Harrin Jenkka

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a new one for our Other Tunes list, a Finnish Schottis/Jenkka.
    https://thesession.org/tunes/19325
    -I was thinking we could try to learn a new tune every day from that list but it would still take us more than seven years to get through it!

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very atmospheric tune, Simon. Sounds almost like you are using a click track, but I notice the movement of your right foot, so reckon that is what the tapping is!
    Great tone from your instrument too.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks John, actually I was wearing my heavy walking boots at the time and occasionally started the old foot tapping, but out of time, so I recorded a bodhran track over the top with plastic bottle brush to cover up the blemishes!

-next time I might do one with other sounds, dogs barking, or crowds cheering maybe, I haven’t heard that for quite a while now.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Simon. I like the rhythm track, too.
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Frithjof,
    it’s been confusing because I’ve been playing a lot of flat picking guitar recently.
    When I recorded this it felt like my fingers were constantly turning around and asking my head, ‘are you sure we have to move like that for the next measure?’ Lots of last minute (millisecond) decisions on where to go!
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice tune and playing Simon!
  7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I like that one, I just learned another Finnish tune, maybe I'll try a set?
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Maybe do a geographical theme Simon. And if that tap is a bodhran then I don't know where that bodhran came from...Finland maybe - a Finnish bodhran?
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks guys, just had that thing where YouTube suggests a tune to you and you think, ‘no, don’t listen to it, it’ll just become another tune that’ll go on your list.
    But I did, and now it is.
    Polska Fran Morko, https://thesession.org/tunes/15872 Lovely!

Ginny, I’m sort of following David’s Scandy theme, with other European countries included...
  10. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Noooooo, my to-do list is already so long!

Great tune, Simon. And smooth playing as usual.