The Deception (Irish slow air)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a slow air from Francis O'Neill's "Music Of Ireland" (1903), also called "An Cluaineorachd".

My arrangement uses harmonies by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, from Vol. 3 of her "Big Book of Mandolin Trios". Evelyn has also changed the key signature from D major to D mixolydian (i.e. G natural instead of G sharp throughout).

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Here is the ABC as given by O'Neill. If you want to change to D mixolydian, use "K:G" instead:

X:0323
    T:"The Deception" (air) 0323
    C:after Sg't. J. O'Neill
    C:slow, with feeling
    B:O'Neill's Music Of Ireland (The 1850) Lyon & Healy, Chicago, 1903 edition
    Z:FROM O'NEILL'S TO NOTEWORTHY, FROM NOTEWORTHY TO ABC, MIDI AND .TXT BY VINCE BRENNAN June 2003 (HTTP://WWW.SOSYOURMOM.COM)
    Q:1/4=70
    I:abc2nwc
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:D
    "_VB"(A/2G/2)|"^>"(FED) "^>"(A,CE)|D3-D2E|"^>"(F3/2G/2A/2B/2) cAc|d3-d2e|
    (cBA) (GED)|C3-C2(D/2E/2)|FED A,CE|D3-D2||
    A|"^>"(d2e) (f2e)|(d A2-)A2B|"^>"c3(G2F)|(E C2-)C2A|
    "^>"(d2e) (f2e)|(d A2-)A2F|(G2F) (.D2.D)|D3D2||
    (D/2E/2)|"^>"(F3/2E/2F/2A/2) cAc|"^>"(d3/2e/2f/2e/2) d2(d/2e/2)|.f.e.d .c.A.c|d3-d2f|
    (cAF) (GFD)|C3-C2(D/2E/2)|FED A,CE|D3-D2|]

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s an interesting slow air but to tell the truth I rather go with the Danish waltz you posted in the other thread.
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Frithjof. Two very different tunes, certainly. I do enjoy playing slow airs on mandolin as well as waltzes -- no need to choose between them.

The challenge with slow airs is how to deal with the limited sustain of the instrument. For this one, I decided to forego the tremolo option in favour of having the harmony parts filling in, which i think works quite nicely. Not easy to add the overdubs, though, because of the rubato nature of slow airs and the lack of a strong pulse ot the melody.

Martin
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like this tune, Martin. I particularly like the Mid Missouri - it is my favourite. I think it has the best sustain and you can avoid tremolo - or forego it - it works either way.