Week #91 ~ Sitting in the Stern of a Boat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Fritjhof, Simon and Gelsenbury.
    I record with a Tascam 8-track recorder and it has some reverb settings:
    hall, plate and room.I used the latter one for this recording, nothing natural, all artificial...
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine version, Christian. Lovely balance to your mix.
  3. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Perhaps foolishly, I didn't check this thread before I recorded my version (though fortunately I did before I posted).

The video is of the Oxford Canal as it used to be. I have lived the larger part of my adult life in Oxfordshire, but only relatively recently discovered that one line of my ancestors were boat people on the canal and the Thames. Oxford has a history of Town v Gown rivalry and, having gone there as Gown I was pleased to discover authentic roots in the Town camp.

Of course, on a canal barge the stern is the one part of the boat where you don't sit.

4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That's very pretty, Richard, and a nice family history connection. Lovely guitar accompaniment and good tone on the mandolin.

Martin
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I really like your version of this tune, Richard. Lovely balance between melody and backing chords and great tone from the instruments.
    The pictorial content is well selected too, with your archival choices of the canal boats.
  6. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you both. I actually tried out various different approaches (some tremolo, lots of tremolo, different guitar arrangements). This is the simplest - sometimes less is more.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A fine recording with calming effect, Richard! Sweet tone of your mandolin.
  8. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Frithjof. As I wrote above, I tried several approaches and ended up with the simplest.
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Maybe a simple arrangement, but a good sounding one, Richard.
    I never tire of your mandolin tone.
  10. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Thank you, Christian. I am not sure how much credit I can take for the tone. I was just listening to a recording I made with my first mandolin, only a few months ago. The tone of the instrument was terrible. I had been thinking of using it perhaps when I travelled, but I don't think I could bear to play it now. So, credit to Howard Morris.
  11. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Inspired by Richard's beautiful rendtion, I rerecorded this tune, but it turned out to be a little hornipe-like with some honky-tonk inflections in the second part.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Your tempo and rhythm have certainly given this tune a new feel, Christian. I think "jaunty" might describe it.
  13. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    I listened to this over on YouTube earlier and now that I arrive here I see that John has used exactly the word that came to my mind. It is indeed jaunty, which is not exactly true to poor old Reverend McLeod lamenting his departure from Skye, but it does give the piece an original feel. And those blue notes in the second part are in fact anything but blue. All played with your usual precision and immaculate tone, of course.
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Christian, your recording turned out a little … different … almost happy. Why not? It sounds inherently consistent.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12