My Home Town

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A year back I posted a couple of John McLellan pipe tunes and now here is my latest McLellan offering, a retreat march called My Home Town - his home town, Dunoon, also being mine for many years and I still live on the outskirts of it even now. John McLellan is one of the most famous Scottish pipers and composers and served in the Boer War and the First World War, gaining his DCM at Magersfontein during the Boer War while serving in the Highland Light Infantry, his piping under fire inspiring his fellow soldiers.

My version is played on my octave mandolin with minimal guitar backing to suggest the pipe drones.

2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice John. Very Scottish. Lovely playing of the octave. Jinx again?
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    And when do they give you your DCM, John, picking under the fire of flowers from your loving audience here on the Cafe? 'cos you sure deserve it.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I would vote for John myself. He deserves any possible decoration for gallantry in the field of music!
    His recordings of PM John McLellan’s compositions are evidence enough.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Steady on there, people! Ginny, yes serendipity again. Two simultaneous postings with very similar titles. Bertram and Frithjof, what can I say other than thanks for your vote of confidence.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Back from holiday, back from quarantine, back to mandolin playing, and back to the Mandolin Cafe - and I wanted to start my catch-up with this video because I knew it would be perfect. As others have said, you are serving music and culture with these kind offerings.
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Welcome back, Dennis. Thanks for updating 15 posts. I thought everyone had gone into music-posting overload for a minute. Glad you are well.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Dennis, and a big welcome back to you.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is Ginny's version of the tune with her own pictures. She has posted it as a new thread but I am copying it to this thread as well so that you can listen to both versions easily.

10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yay Ginny and John. Beautiful, and really agile, canny accompaniment too!
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks John. I'll email you on how to do that.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A sweet declaration of love for your home town. Well performed, Ginny. With a tasteful accompaniment by John.

More comments on the other thread.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Just realised, John, that I missed out on your version above. Really nice, getting the octave to really sing, wonderful, thanks.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks again, all.
  15. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    John picking the octave mandolin on his couch and Ginny showing pictures of her hometown in Canada.
    Both versions are played and arranged really well!