Week #54 ~ Shebeg & Shemore / Si Bheag Si Mhor (O'Carolan)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Wow! You really have gone to a great deal of effort here, Simon. I am very impressed by your ingenuity and application. It is great to hear of just what you did and how you did it, and the sound is remarkably good. Keep up the good work!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That is one daring recording setup you describe there, Simon. I am getting excited over live background sounds, and they seem to become more popular for live playing credibility (as in this example). I must find ways to fake that
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Aha - I was locked out for a bit from someone 'fixing' the computer. I am really liking the back-to-nature Simon on the riverbank series. I left comments on all your tunes, so you're welcome, it took forever. But I am a loyal commenter. I see it got a bit chilly, what with the sweater going on after a while. I'm still in ski jackets here. Toques, mittens, boots etc. (sigh)
  4. Steve Larson
    Steve Larson
    Hah, wonderful recording. Really enjoyed the setting.. I could record myself on a frozen lake here but I wouldn't hazard my poor instruments with that endeavor. Perhaps in a few more weeks I can find a mobile stream, too. All that detail is great to read through, thanks for sharing! Always fun to watch/listen, but it's another bit of fun to learn how the sausage was made.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks for the kind comments guys, I really appreciate it. I was thinking about what John wrote about overdubbing.
    It’s interesting that though I did record the image and sound together my foot doesn’t actually tap on the beat. I could probably shift the audio part slightly and it would ‘look’ better.
    I’m going to have to remember in future that body movement helps to integrate the sound.

(No I’m not suggesting that for a future Song a Week we do a mandolin dance vid... though... ah, no)
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Another cool video, Simon. Thanks for all the details of your recording process.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    My fourth time recording this tune. Same arrangement by Evelyn as the version I uploaded last year, but this time with video and recorded without click track. This is how we play it with our group.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    the mandolins are really ringing out loud on this one, Martin, a small step for O'Carolan towards Italy, a giant leap for his music.
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great tone and great synchro on this one.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two versions I haven't commented on yet: Simon's nice and fluent version down by the riverside and Martin's great sounding virtuai group effort.
  11. pluckinstrings
    pluckinstrings
    Pretty darn late to the game on this one. But I thought I'd still give it a go!

12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    It's never too late for this classic, Jason. It is played more in the vein of a tutorial one might watch to learn rather than the more emotive versions done to the tempo of one's own feelings. Nicely done.
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    This weekend, I visited friends in the Ahr valley. Their house is on a hill, so the fllood of 2021 luckily didn't harm them. In spring, they had visited Ireland and showed me some pictures, they had taken. I had the idea of using some of them for a video with Irish music.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    One of my favourite O'Carolan tunes, Christian. Lovely arrangement and fine playing, well up with your usual standard.
  15. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    That is beautiful, Christian. There is no better Carolan than this, which is saying something, and you have completely done it justice.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's a very nice interpretation of this classic, with some really nice harmonies that I hadn't heard this way before.
  17. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Christian, excellent work! can't sound better...
  18. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks a lot John, Richard, Dennis and Jairo!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234