Week No. 26 ~ Midnight on the Water

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Very nice Martin, I really enjoy that tune. It is one I fool with often when I want to practice starting and stopping tremolo. Thanks for posting.
  2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Another nice recording, Martin. Good interplay of all voices.
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Martin has lovely tremolos. But BH - this can be done without triplets. A quarter note ( or more) is not thine enemy, especially if you have a back track. Let it ring out.
  4. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos

My canaries decided to participate in the recording ...
  5. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice arangement and peformance, Martin!
    And fine recording, Jairo!
  6. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Really good arrangement and playing, Jairo.
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the nice comments, and very nice playing on your recording, Jairo -- very relaxing!

Martin
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    A great recording, Jairo. And your canaries make it unique.
  10. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Well, my tenor guitar has turned into a decorative dust collector, not leaving its instrument hook for the last three months. But yesterday, I released it from its place on the wall, put on some fresh strings, and printed out Midnight on the Water from Will Fly's Tenor Guitar Tune Book. I had to get reaquainted with the CGDA tuning and recorded this fiddle tune on my tenor guitar:
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great to hear this fine tune being revived here, Christian. You have produced yet another excellent recording and the stereo spacing works so well through my headphones. Lovely video too!
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Luke and Benny Thomasson would be pleased. Very nice, CC.
  13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks for the reminder Christian. Well played, it does feel like night time, and nice images too.
    I really have to learn this sometime...
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    A fine rendition, Christian. Well played indeed.
  15. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great tone and interplay of both instruments, Cristian.
    The sheet music of this nice tune is on my to-do pile. Probably I should bring it to the top.
  16. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks everyone, the arrangement is from Will Fly's Tenor Guitar Tunebook: http://www.mjra.net/WillFly/Tenor%20...20Tunebook.pdf
    The tunes are arranged for instruments tuned CGDA. but if you read the tabs, you can play them on a mandolin, if you change the chords a fifth upwards.
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Midnight On The Water is one of my favorite fiddle tunes. I have backed this song up on guitar for many a fiddler, so I decided to see if I could play it on a mandolin. I've used the original fiddle tuning for this tune: DDAD (from lowest to highest strings). It took my mandolin a few days to settle in and keep relatively in tune. That low D string is really a treat I'll tell you. I used my 1913 Gibson F2 mandolin as it has the nicest sustain of all my mandolins. The guitar is a Simon & Patrick dreadnought in standard tuning. I put the capo at the second fret. Everything is recorded flat and the resulting sound is true to how the instruments really sound. Hope you enjoy my effort...

18. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Typically Stuche - meaning totally awesome !! I'd like to say more but the recording says it all.
  19. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Really beautiful Michael! The pace, and your playing, set the perfect atmosphere for this tune. I've never tried alternate tuning on a mandolin, it really adds a little something different to the sound. So nice to have your input!
  20. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    This is one of my favorites also. I never would have thought of changing the tuning on my mandolin and can't quite wrap my head around having the 4 lowest strings tuned the same. It certainly seems to work, though.

Thanks to you guys, I'm learning to listen for the details in your playing, as opposed to simply listening for the enjoyment of it. Hope that makes sense.
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Michael, so good to see you posting, and this latest is well up there with your usual standard. Lovely balance and separation of the instruments.
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks all! Frandolin, alternate tunings are a pain. Especially the one I used which some call the dead man's tuning. Guitars handle alternate tunings well and I use them all the time. Mandolins have to settle in to a tuning over a few days before you can expect to stay a pitch in my experience. Many of the tunings come from the fiddle. There is an excellent discussion here on the Mandolin Cafe's Forum entitled Alternate Mandolin Tunings on this very subject.

Sherry, the lowest D string is a drone, as is the highest D. The two sets of interior strings handle most of the melody except in the b part where you have to find the melody on the high Ds as well. So you get to strum a lot of strings when you play the tune and it sounds mysterious and jangly. I learned this tuning from a fine fiddler I play with. She plays Bonaparte's Retreat using this tuning as well as Midnight On The Water and some others.
  23. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Interesting!
  24. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Good to see you posting again, Michael! What a great rootsy sound your version of Midnight on the Water has, the detuned mandolin sounds excellent. (It probably does so in standard tuning.)
  25. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Here's my addition to this already great thread.
  26. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    And what a great addition, Frank!
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This one first appeared back in 2009, Frank, and great to see it being revisited since its last airing almost a year ago.
    You put your own interpretation on this one too, and it sounds great.
  28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great arrangement and killer tone...!
  29. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Very expressive playing, Frank -- an inspiration!

Martin
  30. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your great version, Frank. It’s nice to see how fast you become one with your new mandolin.
  31. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Thanks Much Gentlemen!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123