Week #503 ~ John Brown's March

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Well, so much for a timely manner! This week's winner is John Brown's March, which was submitted as an Old Time Tune.

Here's a link to notation.

2. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
  3. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Fine rendition Mike! Well played and great tone. I really enjoyed it.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your nice recording, Mike.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Mark Gunter played an arrangement by Norman Blake over there in the Newbies Group three years ago – including a link to a tef file at Mandozine and a similar PDF at his site.
    Thanks Mark.
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Very authentic sounding, Mike!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I used the YouTube antique filter on this one.
    Enjoy!

8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like the song, it is very well played. I like the filter. Can we change the bedding? at the back though? My preference (not that it matters) is the window nook. Or the nature scenes. Did you ever get the email I sent you on your birthday? The email I used was the one connected to this site.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well it’s alright for some!
    All your accusations, at least John Brown got some sort of a trial. Not me.

And how do you know the furniture behind me is a bed?
    And if I had exceptionally short legs? and it was a huge sofa behind me? How do you think my feelings would be? By your words?

Sorry about the email though, it’s maybe my spam filter, I have contact with very few people so it tends to filter everything, and anything from Canada.
    I will try to do better.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Fine melody playing and accompaniment, Simon.

Ginny – wouldn’t it be nice to have a voting for the bedspread Simon is allowed to use in his videos for the next two weeks. Barbara could easily include that in our bi-weekly poll for the tune of the week.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good arrangement and backing once again, Simon. Your backing tracks are really blossoming. Fine playing too!
  12. Brian560
    Brian560

Nice versions Mike and Simon. I worked on this tune way back when this thread started, but I forgot to post it. Maybe I will try to do another version
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great to hear you posting Brian and really nice tone on your mandolin. You’ve certainly got the feeling of the tune there, well done.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Awfully weak liver in this man, John Brown, so he became an Abolitionist, but lovely tune!

Had another listen to mine but I really like the version by Mike and great playing, I may try this one next.
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Different version…

https://youtu.be/qKmVZ3v4-fs
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Obviously, you decided to play it faster now – more like an automatic rifle.
    Nice how the Banjolele comes in.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The banjolele and the octave mandolin are played very well together, Bravo Simon!
  18. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thank you Gentlemen. Yes, I’m so glad I invested in these instruments. The octave and the banjolele are a class act.