Matelote (#37 Johannes de Gruijtters Collection, 1746)

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok so here’s my first attempt using a limited number of untitled pix.
    Hope you like the paintings, any guesses at the main artist here?
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very catchy wee tune, Simon, and a change of video format from your usual. I like it!
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, going through these paintings has been quite enjoyable.
    The main artist is actually from north of the border there! Joan Eardley. I love her paintings.
    A bit squeaky on the fretboard too because I’ve been playing a lot of guitar...

Next time I’ll try to find a bigger selection from which to choose.
  4. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice picking! This tune seems to have echoes of at least two other melodies I know, so it's a bit confusing. Where did you find this collection of tunes?
  5. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very nice, Simon! I was playing through much of the Gruijtters collection a few years ago -- some nice tunes there. I think I found them through Michel Van Der Meiren's site (link). Michel has arranged dozens of tunes from that collection.

Martin
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Many thanks for the link Martin, I’m actually looking for these tune collections that have some harmonies, though I still have to get my act together and learn to read music! All my tune books so far also have tab.

Here’s the Tala repertoire from their site that has since closed in part. It’s on page 20
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kaxyakl6at...DOTAB.pdf?dl=0

All TAB too. But be warned though, there are a lot of wonderfully tragic French, Belgium and maybe even German medieval tunes in there -consume with moderation.
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I like the actual bodhran here and the nice picking. And I think soon we will all be curators of art and music. Next stop the Rijksmuseum.
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thanks for those links, I'll have a good look!