A Trip To Paris/Portsmouth

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    A Trip To Paris (Walsh, 1711) - 0:00
    Portsmouth (Playford, 1701) - 1:30

This is a set of two early 18th century English country dances, "A Trip To Paris" published by John Walsh in 1711, and "Portsmouth", from the 11th Edition of Playford's Dancing Master (1701). I am using harmony parts by Michel van der Meiren:

https://michelv.be/concertina/data/f...p-to-paris.pdf
    https://michelv.be/concertina/data/f...portsmouth.pdf

Played on a vintage Italian bowlback mandolin, with accompaniment on second mandolin, mandocello and tenor guitar.

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

We are playing these two settings regularly at our weekly practice group meetings -- they're great fun, and I've tried to convey that in my home recording.

Martin
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Since I like early music I enjoyed your recording, Martin.
  3. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I especially like Portsmouth, nicely played with your little orchestra, Martin!
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Christian and Frithjof. I tend to prefer "A Trip To Paris" -- mainly because Portsmouth is bit too well-known. It's Mike Oldfield's highest-charting UK single as well as the song of Portsmouth FC, and even our local village brass band (ranked third in Wales and No. 30 in the world!) play an arrangement in their repertoire. The two tunes do go together quite nicely as a set.

Martin
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Well, nothing against Portsmouth, but I'd always prefer a trip to Paris over one to Portsmouth. Remembering the restrictions on travel at the moment, I feel drawn towards Paris even more! I so hope that our holiday in La Ciotat near Marseille can still happen at the end of August.

I digress. Thank you for sharing these tunes.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well done Martin, fine playing.

Dennis the villages here in France are like it was 40 years ago, loads of happy French urbanites who would normally be at an expensive beach resort in a far away country are now walking around the markets here. They’re relaxed too because they don’t have to pay out a lot of money to be on holiday at their parents’ villa. You’ll have a great time!
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    My wife is French, so we spend a lot of our holidays there. As you say, we always have a great time. In some ways, I feel more at home in France these days than in the UK, but that's a long and political story. It's great that the Mandolin Café world is so diverse and international!