Dark Island

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Recorded in isolation and through internet messages...Thanks for watching.
    Northfield mandolin and octave by me, guitar by Emory.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ginny, a truly lovely version of one of our great Scottish tunes. Playing, arrangement and pictures all come together so well. Congratulations to both of you.
  3. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    One of my favourites Ginny, well done.
  4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Beautiful -- very soothing.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Ginny – this is an amazing recording. One to listen to and calm down after a long day's work.
  6. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Wonderful music and pictures!
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you all. It came out pretty good considering it was recorded in my spare bedroom. My initial description on YT was politely corrected by a viewer..and I had to change my text. (oops)
  8. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Ginny - very nice mix and tone, and such a pleasing melody. Thank you for posting.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    What a beautiful and serene arrangement - so that's what heaven is like.
    Where did you get the seagulls?
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I actually saw seagulls in our grocery store parking lot yesterday...actually the waves/seagulls are from the same source as the rain sounds that sent you running down the hall to the bathroom in Celtic Rain..it's called..www.freesound.org....all sorts of sounds free to download.
    And thank you for the kind comments to all who commented.
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    (edited)

-got to play more tunes and write less.
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Ginny, I thought I would post the link to the version I made back in 2010, not to try to steal your thunder, but to give a different interpretation of the tune. If I recorded it again now I think I would probably drop the synthesised sounds and stay with real instruments. Your version with Emory's guitar backing really suits the tune so well, and it is a melody that maybe suits the present mood we find ourselves in.

13. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That octave of yours sounds great John, and that really is a lovely tune.
    I’d like to learn this but not sure about how to do the rhythm.
    (and thanks again Ginny)
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    John..I sent Emory your YT version without checking it all the way through - and he did up an A and a B part..and my music does not have an A and a B - so he had to do it all over again. (oops) I go straight through twice. Also I like the synthesized sounds..
  15. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    John - very nice, and I kind of like the synthesized tone of the backup - very soothing. Both great sounding (your version and Ginny's). The mood of the song sort of reminds me of Ashokan Farewell. I will definitely make an attempt to learn this one. Thanks
  16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Bad Habbits - you should start a YouTube channel so you can post and we can follow you and make mostly nice comments. We also like to comment on your home decor, what you're wearing and the view out your windows...just so you're prepared.
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    What’s your YT address, BH?
    Can you do you vids to start with in the kitchen?
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    BH, it was the SAW group got me started on using YouTube about ten years ago, so you should give it some thought if you have not aready got a channel set up. Give an incentive to work on tunes and ideas and learn new stuff.
    Simon, both Ginny and I are playing the tune in fairly slow waltz time, and that will give you a start with the rhythm. Stronger first beat then two quieter beats, and plenty of scope either for strummed chords or arpeggios. I like arpeggio chords when the tune is going to be listened to, and strummed rhythm if it is used for dancing, if that makes sense. Dancers need the steady rhythmic beat while listeners like to savour the subtle variations we can bring to the tune by holding a note a bit longer or playing a phrase in a slightly different way.
  19. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Ginny - I have a channel set up, just don't use it. Only videos on it are posted here. As far as the other stuff, the house is a wreck, I look like a destitute bum, and the view out the window - all you have to do is think MUD ! I do a lot of recording, (WAV) but I live out in the sticks and have a very slow internet, so uploading takes forever - why I post very few videos.

Simon - My wife would shoot me!

John - I have the incentive, and have been playing/practicing a lot. I used to use the complaint - "So many tunes and so little time" - but now I think I've changed it to "So many tunes and so little ability" - but I'm making progress slowly but surely. Thanks for the explanation of Dark Island, I figured out the chords last night, so will be working on a backing track - and I agree with your assessment of arpeggios vs. strummed backup, although I do tend to get a bit carried away rhythmically.
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    BH you’re losing points every week!
    You may not be aware of the rule on SAW, it’s that you get 97/100 points for posting.
    Someone could post a SAW vid of their mother in law smashing up their favourite mandolin. If we can hear a couple of notes from that mandolin then they get the full 97 points. It’s that easy. Some people in the past have got the full 97 points just by writing out a joke, they didn’t play a note. It wasn’t even their joke.
    And my internet connection is very slow too. I just post the vid before going to sleep at night. Most mornings it’s been uploaded.

Here’s your first tune: https://thesession.org/tunes/728 plus images of cows or clouds or something.
    Good luck!
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Don't let our Simon put you off, BH. I too have a slow internet connection here in rural Argyllshire. My nearest fibre is in my cereal in the kitchen cupboard. Does this get me extra points as an original joke, Simon? 125/100 perhaps?

I have put a pdf of the tune with the chords I used over on the "Thread for Social group mp3 posting". Cannot remember how to do the link here to there.

Keep up the tunes, everyone.
  22. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Simon - since I've managed to post 5 videos in the last month, and zero in the 6 years I have been following SAW - I figure I have more than enough points for a while. Also, I checked the tune, Scatter the Mud, and have to say it isn't a tune I would gravitate to, but since you have assigned it to me, maybe I will give it a try. (If I could just get it in my head!)

John - thanks for the PDF - I was surprised to learn that I had the chords mostly right! And don't worry - I'm not intimidated very easily (Well, maybe by my wife!)

Thanks
  23. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your video and for the provided pdf, John.
  24. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    "My nearest fibre is in my cereal in the kitchen cupboard."

Back to 2002. I had totally forgotten about this one - thanks for reminding me:
  25. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    This is so tastefully done. Love it.