playing here and your picking really emphasises the jig rhythm.
  3. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Lawrence, lovely playing and what a cracker of a tune! Cheers for sharing the ABC's for it as well, definitely on me "to learn" list!
  4. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thanks John, i seem to be playing nothing but jigs at the minute their definately the genre im most comfortable with, cheers Jill, its a belter of a tune isnt it, the best versions ive heard have all been on the banjo too, so right up your street. would love to hear others take on it.
  5. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Great tune, fine playing!
  6. Bren
    Bren
    Thanks gortnamona - that's a new must-learn for me!
    (I do not have and have never had a motorbike)
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great tune Gortnamona, well played of course!

It seems to my ears that you have a slight rhythmic accent on this one, like you’ve been on a journey and just got back.
    I really like the way you brought out the complex rhythm in the first part, just like a motorcycle! With that first triplet which could be outside the first measure it has a 7/8 time feel to it. Then it suddenly takes off in the B part (I think).
  8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simply great!
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hey Frithjof, what a beautiful day it is today!
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I do agree, Simon. I play one time through this new to me jig now. Short after that I ride my bicycle to work in the dormitory. Maybe I play three children songs there. I really like it (no joke).
  11. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Grooving like a steam engine, and the wide fretboard of that 10-stringer goes with it, too!
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice, Lawrence. I left comment on your page yesterday.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great jig picking, nice sound Lawrence!
  14. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Very nice, Gortnamona!

This melody has a strange vibe. I envision it as a story that starts out eerie but has a happy ending, which I tried to express in my little video below. My sound, though, is just MIDI playback (MuseScore 'fiddle' and Chordpulse backing), and I'm still trying to decide on chords. I started with Part C (the cold eerie part IMO), then proceeded to 'happier' A and B parts.

(or direct link)

Misc. notes:
    * 1. Yes you can ride in the snow (up to a point, on dirtbikes anyway) if you have to, I've done it when necessary years ago when I was much much younger. Never been into streetbikes so can't speak to that.
    * 2. The lady in the picture is not me, it's just clip-art from the internet.
  15. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    sounds good to me
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's a nice christmassy impression, JL, and whatever you say, I like to think that's a pic of yourself in a leather jacket
    Bikes have never been for me, though, because of their notorious lack of wheels.
  17. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Thanks, Gortnamona!
  18. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Bertram, thanks! I'm ok with the jacket imagery. And yeah those missing wheels are important, causing the motorcycle's natural position to be non-vertical.
  19. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I like Craobh Rua, too. This is a good jig. The rhythm is just perfect.