Week 18: "Bluegrass Stomp"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    OK, "Blue Stomp" it is.

This is a Bill Monroe composition in D major. The melody riffs around the chords in usual Monroe fashion. This is 1-4-5 progression, with lots of open D and A string drones to put more punch behind the melody. You might want to listen to it a few times if you aren't familiar with it. It's a straightforward tune, but written versions of Monroe tend to make it appear more complicated than it really is. This one will give the wrist on your right hand a workout.

Here's audio for a tasteful Grisman/Watson collaboration:

Here's Mike Compton and Frank Wakefield. It gets kind of psychedelic toward the end.

Old Sausage was kind enough to provide a workable ABC based on the aforementioned Meester Compton. Tater doesn't play anything the same way twice, so I'm sure he wouldn't expect you to, either.

X:1
    T:Bluegrass Stomp
    C:Bill Monroe - Arr. Mike Compton
    L:1/8
    Q:420
    M:4/4
    K:D
    z8 | "D"[dD][dD] [cD][dD] [AD]D2D | [d2D2] [cD][dD] AD2A | [dD][dD] [cD][dD] AD AA | \
    "D7"=c2 cc (3BcB A2 | "G"G,B, D=F =zD DD | DA zA =FE D[DB,] | "D"[A2D2A,2] [ADA,][ADA,] [A/D/B,/][A/D/B,/][ADB,] [A/D/^A,/][A/D/A,/][ADA,] | \
    [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] [ADA,][ADA,] | "A"=cB Ac BA2A | Ad zd A=F (3EFE | "D"[A2D2] [A2D2] [A/D/B,/][A/D/B,/][ADB,] [A/D/^A,/][A/D/A,/][ADA,] | \
    [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] | [dA][dA] [dA][dA] [dA][dA] [dA][dA] | [d4A4] A,B, D2 | \
    [d2A2] [d2A2] [d2A2] AF | "D7"[F2=C2] [F2C2] [F2C2] [FC]G, | "G"G,G, B,D =FF ED | \
    DA2A =FE DB, | "D"[A2D2A,2] [ADA,][ADA,] [A/D/B,/][A/D/B,/][ADB,] [A/D/^A,/][A/D/A,/][ADA,] | \
    [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] [A2D2A,2] | "A"=cB Ac BA2A | Ad zd A=F (3EFE | "D"[A2D2] [A2D2] [A/D/B,/][A/D/B,/][ADB,] [A/D/^A,/][A/D/A,/][ADA,] | \
    [A8D8A,8] | \
    K:C
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  2. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here's my version from about a year ago.

3. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice job, Shaun.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Way to get us started Shaun.
  5. jamann
    jamann
    Ok, here's my attempt at Bluegrass Stomp. I love this tune so this was enjoyable all the way. Hope you like as well!

6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, a great set of variations Jamann, I enjoyed it too.
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Great stuff Jamann. I tried to steal a bit from your version. I'm not sure how successful I was. This tune sounds more like blues than bluegrass to me. My misspent youth was all about rock & roll so I apologize to all the bluegrass purists for my "rock damaged" version.

8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    David, you should've tried it on that electric mando hanging on the back wall there!
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I like that rock n roll version Mr Hansen. Note that this is called "Blue Grass Stomp" (not "Bluegrass Stomp"), and you could make the case that it's not really a bluegrass tune at all, especially the way Bill plays it. Anyway here's my slow and easy version, which isn't very Monroe style. You're either a Bill Monroe kind of guy or you're not, and I'm definitely on the "not" side. As you may know, I like him and his music a lot, I just mean personality-wise I'm not like him.

10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Well, we already have more posts than I thought we'd get for this tune, so ye ha! Jamann, very nice. You too, O.S.

David, you're hearing this tune the way I do. I wouldn't have posted but you gave me the courage. This sounds like a tune from a lost surf movie to me ... a cross between "Deliverance" and "Beach Blanket Bingo," directed by Tobe Hooper. During the double-time part, I have this vivd image of Frankie on his surfboard, hanging 10, while Annette and the gals dance the Twist on the beach.

I tried to learn this with Mike Compton a while back, failed, and haven't done anything to mitigate the failure. So here's my Surfin' Blue Grass Stomp. And may the ghost of Bill Monroe not come back to haunt me.

11. Eddie Sheehy
    I've been working on it ALL day and night (using an unplugged e-mando so's I don't wake the house). Hopefully I'll have something soon...
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was great Mike, I definitely had visions of the Ventures playing along with you, Frankie & Annette. Maybe you should have called it Beach Blanket Bluegrass.
  13. jamann
    jamann
    Very nice David, your mandolin sounds great! I like!
    OS, as always I dig your take on the tune. You make it look so easy, very smooth. I'm jealous!
    Mike, I'm enjoying your version! Very clean, very classy! Well Done!
  14. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Tis tune is very similar to the Knox County Stomp recorded by the Tennessee Chocolate Drops (You can find it the CD "Folks, He Sure Do Pull Some Bow!") and is a form of blues that you can do a lot with. I have it by Andy Statman, Frank Wakefield and others.

A wonderful tune to learn the fretboard with.
  15. Susanne
    Susanne
    This is the first and only Monroe tune that I've ever had courage to work on. I found a tutor video on You Tube last year and started on that... haven't learned the high part but I'm working on it. Will post a video later, promise
  16. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    May the force be with you, Susi.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm scrambling to get ready for my Russian trip but I had to get this posted first...

18. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That sounded great Eddie, is that you're new avatar you're playing?
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes it is. An F4 Mad Mix by Peter Mix and will Kimble - Carbon and Kevlar with Schertler Dyn pickups. Artwork - Falling Leaves - by Peter Cree.
  20. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Cool. In the upper register it sounds like you're adding some reverb. Is that the un-amplified sound?
  21. Eddie Sheehy
    Totally unamplified. The acoustics of this instrument are unbelievable.
  22. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    After reformatting my hard drive, I can't see any of the embedded videos but I can view videos at youtube. any suggestions on how to fix?
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Go the Adobe site and install the Flash player, that will probably fix it
  24. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Here is mine. Didn't do last week, had a little trouble learning two songs and being busy a lot. Haven't had much time to play lately.

25. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Nice job Kyle, Here's mine...

26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice job Chris, your mando sounds better up close.
  27. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    So I just got this today. A Martin Backpacker. I got a great deal and my MAS couldn't turn it down!

28. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Great job Chris!
  29. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Thanks Kyle, How do you like your Backpacker? Gosh it's tiny! I notice that since the body is so much thinner, your picking hand is a lot closer to your leg. Does that make it more difficult to play? Sounds pretty good for such a little body! I kinda want one, but I don't have a justifiable reason to get one. So in the meantime, I'll just enjoy seeing you play yours.

Chris
  30. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    I love it actually! It is real fun to play. Its not that hard once you get used to it. It is tiny, but it has a pretty big sound I think for how small it is. I think you could find a good reason to get one. Say your gonna go camping in the next week or two and you need to bring it along!
  31. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I decided to revisit this one. A little rock-n-roll, mandolin style

32. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice one Shaun. Lots of tasty bits to steal. I mean borrow.
    Gary
  33. Heath
    Heath
    Great job by all! Here's me playing this tune, with my band at our 2nd gig, early November this year.

https://soundcloud.com/justaddmoonsh...-live-the-main
  34. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    If that doesn't get you stomping, it's hard to say what would. Just Add Moonshine is great--love the live medley you put together. That would have been a fantastic show to see.
  35. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Better late than never. I have been practicing this for a while and noticed that it was a SAW before I joined.

36. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Manfred, that's excellent! From all the tunes you've picked previously, I'd never guessed you'd add this one to your playlist. You really do it well and should definitely do some more like it.
  37. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks so much, Marcy.
    In my former life I used to be a blues rock drummer, so this is not so unusual.
    Plus, this tune is played at a moderate tempo (not just by me) and suits me fine.
  38. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow! That's a nice version Manfred. Playing the mandolin in a bluegrass band IS a lot like being the drummer in a blues rock band...
  39. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice version, David OS, rhythm is cool, Manfred too.

Thought I’d post this for motivational purposes. Because it’s a melodically simple tune but rhythmically complicated (for me at least), I think it’s easier to learn like this.

The TAB at the top has an error in measure 6, the z should jump one note to the right. (The measure has only 7 8ths) Also the man plays a lot of down beats(!) to get the Stomp feeling and interestingly, an upstroke after the two triplets, and maybe the guitar mimics that riff too, cant work it out...
    Have been keeping up with your great, and inspiring tunes recently, but not enough time to comment at the moment. Enjoy!

40. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Of course, Simon. The TAB/ABC at the top has an error in measure 6 but the right solution is to substitute the “z” with “c”. Then you get the missing c natural. The term "=z" would be a natural rest. I like to get one every once in a while!

Bluegrass Stomp is cool!
  41. bbcee
    bbcee
    Resurrecting an oldie - man, is it fun to play and add variations to!

Played on my 2 month old Gatti. I'm enjoying hearing the sound change as I bash on it every day. My OH and mandola are sad puppies right now, as the Gatti is the only one getting attention. Hope you enjoy.

42. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great sound from your new acquisition, Bruce. Such a strong and clear tone. I am listening on headphones and that bassline comes through so well in your recording.
  43. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is really well done, Bruce. I am envious of your beautiful hand and fingers position - too many of my fingers are arthritic so I make it work somehow. Great tone on your new baby. I find if you just dust your other ones maybe with the swiffer and talk to them nicely, they will understand and be placated and not too jealous.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Now here’s a tune I’ve been trying to learn for ages! Can’t get the rhythm right.
    Thanks for showing us how it’s done Bruce.
  45. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks very much for the nice words.

Ginny, as someone who has a type of juvenile arthritis, luckily in remission (both the arthritis and juvenility) I can relate to what you’re experiencing, and that you're just getting on with it. It’s really the only choice. Looking forward to your next one, as always.

Oh, also decided to take the OH to work to play at lunch hour. It’s been a patient mando after all!
  46. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Happy new mandolin, Bruce!
  47. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great sounding mandolin, tasteful licks and rock solid timing, Bruce!
  48. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks you two. All i hear are the mistakes, Christian, so thanks for that!
  49. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Sounds great Bruce, but I know what you mean about mistakes.
    Just listen to your recordings about three weeks after posting and you'll agree, you won’t hear any mistakes!
  50. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That was kickin' Bruce! Been runnin this thru my brain for a while now, great tune, must learn.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast