Week #457 ~ New Five Cent Piece (Buffalo Nickel, Ruffled Drawers)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Oops! So much for the timely manner! This week's winner is New Five Cent Piece (Buffalo Nickel, Ruffled Drawers), which was submitted as an Old Time tune.

Here's a link to one setting on thesession.org

Here's a link to some history of the tune.

2. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's Compton & Grier playing it. I used to know this one. I'll try to get something recorded this weekend.

3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Its a pretty straightforward reel here is my attempt
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great, maudlin!

This tune had a run as an Other Tune by OldSausage five years ago.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    It's a catchy wee tune, M. Nicely played.
  6. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I found sheet music in Nigel Gatherer’s TOW Book 1 with the note: “Learned from a recording of American mandolinist Don Grieser”

The magazine BMG provides an arrangement by John Baldry.

David Surette performs New Five Cent Piece at a Mandolin workshop – a video which I find helpful.

7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Had a lazy afternoon today so got this one recorded. Mandolin and guitar. The mandolin was not the one in the photo but my usual 4-course instrument! Both instruments, mandolin and guitar, recorded into REAPER.

8. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That sounds easy, John. I hope your recording helps me to get this change from measure 13 to 14 under my fingers and not every time to fall back into the D major phrase.
    I also like your accompaniment.
  9. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great to see John and maudlin working up this tune. Very nice versions.

Kinda' got this one back under my fingers. First A is a bit like Compton's break. Second time through is just let er rip. Sounds like the mandolin distorted the camera mic on that low A double stop. Got a little excited and hit it too hard.

10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A cracking version, Don. Great picking and ornaments with the double stop and slides.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great versions all around!

Here's mine, based on Nigel Gatherer's transcription as posted by Frithjof above. In a pleasing bit of circularity, Nigel's version is marked "Based on a recording by American mandolinist Don Grieser" -- when Don has a new recording uploaded just before mine in this thread!

After recording mine, I noticed that Nigel has also posted a more detailed transcription on his site, with Don's slides and hammer-ons (and his own recording):

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab5/5c.html

Mine doesn't have the slides, but does have the double stops. Some differences to Nigel's version, mainly in the ending.

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  12. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I'm famous for playing it wrong on the B part on that old CoMando recording that Nigel transcribed. How embarrassing.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I think that a great tune sounds good at any tempo and I became enamored with the first time through the David Surette version that Fritjof posted above, so here's my take on that on tenor guitar, mandonator, banjo & bass. 1866 was the year that the first 5 cent piece was made.

14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Sounds great, David. Always enjoy your versions of the tunes.
  15. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Great versions all!

Well I haven't tried to play it on an actual instrument yet, still trying to work out some chord-variations just for fun... but some of my little variations are already starting to bother me (I don't like the 3rd as bass note in some of the 'slash' chords) and I'll probably change them some more.

Below is MIDI-only computerized playback of two different apps playing simultaneously (my usual tune-learning method lately). The standard notation is the same as that on TheSession.org. As to my chords, I think the "b" part (Part 2) is probably better, that starts at measure 17 at about 0:26.

This is just a quickie screen-grab video of my entire computer screen, not cropped or tidied up. I just slapped on a couple quick watermarks and a text explanation string. Pardon the 'desktop' clutter.

(or direct link)

Recommend to *not* try this kind of speculative experimentation in public jams. Lol. Stick with the modern standard stuff for group/public playing.

However, that said... I grew up with oldtime fiddle/banjo tunes and most times (around where we were, anyway) there was usually no guitar, but the banjos would often play harmonies which, looking back on it, didn't always fit into the mainstream I-IV-V chord system that I learned about later. The strange harmonies gave the music that kind of haunting sound. Reminds me a little of some of the Irish trad tunes that don't quite adhere to modern western music theory stuff all that well, more ambiguous as to the harmonies. With guitars everywhere now though that's all changed (sometimes for the better, sometimes not, just depends).

