Astrid Valse

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    A Swedish waltz I learned from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRmK...eature=related I still haven't got the dog's part down yet but I'm working on it. Played on mandolin, octar, concertina, guitar & bass to images of famous and not so famous Astrids.

X: 1
    T: Valse Astrid
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Amin
    |: E2 |"Am" A4 B2 |c4 d2 |"Am" cBc dcB |A2 c2 e2 |
    "Dm" a3 gfe |d2 f2 a2 |1 "Am" e4 c2 |B4 :|2 "Am" e6- |e4 ||
    |: e2 |"Dm" a3 gfe |d2 f2 a2 |"Am" e3 fec |A4 B2 |
    "G" c2 f2 e2 |d2 c2 B2 |1 "Am" A3 Bcd |e4 :|2 "Am" A6- |A4 ||

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Relaxed happy tune there David. Wow - so many unknown Astrids with knees, sails and a crowbar; I recognized Astrid Lindgren, though.
  3. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bertram I am surprised that you didn't recognize Astrid Kirchherr, the German photographer who took all those lovely photos of the Beatles in their Hamburg days.
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I am afraid Germany might be larger than you think, David, even before the reunification. All I knew about the Beatles in their time is that that was the music that made my parents turn the radio off when I listened to it (my parents were both professional classical musicians who took music very seriously). Sidetracked by this, my first record I bought was Focus at the Rainbow, went on to buy Genesis, stayed clear of Rockn'Roll. At that time, we hardly paid any attention to record cover credits other than those of the musicians and the track titles. The one word that stayed in my mind, though, is "Hipgnosis" - I never understood what it meant.
  5. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    That's great David, I only watched your video to begin with, then re-read the post and saw the video you linked too. The dog is the star!!!!!!! Lovely tune.
    Bertram, you old rocker, I have all the Focus stuff, Pierre Van Der Linden is a favourite drummer! Banned from listening to the Beatles? Your parents were way too serious! Good job they didn't listen to the Portsmouth Sinfonia!!!!!!
  6. bratsche
    bratsche
    Tosh, what dog?? There is definitely a white, long-eared and red-eyed cat at 0:45...

I first saw this video from my subscription list before reading the commentary here, and was looking for someone on horseback, because I thought it said "Astride" Valse.

Seriously, nice job, David! I marvel at how you can sync together so many tracks. I have plenty enough trouble with only two, but then I'm working on the extremely cheap. What are you using to record yourself?

bratsche
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Bratsche, the dog is in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRmK...eature=related and he sings. I use an outdated MOTU 828 http://www.sharpened.net/reviews/rev...Firewire_Audio firewire analog to digital converter and record directly to my hard drive. It's not state of the art anymore but it still works pretty good for my needs.
  8. bratsche
    bratsche
    I'll say it does - but I looked, and it's all Geek to me! ;-) Since my hot and loud home office atmosphere isn't conducive to recording anyway, with my computer or otherwise, I've been using the device I currently own with the best sound quality - my old Canon SD450 digital camera - but it doesn't record tracks that are completely in sync - they drift to and fro when I attempt to line them up together. I'm still trying to deal with some tracks I recorded weeks ago. So after 15 or 50 edits, I might have something that finally doesn't sound weird, and may look a little funny. But it's a tedious amont of work!

Ah, I finally heard the singing dog video. I was really cracking up over that!

BTW, Astrid with the crowbar looks scary...

bratsche
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    At last got around to watch that dog thing, too. With my eyes closed, I was able to picture a small cabin in Siberian winter, men with vodka + accordion inside, wolves outside. Nasdrovie tovarish! Audio can be so misleading...
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Astridin Valssi or Astrid Valse sounds like the same tune to me.
  11. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, David. Indeed, that's the same tune. Apologies for my search failure.

For future reference, here is the video I've just posted as a separate thread:

This is a Swedish waltz, originally from the repertoire of the group Norrlåtar (from Norrbotten), who recorded it on their 1978 album "Urminnes Hävd". This arrangement is from Michel Van Der Meiren's site, who says he learned it from the Swiss folk band Tamatakia:

http://www.tangosite.com/concertina/.../astridin-vals

Tamatakia's recording is available as a free MP3 from their website: Link

I have also seen the tune referred to as "Astridin Vals", "Astrid Waltz", "Valse Astrid" and "Astreidin". The tempo of the various recorded versions varies from quite fast to very slow. I think a quicker tempo suits the tune, and have recorded it like that. I'm not sure if the fact that Norrlåtar used the Finnish word "Valssi" rather than the Swedish "Vals" indicates a Finnish origin for the tune.

I have adapted and recorded the arrangement for a trio of mandolin, octave mandolin and tenor guitar:

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Since my previous recording in 2015, this lovely waltz has become part of our group repertoire, and I have now revisited it for a new home video.

I have played the tune on two mandolins and tenor guitar, with mandocello coming in for the repeat. Harmonies are taken from two different versions. Harmonies on the first repeat are by Michel van der Meiren, from:

https://michelv.be/concertina/data/f...ridin-vals.pdf

Harmonies for the second repeat are by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, who kindly credited my 2015 Youtube recording as her source for the tune (and proceeded to arrange it quite differently).

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-185 mandocello

Martin
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That's very nicely done Martin. I had someone on Facebook ask about tremolo and I said..go to your channel..you will see and learn.
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Many thanks, Ginny. Glad you like my tremolo!

For more tremolo, also check out my recent recordings of Azalea Waltz (on the Gibson) and of Corelli's Sarabande (on the bowlback).

Martin
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's an effective use of tremolo, indeed. It's a great tune with or without, but it makes for an interesting interpretation.