Week #5 ~ Over the Waterfall ~ REVISTED

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Nice arrangement, Peter. That's a great recording.
  2. justkaron
    justkaron
    Great job on this Peter. Enjoyed it a lot.
  3. peterangell
    peterangell
    Thanks both - have invested in some software and a box to plug into the computer - all good fun!
  4. justkaron
    justkaron
    Marker video...

5. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Kentucky mandolin
  6. justkaron
    justkaron

Needs more work....
    But now it's time for me to chase some Squirrel Hunters all the way to the Big Sigh Oh Tah.

BTW...per the request at top of this thread....I'm trying to play an Eastman 505.
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I made this short recording today... I don't like fishing so I take my mandolin at the waterside...

8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Love the sound of that mandolin in your very capable hands luurtie! (Wish the clip was longer however...)
  9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    there's a reason that the recording turned out a little short. The Highland bulls nearby became curious about the music and where coming after me... Those big animals scared me of an I ran away with my mandolin and recorder.. I don't think I kept the rest of the film but my wife got a laughter attack when she saw it..
    This guy tells about the spot nearby the cyclingpath exactly where I was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjJ2uZn-dVE . In our overpopulated land I'm very happy with such a desolate place nearby where I can be alone when I want to. I don't think the cows want me there playing the mandolin..
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Hendrik, I don't blame you for cutting your recording short, those longhorns can be a bit intimidating !! They probably only wanted to hear you play more though, and maybe eat your mandolin...
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice playful tune with the slides Hendrik

Yay, here’s another from the top ten.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds great, Simon. I should try this myself.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Yes, it's a good find. I have it on a David Surette recording somewhere, but it never occurred to me to try it! Well played again!
  14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    So I am posting this link to Over the Waterfall played on two mandolins and a guitar. The mandolin is my trusty 1913 Gibson F2 and my newest guitar, a Martin 00X1AE. I've also had a lot of trouble embedding the video from YouTube, but it seems to be working now.

Don't forget to wash your hands after every song...

https://youtu.be/Qzt-zRBiIy0

15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great to hear you again, Michael! I've missed your contributions. And I still have that Saw Mountain String Band album on my MP3 player. Weren't you among the first to do these online collaborations here?
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great stuff, Mr Pastucha! I agree that it's great to see Michael posting again, Dennis. Michael indeed had a great spell with that SAW Mountain String Band and I too have the CD on my i-pod. I often wonder why Marcelyn and her hubby stopped posting here too. Michael and I collaborated about six years ago on a lovely Gordon Patullo tune, The Furrow's End. We swapped files and ideas then he created the video and posted it on the Cafe site. He called us The Left Coast Band because we both lived on the west side of our countries!

Here is a link to the video we made:

17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks Dennis and John for the kind words! I don't think the online collaborations idea was mine. I believe there were a few before that pointed me in that direction. As John pointed out, The Furrow's End was an effort between the two of us. I even did a song with Old Sausage in the bluegrass vein. It was the East Virginia Blues.

18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    All these collaborations are a treasure!
  19. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I chose this tune to get reaquainted with my tenor guitar, which I hadn't touched in the last two months-thus the slow motion.
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Slow or not – both instruments are well played. Sounds good, Christian.
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Good to hear from you Christian, I like the tempo too, well played.
    Strange that I missed this thread, nice images and great rolling rhythm Michael.
    Furrow’s End too, a good collaboration, I like the slight hesitations in the phrasing.
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ya'll have gotten a good jump on the next REVISITED tune!
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice CC. !!!
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That is a lovely arrangement, Christian, and great sound from your instruments.
  25. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This tune has been recently revived, but since I'm just going chronologically, it's the next one on our biweekly revisiting old poll winner! Keep 'em coming!
  26. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Here is a version of this tune - Over the Waterfall. I originally learned it as an up-tempo tune, similar to Hendrik's and Simon's version, but then when I heard Christian's slower version, it really appealed to me.

I just think the tune works well that way, even with the goof-ups in it.
  27. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That’s a very fine rendition with so much variations. You let your mandolin shine.
  28. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Great Mark, really good, you’ve got the double stops clean too, all you need now is speed, and that’ll happen easy enough with practice, maybe modify a couple of the hand movements as the speed increases -if you even want to increase, it sounds good as is. Well done.
  29. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Frithjof and Simon - thanks for the compliments.

