Sandy's New Chanter

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A great, cheery wee tune written by Pipe Major Tom McAllister and passed on to me by one of my fiddle-playing friends. There are lots of piping versions on the net if you want to listen to it on the instrument it was written for.

I play it a bit slowly here for a hornpipe, I reckon, but age does not come alone! Melody on mandolin with guitar backing and a second mandolin track adding chords.

Those of you who know my regular mandolin from other videos might notice that it has an armrest in this video. I had just finished repairing a fiddle this week and decided that I would have a go at making an armrest for fun. Not sure about it yet as this is the first tune I have played with it fitted - temporarily with double-sided tape!

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Now there's a challenge for my memory - this one rings a bell, but where have I heard this before?
    Cheery wee tune with a great Brobdingnagian delivery

p.s. got it: it reminds me of the D part of High Drive!
  3. Leo37
    Leo37
    Thank you, I like it - it sound so positiv to me.
  4. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The armrest seems to have a positive effect on your playing: it's clean yet relaxed. Leave it on your mandolin...
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Happy, optimistic tune. Or maybe it’s the way you play it, thanks.
  6. Brian560
    Brian560
    Nice tune cleanly played. very enjoyable
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nice tune John, enjoyed it a lot.
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Lovely tune!
  9. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    thats just lovely John, great sounding mandolin too
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    To listen to your playing makes me happy, John. And it conjured a smile your own face, too.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Many thanks, all. I am glad I had this tune passed on to me and it certainly seems to cheer folk up when they hear it. I have been told the local fiddle workshop here has taken it up as their tune of the week using my video as their exemplar. Tomorrow the stars!