Circle of the Ocean/The Highest Apple

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here are two lovely Scottish waltzes composed by the MacDonald brothers, Calum and Rory, of the great Scottish Gaelic group Runrig. Played on mandolin and octave, with guitar backing. The video clips are of the beach near Castle Toward on the Firth of Clyde a few miles from my home, with Rothesay on the Isle of Bute in the background on the second tune.

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for this beautiful recording, John.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Wonderful John, I am a big fan of Runrig from way back. I am going to suggest that we change Ginny's 2021 SAW meet & greet to Scotland instead of California, the scenery in your videos is so beautiful.
  4. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice orchestration on this one John. As expected, everything is very well played.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That is so soothing it would calm down a hurricane.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all. I got the film clips on Saturday morning and managed to find a bit of shoreline without people, and that so close to the road too! I had the tunes in my head as I was making the film clips, to get clip lengths I could use without too much editing in the final mix.
  7. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    John, that's some lovely playing and tunes and video. I'm with David--let's meet at John's place in Scotland.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice John, I’ve been missing these breakfast treats!
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I left lovely comments for you John on YT. I agree - John's place 2021. Farm us out to your neighbours..or set up tents in your backyard. (for the younger ones, I need a good mattress!)
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Don, Simon and Ginny! I am afraid that one tent would fill my garden, Ginny and the neighbours are equally pushed for space. Suits me as maintenance is low! I would imagine that Scotland would fit into some of the bigger gardens over your side of the Atlantic.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Reply from someone else on the other side of the Atlantic?
    This is like Wimbledon.

Personally, I’d like to work on a farm in Scotland, with you guys.
    -but I have to say, it’s either work or whiskey, I can’t do both. Ha, ha.

Halo, is e m ’ainm simon. tha e na latha brčagha.
    (Hello, my name is Simon, it is a beautiful day)
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like your Wimbledon allusion, Simon, and we often play our tunes in sets as we post volleys of videos here! By the way, we Scots don't have an "e" in our whisky - you need to go to Ireland for that, and I can recommend the Bushmills!
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Two very nice waltzes, arranged and played expertly!