Simon - Speed was intentional. I know it seems rather backward, but I like to think that sometimes a melody can hold its own strictly based on the tones and feeling of the notes. This tune just seemed to work for me that way.
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I completely agree with you Mark. There are so many tunes that benefit from the approach you take here, where you give all the notes their importance and, as Simon says, the double stops work so well too. I remember the great vogue many years back in the electric guitar world of the high-speed shredders who were determined to force in as many notes as possible into their licks and riffs. Guitar pyrotechnics, but pretty tuneless at the same time in so many cases; speed for speed's sake and not for the tune.
  31. bbcee
    bbcee
    What an enjoyable thread, and all interesting & well-played versions. It's true, a good song can stand up to any sort of pushing and prodding. That mando of yours sounds great ringing out, Mark, and the melody gets deeper when played at that speed.
  32. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's one of those magical tunes. It works at any speed. Nice playing!
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I too have been impressed by the slower versions of this tune, and on a wet, windy lockdown day in Argyll what better than to get a version recorded and uploaded to the thread!

Played on mandolin and octave, this time with no guitar, and as usual recorded in REAPER via a Rode microphone.

The video clips are from one of my favourite haunts, Glenbranter Forest, and were taken on a fairly dismal November day. I knew if I kept them I could find a use for them. I also discovered that my editing software allows me to create slow motion, which I have done here, and I have left the water sounds in.

34. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like this tune. I confess, I like also some of the very fast recordings. As you know I can’t pick that fast. Hence thanks to all who showed that it is allowed to play this tune slower.

While listening to John’s atmospheric recording and looking at all this cold water pouring down the roaring stream between the wet riparian plants I felt a little cold myself.
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    John, your version is so relaxing and mesmerizing that I fell asleep in the middle and woke up again before the end. Now I wonder what you have whispered to my subconscious in the meantime
  36. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    John - very nice rendition, and loved the slo-motion of the falls. Very fitting!
  37. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Great slow motion version of this nice tune John!
  38. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done John. This is so lovely. A tune can be beautiful at any tempo if played by a talented musician such as yourself.

To all of those players who wish to play at a faster tempo this song is a perfect opportunity to practice. I like to play the first time at a slow tempo, like floating on a slow river up stream from the waterfall. The second time thru the tempo increases a bit. Now you are still floating on the river but you are caught in the current. The last time through go even faster as you go Over the Waterfall. As you practice notice where problems arise and try to figure out why mistakes are happening. In my playing it is usually the fact that I haven't memorized the dots and my hesitation as to what to play which throws my tempo off...
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, folks. Kind words always appreciated.
    Bertram, my whispering to your subconscious has so far not been effective. No funds have been transferred from your bank account to mine, so back to sleep and I will try again!
  40. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    JL, that makes me picture the Teletubbies floating down the river, not knowing about the waterfall ahead - yet. I suspect Super Mario is on his way to the rescue
  41. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

OVER THE WATERFALL. Inspired by John's beautiful rendition, I actually enjoy this song much more as a calming and sparkling tune rather than the bluegrass version.
  42. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I like your interpretation a lot,Ginny. Lovely blend of music and visuals, and agree that the tune well suits the slow treatment.
  43. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you John. I have a bluegrass version of this and I actually prefer it like this..as do a few of my subscriber people.
    For anyone who may be missing Hendrik - he's posting some really nice tunes on his channel.
  44. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Ginny - I can't express it any better than John. Very nice interpretation.
  45. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very onomatopoetic, Ginny, the mandolin pickings sounding like waterfall drops falling out of the bottle of Champagne into the glass, sparkling. This seems so right, compared to fast BG versions.
  46. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you all for your lovely comments..I had a guy on Facebook tell me the song was from the British isles...I don't know if that is right - I always assumed it was bluegrass..like Kentucky or Arkansas or wherever Bluegrass flourishes. Bertram...the poet...and yes I meant for the picking to sound like bubbles in champagne..I'm glad you picked up on that.
  47. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I liked the slow versions by John and Ginny. Time for me to ruin everything!

48. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Beautiful!
    And you’re so lucky to be able to play after dark.
  49. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Dennis.
  50. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice Dennis. I like your double stops. I play like that a lot but am not consistent..so for recording I just do the single note. I'm happy to see us all playing this. And Simon...you too can play at night..turn on the lights..or light a candle or something.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234