My point is, I don't think it's necessarily "non-traditional" to experiment with different chords. I think the older pre-guitar-era banjo players probably experimented a lot more than we modern people give them credit for (particularly for some of the "sus" (suspended) chords) - they weren't likely to know formal music theory, but they knew what notes they liked the sound of.
  16. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That's a great tune. What a great versions already. It's nice to hear that there are a lot of ways to play it. A Speedy version from Maudlin, The swinging version from John, a bluegrassy version from Don, The classic touch from Martin, a bouncy version on from David and at last even an electric version frm JL277z. Thank you all! You all sound great. Now I must see what I can do, not much left I guess.
  17. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    luurtie wrote: "... Now I must see what I can do, ..."

Looking forward to hearing your version!
  18. bbcee
    bbcee
    After only knowing Adam Steffey's version, really great to hear all these interpretations. From a truly 1866 feel to bluegrass shredding and everything between.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David and Martin, interesting and enjoyable versions from you both. JL, your screen-grab video is really interesting, and the point about bass notes in the slash chords is important as a bass line gives so much to the tune.
  20. woodwizard
    woodwizard
    The version that everyone appears to be playing is, "to me", the bluegrass version of New 5 Cents. Here is the old time version.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-parks-7/new-5-cents
  21. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I sold Larry my Passernig A5 some time ago and we've stayed in touch. He occasionally sends me tunes and leaves a spot for me to play along with him. Some social distance jamming. I finally got an up-to-date iMovie and recorded myself playing along with him and put a split screen video together. What a fun project!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Y3gsr0ZZQ

22. Brian560
    Brian560
    What nice playing !
  23. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Nice! Good toe-tapping dance rhythm, and nice variations and harmonies. A very enjoyable listen.
  24. bbcee
    bbcee
    Yea, Don & Larry, that's some seriously fun playing! Love the harmonies in the 3rd A as well, Don.
  25. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice tune, fine versions! Thanks for the link to Nigel Gatherer's tunebook, probably, I'll also try it one of these days...
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks, Don and Larry. What a fun you had. Very enjoyable to listen to.
  27. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed our little quarantine collaboration.
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great driving version, guys!
  29. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice rolling rhythm, a lot of fun, thanks.
  30. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I enjoyed this very much, thanks guys. A good toe tapping rendition with some really ice harmonies. These distance collaboration are becoming the thing to do now.
  31. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That was really enjoyable, thank you!
  32. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Oh yes, Paul Warren ...

33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That's a very nice and happy version, Mike. I like how you throw in some chords.
  34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That’s a happy version, I like those slides too, thanks Mike.
  35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    That's some fine playing, Mike. Cool variations. I'll have to look for Paul Warren's playing of this tune.
  36. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful playing everyone, this is one of my favorites - here's a version I did these many years ago when the world was but young:

37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Mike. David, great to hear you again. Fine delivery from away back whenever!
  38. bbcee
    bbcee
    That is a lively, happy rendition, OS! Sounds great.
  39. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What can I say? Two absolutely fantastic renditions, and it's all happening here at the Mandolin Cafe Song-a-Week group!
  40. Simon DS
    Simon DS
  41. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Somehow I missed all those great versions that have been posted to this thread this year, from Don and Larry's distanced duet to Mike's ineffably relaxed-yet-much-faster-then-me version to OS's think-that's-fast-just-watch-me one and now Simon on the OM for a greater sonority. All brilliant!

Martin
  42. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Martin, it’s funny, I don’t often even try to go fast but I enjoy doing it.
    Maybe I’ll try that on the next tune a week.

Hmmmm, Hole in the Wall by Henry Purcell -now that is really going to be fun!
  43. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I like this tune. Lots of great interpretations on this page, and the one from Simon is a worthy addition. You always manage to play in perfect time and without mistakes.
  44. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Hey Dude. Every time I play a tune a shifting, flickering, dancing image arrives in my head.
    It’s often someone I used to know.
    They want to dance, how can I say no?