Week #315 ~ The Blarney Pilgrim

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Blarney Pilgrim, which is a jig.

This tune has had a run here in the social group, as an 'other tune'... here's the link!

Here's a link to the tune, also known as Dean Lloyd’s Jig #1, Jackson’s Rambles, Killoughery, Killoughery Jig No. 1., on thesession.org

There are six settings for the tune on just that site!

Here are a couple You Tube Vidoes:

2. Francis J
    Francis J
    I have'nt posted one in ages, but I know this one. My mandolin is tuned down a full note to FCGD for another project, but I thought the Pilgrim might sound nice in F. Here it is

3. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    Oh this is the perfect tune for making me come back here! If I manage to record a video before Monday...

Francis J, your tone is great, and so are your triplets!
  4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really good job Francis, you've got those triplets down perfectly.

Here's my version on mandolin and bouzouki. Sorry I didn't capture the mandolin on video so you'll have to settle for the bouzouki, which is just a big mandolin anyway.

5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Two great examples here. Excellent work, Francis and James.
    Will have to practice all week to get close to your speed and clarity.
  6. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Francis and James, what a great start with a very nice tune,
    You got my toes tappin' on an early Sunday morning.
    I thought I recognized that Sobell in the example video's.
    It's good to see our old friend Dick [Ptarmi] Glasgow on SAW again.
    Gary
  7. Niavlys
    Niavlys
    James, very nice version with great backing!

I had to give up on the video part because my camera decided to "automatically stop the recording" and I don't have enough time to look into the problem. Anyway it helped me record and edit this in a much shorter time.

Hope you'll like it! (even though there are some critical notes not ringing at times...)
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Six really fine versions of a great tune, gents. All have their own special appeal through choice of instruments (and in one case choice of key!)
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Fine versions by all. I have played this for years.
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Y'all are having too much fun with this one. Thoroughly enjoyed them all. Guess I better try it...
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice! I especially like the slow and slightly darker versions by dustyamps. But the others did also fine. Now, are you ready for something completely different? I found a tab for Campanella style ukulele. That's a style of playing that takes advantage of the re-entrant uke-tuning with the high g-string intead of a low one. Like on a five string banjo. Can throw you completely off when you're not used to it. Reminded me of the time, when I tried in vain to master some melodic banjo. Today I called it a day and thought I present you my meager attempts on playing campanella style ukulele.(Campanella is italian for bells, like church bells ringing into each other).Well at least, I think it's OK to exercise your mind
  12. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Crisscross that version really did sound like bells-great,well done.
    Here is my more straightforward effort.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice! Is that a Big Muddy? Sounds good for that music.
  14. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I wish it were a Big Muddy! In fact its only a Gremlin - made in China and cheap as chips.
  15. MonsterMando
    MonsterMando
    Hope you guys don't mind a little tenor banjo, I always thought this one sounded good on TB.
  16. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Nice MonsterB. I always like a little TB.
    Except when I pick up mine. Then I hate TB.
    Gary
  17. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    More nice versions! Monster Mando plays monster fast, too.
    I just can't play cleanly any faster with DUD DUD:

18. crisscross
    crisscross
    Monster Mando, I wish my TB would sound as good as yours!
    Nice DUD DUD on a nice mando, Manfred !
  19. Daniel Vance
    Daniel Vance
    This is my first submission, although I have been watching for a bit now.

Made it my goal for the summer (one of the best aspects of working in a school) to post every week. Started learning this a few days ago when summer started, and it is still a little rough around the edges, but wanted to post so I would stop obsessing over it and move on to week #316.

Also, anyone have suggestions on how to record two parts and them to put both audios on one video like James did. Would have loved to attempt to add some accompaniment, but was not sure how to go about it.

20. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    eldrich, this is a great first submission. Great tone.
    Multitracking: I have recorded many videos with what I call the poor man's multitracking. I just play an accompaniment (mp3, band-in-a-box, or maybe your guitar audio track) through my PC audio system, play the mandolin along with it and record it with my video recording software.
    That saves a lot of time I can use for practice. YMMV.
  21. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice version even without accompaniment, eldrich!
  22. Daniel Vance
    Daniel Vance
    Thanks everyone.
  23. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I thought ok, today it would be nice to record a tune that Ginny has done recently.
    The Blarney Misfortune, or was it Banish the Pilgrim?
    Something like that.
    My memory. Sorry Ginny!

Well at least I travelled, as requested and did the recording at the seaside.
    Like my turquoise beach towel, gents?

24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ah, but did you really travel? That looks like your regular location disguised by the towel! Well played, wherever you are, Simon.
  25. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Well played Simon. All that practice is paying off.
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Not only the beach towel. I’m also impressed by your swimming costume!
    Nice and steady playing, BTW.
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, Dustyamps and Frithjof, might go swimming soon. Been reading this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_87
    during my interstellar travels. It says there are eruptions at the centre of this galaxy, M87, that produce sound between 56 and 59 octaves BELOW middle C.
    Above middle C yes, I understand that but below? I’m really not sure what that means...
  28. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    We should ask John to do the mathematics to build a super galactic octave mandolin on which Simon could play 56 to 59 octaves below middle C.

- How long is the needed the scale length and how thick necessary the chordometer?
    - I guess “Messier 87” would be the appropriate name.
  29. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I left a 'lovely' comment and did not even mention the great addition of the bath towel giving colour and cheer to the otherwise orange thing whatever that was.
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Simon and Frithjof, considering that we as humans have an auditory range of 20HZ to 20 kHZ, and middle C on the piano keyboard has a pitch of 261.6HZ (so only about 3.5 octaves to go below before we lose the sound), we would be wasting our time creating the tones being mentioned in Simon's humorous posting.

It reminds me of the old idea of the celestial music created when the planets are all in perfect nine-fold harmony, but we as imperfect humans can only hear this sound if we are in a state of perfection. "Ring out ye crystal spheres, once bless our human ears..." as John Milton's hymn says. Also "Let the bass of Heaven's deep organ blow." Lovely piece of mythology now maybe given some credence by Simon's Messier 87 revelations! Maybe we should just stick to our tunes
  31. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Orange thing?! That’s my nest!

Frithjof, I agree with John on this one. I believe the calculation is:
    Scale Length (required)=Scale Length (average octave) X 2 to the power of (# of octaves-1)

And I worked it out. To produce a sound at that frequency, 10e-59 Hz, the scale length would have to be about 30 light years long.
    -if the head stock had Gibson written on it, the ‘dot’ would be bigger than our solar system. As a building project this seems a bit unrealistic and probably expensive.

Better to do as John says and go with the poetry!

Actually come to think of it, the ‘sound’ would have to be transmitted by gravity waves, and yes you probably wouldn’t even notice them passing through, just feel squished a bit.
  32. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    simon
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well played! I'm also very impressed by the tone and recording quality. Your music room has very good acoustics - mellow and rich, like the best cup of coffee in the world.
  34. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Dennis - it's the blue beach towel - it does amazing things to Simon's tone.
  35. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Dennis and Ginny, the microphone is up with the camera to minimise all the clicking and tapping noises that appear to be generated when I stop thinking about the clicking and tapping noises.
    The main energy from the octave goes across the room which is large but with lots of hard surfaces.
    The beach towel is at least forty years old, so not soft.
    The only thing that seems to be ok tonally speaking is that the microphone is quite directional.