Trollens brudmarsch (The Troll's Bridal March)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a Swedish march, or gånglåt, written by Pelle Schenell (1855-1946), which I'm playing as a duet on two mandolins. The score, with melody and harmony, is here:

https://spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/pd...f?t=1179771224

This one seems to be pretty popular with Swedish fiddlers, with lots of Youtube examples, some faster some slower. Lovely tune, and a pinky workout on the E flat.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good interplay of the two voices.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely duetting here, Martin. A troll wedding sounds like a lot of fun!
  4. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nice Martin, I admire your ability to play complex harmonies.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Lovely duet, Martin. I figure Shrek and Fiona dancing a Sirtaki.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing Martin, your harmonies do sound like dances.
    Reading harmonies is quite a challenge, I mostly use tab and I try to play them as I feel they should be by ear rather than as they are written. Doesn’t always work.
    Well done.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, all! Duets with yourself are fun, but it can be a bit tricky to keep the harmony part in time. I've been playing quite a few classical and baroque duets, which may have counter melodies. This one is relatively straightforward as the rhythm of the harmony largely follows the melody. It's a very enjoyable tune for solo playing, or with a chordal accompaniment as well. There are a number of transcriptions online with chords (e.g. at The Session). Benny Andersson of ABBA has also recorded the tune (link).

Martin
  8. Brian560
    Brian560
    I agree with the other Martin, nice playing and especially the harmonies. It’s a nice tune also. Thanks for the link
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice sound and brillant interplay!
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, that's a proper two-tunes-for-the-price-of-one harmony part! Well played and well recorded!