Week #4 ~ Soldier's Joy ~ (REVISITED)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Those resonator instruments have such an interesting sound. Well played!
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Martin, that was enjoyable! Thanks for posting! And, kudos for your 'recording studio'! It's a beautiful space!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Barbara! It's a rather different version from your military-style rhythm -- I liked that one very much, but don't know that variant.

My music room (also my home office during this lockdown period) is in the roof space of a 200-year old converted Methodist chapel, a spiritual and atmospheric place. Those are the original roof beams, still bearing the original carpenters' marks of the craftsmen from another era.

Martin
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Here is my belated video. I couldn’t record this reel on my beloved mandolin. Every attempt to play it twice ended in a crash.
    In sheer despair I grabbed my dusty mandolin banjo. At least I got it done.

5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Nothing wrong with any instrument that does the job, Frithjof. And the title indicates a predilection for drums anyway
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I never thought I'd say this. But, after weeks and weeks without sessions, it's actually quite nice to hear a banjo again!

Well played, Frithjof! It's not an easy tune, so I understand the problems you had.
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    A very fitting instrument for the tune Frithjof, and well played. Thanks.
    I’d like to get one of these, I imagine they’re similar in fingering to the mandolin.

Haven’t had enough of the octave mandolin then Dennis? (there’s more)
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Not at all, octave mandolin is always a treat. I'd like ambient French village market noises next time, though, please.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Frithjof, that is an instrument that could well hold its own in any sesssion! Nice playing too.
  10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I have never really been a banjo fan - until I heard you play this Frithjof. Excellent playing.
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for all the kind words.

Yes, Simon, this hybrid has the scale length and the tuning of a mandolin.
  12. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    My take on the tune, largely based on ceolachan's transcription (setting no 3) at thesession.org

13. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Aidan, I like that version and very much enjoyed your playing.
  14. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thank you very much, Sherry, for the kind words. Aidan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345