John Stenson’s

1. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s another new one, did have a good rummage round Other Tunes, but couldn’t find it.
    Octave mandolin, capo at the 7th fret and Sigma guitar capo at the 2nd fret
    -to be able to get the G shape chord, as the root chord), put an F#m and a Bm in there too.

2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great tune, Simon, and intriguing idea with the capos. i cannot thnik how this works, as the capo across the 7th fret, if it is covering all four courses, will completely eliminate the capo at the 2nd, surely?
  3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a great tune, and very well played again. If the to-do list weren't already so long...
  4. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I like to be loaded up with lots of them, the more capos the better, John!

Thanks for putting up with the posts at two a day Dennis, I’ll be as glad as you at the end
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    No, seriously, I am putting this on my to-do list. Thank you for making me aware of this tune.

As I've said recently and at a few points in the past, I don't get along with reels. Too many notes, too fast. And often no longer notes on which to catch your breath or get back into the tune after an error. My problem is that repeated failure with reels has created a psychological barrier to trying them. So it's always good to hear a reel I like, to motivate me to try it.
  6. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I had that barrier with jigs so I took the three jigs I could play reasonably well, though played very very slow, and I proceeded to metronome them into the ground, all the while thinking about where the fingers were going.
    Another was air-mandolin, you play the tune slow again, with a metronome but you don't have a mandolin!
    You mustn't make mistakes, and it's difficult to tell, but it works.
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thanks Simon, that's good advice. I did something similar with that Hut on Staffin Island / Spootiskerry / Staten Island Hornpipe set. I programmed the backup chords into an app called Chordbot, started slowly, and then increased the speed gradually over several weeks of practice.

I think you're right: You mustn't make mistakes. That's where reels are unforgiving. I make a mistake and everything falls apart because there's no longer note as a target to get back into the tune. Just quavers, quavers, quavers.
  8. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Very nice tune! What's your source on this, Simon? I'm looking on the Session and there is a plethora of different settings.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Mike, there are actually two different tunes, #1 and John Stenson’s #2, it’s a version of the second one. Harmonically, there’s a F#m Bm fall in the B part which I think helps where this part has the melodic repetition. And of course the almost 2/2 time upbeat d-Du, d-Du. Glad you enjoyed it.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Simon “Another was air-mandolin, you play the tune slow again, with a metronome but you don't have a mandolin!
    You mustn't make mistakes, and it's difficult to tell, but it works.”

I hope show us your air- mandolin playing in one of your next videos!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yes Frithjof, I can show you my air-mandolin. Along with my pick I carry it with me at all times.