Rothbury Hills/Whittingham Green Lane

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a set of two waltzes from Northumbria, both from the repertoire of piper Jack Armstrong (1904-1978) and both recorded by Kathryn Tickell on her album "The Northumbria Collection". My recording on mandolin and tenor guitar is based on a transcription I found in a French collection of session tunes, previously posted here by Simon - Thanks again, Simon. I have previously recorded the second tune as a set with "Bonny At Morn", but in a different arrangement.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  2. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice playing Martin, it is a pretty tune too.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    You delivered a niece and peaceful rendition, Martin. I enjoyed that.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice set og waltzes, the Mid-Mo sounds fine for that purpose!
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks a lot! Northumbrian tunes are often very interesting and a bit different because of the competing English and Scottish influences. Plus, everything that Kathryn Tickell plays is gold anyway -- great player and great personality!

Martin
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two tunes that go so well together, Martin. Well played, sir!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great two tunes and fine playing again Martin.
    I was thinking that a lot of the tunes come from a time when mainland UK was huge with a great diversity of dialects if not languages too.
    I’m not that old, but I remember going to parts of Wales and Devon where it was like a foreign country, couldn’t understand a word they were saying, playing strange music, and drinking lots of cider.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Probably even greater diversity nowadays, Simon! Even in Scotland, my geographically tiny homeland, you will still find a big variety os dialects, though sadly Scottish Gaelic, in spite of great efforts by our devolved government, is barely holding its own. Its strongholds are in the Western Islands and parts of the Highlands which are roughly equivalent to the old crofting counties.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    You play these ever so well. I can certainly hear the Scottish and English accents there. Even a bit of German on the second tune, actually!
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Many thanks for those kind comments!

Dennis: I can sort of see what you mean -- there is a bit of a German folksong feel to Whittingham Green Lane, although I suspect it's more of a generic 19th century parlour song influence.

Simon: As a proud (though non-native) denizen of North Wales I feel obliged to point out that it is a foreign country for the English, and has its own very different native language which is in rather better health than Scottish Gaelic. Cider drinking is more for Devon, though.

Martin
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    As the original site for the Tourne a l'Aube songbook is now down, I've just uploaded it to the Cafe (Link). "Rothbury Hills" and "Whittingham Green Lane" are tunes #429 & #430, on page 133.

Martin
  12. Brian560
    Brian560
    Martin, I have enjoyed the whole series of video's you have recently posted. They are all very well done. Great to see the link to the book.