Terry’s Tussle

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a tune I wrote, the first I’ve published anyhow...

https://youtu.be/xjTbmK9G1SQ

Capo on the fifth fret if you have an octave -that’s if you want to:
    a). play it
    b). use the same fingering as the vid
    Enjoy!

X:1
    T:Terry's Tussle
    R:Jig
    M:6/8
    L: 1/8
    K:Dm
    |ABA G2B|AGE FED|EFG A2E|C2E G3|
    DDD FED|DDD d2D|FED ^C2D|1B,A,A, A,3:|2A,B,C D3|
    |:gfe fed|e2c d2A|BBB d2B|BBB e2B|
    gfe fed|eae c2A|EFG c2E|DED D3:|
  2. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely Simon, maybe just me but im getting an eastern European feel to it
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Funny you should reply first Gortnamona, I was thinking of some of your vids while playing the middle of the A part where it takes off a bit and really gets going, though I don’t think I gave it enough in that part.
  4. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I like the tune. The camera position is excellent for people wanting to learn te tune. Nice Job!
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is a fine composition, Simon. It has a real lift to it and just prances along. I note in your abc that you have it marked as a reel but then add the time signature as 6/8 (?) It certainly has a great jig feel to it.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    There is a lively Marrakesh market hidden in that jig. And the graphics are somewhat "sketchy"
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Congrats, Simon!
    Your tune sounds danceable (not that I could do that). I also like the sketchy video.
  8. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Gents, John, got the typo sorted -the computer didn’t help me with that one!

I’m pleased you believe it’s danceable. I did remove a couple of measures that were adding a lot more conflict. Yes, storm clouds over Marrakesh, sultry, but ugly. it was more like tango wrestling, fighting for live chickens between market stalls than a mild, pastoral jig.
    It seems ok now though.
    I really like these exotic scales. Maybe some Greek Rembetika next...
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I thought it was much lovelier than the live chicken fight.
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Now that you mention it Ginny I have been playing Cluck Old Hen and some of the other simple OldTime tunes using the harmonic minor scale and double harmonic minor. Some sound great (to my ears) and very different, and some sound not great at all!

Some of them sound good with a different rhythm too, and especially rests, strange chords and one note measures.

Maybe it’s like jazz where you need space for the audience to work out what’s happening.
  11. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Congratulations! It's a good tune.