Week #155 ~ The Maid Behind the Bar

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Splendid effort here, Simon. Great picking and a real drive in your arrangement. Your video production has gone up several notches too with the bubbles!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There's a bouncy feel to it, Simon, with a comforting accompaniment. But to complement that visually, those bubbles should have cigarette smoke inside them, puffing it as they burst
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Four new versions by Mike, Jill, Christian and Simon. It was very entertaining to watch all these videos (and some older ones) with different instruments, music styles and visuals.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great playing Simon and those bubbles are a nice idea.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents, I actually wanted to see if I could play at Jill and Gortnamona’s tempo, and still feel comfortable. It’s a very different feeling especially in terms of muscle memory.
    Luckily it was also a lot of fun.
  6. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Here's a version of this with my peeps we just put up on our website, which is about all the performing we get during the pandemic.

7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Mike, I like the happiness you all showed while playing together.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Mike, a fine ensemble performance, reminding us of just what we are missing just now when live playing is not the norm. Great feeling of your group really being tuned in to each other and working together so well. Here's to those good times returning soon.
  9. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Mike, and nice cameo from the cat as well!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice to see musicians who play together, thanks for posting this Mike.
  11. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Sounds great, Michael and band!

Well I've had this lowly MIDI-only MuseScore hypothetical arrangement of "Maid Behind The Bar" for a while now, wrote it months ago - it has parts for 2 mandolins, one GDAE-octave tenor guitar or equivalent, oldtime banjo, regular guitar, and bass. It's untested on actual instruments, as I no longer have most of those instruments and can't afford to buy them. So I try to keep up with music by making do with what I have, and one of things I enjoy is writing stuff in MuseScore in standard notation and tab. Anyway, the little arrow should play the mp3 file in this same browser page:

(or if the embedded mp3 player doesn't work for some reason, the mp3 can be downloaded here)

One thing about not having instruments at hand, it's quite the thought exercise to try to write down the notes that I think I'd probably be playing if I had the instruments sitting on my lap.

If nothing else, writing these little preliminary experimental arrangements is something to do during covid. Certainly keeps the mind occupied anyway. And, I'm finally re-learning the bass clef!

And now, I have to go back and listen to everyone's earlier posts in this thread, as I seemed to have somehow missed this thread before.
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    The Bucktown Revue is often my nightly entertainment. I enjoy the ensemble and it appears they enjoy doing it.
  13. Michael Romkey
    Michael Romkey
    Thanks for all the kind words. JL277z, like the arrangement. Would love to see the score.
  14. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Thanks Michael!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123