Gallop To Georgia

1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I'm going to try to do a few videos of tunes from Mike Compton's recent Gallop To Georgia album that he recorded with Norman Blake, based on the recordings of Narmour and Smith. Let's kick off with Heel and Toe!

2. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Awesome picking, David. I’m glad to have you here again.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very fine picking, David. Good that you are going to be posting regularly again.
  4. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I learned so much from watching David over the years - it's nice to see you back and picking out some excellent tunes.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze

6. bbcee
    bbcee
    Sounding great, David, and glad to have you back. A+ version from this excellent album.

I've got a school-zone-speed-limit version of H & T down, and working on Carroll County Blues and Captain George. Fun stuff!
  7. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine tune and fine playing, David, really got me motivated to sort out and record the half tunes I know. Thanks.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks for the kind comments everyone. Today's tune is the Kiss Me Waltz:

Sorry the video quality is rather poor on that one, I'll get it figured out.
  9. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That sure is purdy David.
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Ginny. Today I bring you Texas Shuffle:

11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    High quality, awesome double stops and slides. The guitar backing gives a great support.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I like the way the double stops flow back into the melody, and the alternating bass and bass runs on guitar sort of dance with the mandolin. Really nice.
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    David is such an excellent player, it floors me when I hear him play. And all the fancy music stuff that Simon said too.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh Ginny, that’s not me writing that girlie poetic stuff. I just read articles in esoteric music review magasines and then copy it out -I actually don’t know what it means!
    -see? ‘Esoteric’?
    David’s vids are making me think like this.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, what a great tune and arrangement. You really drive it along so powerfully and the backing is so well suited to the melody. Really, what Simon said above but without the benefit of any music magazines on my part.
  16. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing, David. I got the book and CD and have been working through some of these tunes too, but I haven't gotten to the ones you posted. Your videos should help me work these up. Tater's mighty tricky with those doublestops and slides.
  17. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's the title track "Gallop to Georgia." Got some time to pick these days. Played on my trusty Heiden A5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxYk5OXNqg

18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful, Don, I really enjoyed that.
  19. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Nice
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That’s a great tune Don, thanks.
  21. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nicely played, Don, and that mandolin sounds delicious!
  22. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, guys. bbcee, I love the tone of the Heiden too.

Here's Little Star from the same CD. Played on a Stanley F5. This tune has been kicking my butt for way too long. Finally kind of made it through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ast3lMOtPU

23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Don, and the shirt is spot-on.
  24. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two amazing recordings, Don.
    I like the melody of Little Star.
  25. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice flow, Don, and on another mandolin with tons of tone (the player's no slouch either).

I'm finding these tunes to be butt-kickers as well, but the melodies are irresistible, and totally worth the effort.
  26. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Finally got to listen to all these today, and really enjoyed both David and Don's playing here. I can't think of any two folks better suited to tackle tunes from Mike Compton's playing than you guys.
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Beautiful job Don, I love it.
  28. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great job, Don! That clear tone is such a treat.
  29. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks! Lots of time to play and learn tunes these days. Hope you don't mind me getting back involved in the SAW group. bbcee--nice to see on in the social distancing jam.
  30. bbcee
    bbcee
    Hope you don't mind me getting back involved in the SAW group

Hmm, should we take a vote?? Glad you'll be posting more!

That was a good jam yesterday, Don, I really enjoyed it!
  31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The more the merrier, Don. Looking forward to more from you.
  32. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks John and Bruce. Here's the Avalon Blues from the Compton/Blake CD. I really like the first long phrase. Compton got every one of those high notes every time--I got most of them. Getting back down is challenging.

https://youtu.be/9xjVVreeKlE

33. bbcee
    bbcee
    Here's Sweet Milk and Peaches, played a lot slow than Mr. Compton, or Old Sausage, for that matter!! Thanks 10x for the help on this one, OS.

Played first on my new-to-me 2011 Dale Ludewig A5, and Deep Ocean F4 copy second time around. Mandola pedals on D in the background, and u-bass thumps away contentedly.

34. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    That’s a great tune Bruce, well played, love the slow loping confident rhythm and especially the timing too, that’s not too slow, it’s perfect.
    A good times tune, thanks!
  35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Mighty fine, Bruce, and congrats on the Ludwig--really great tone on that mando everywhere you play it. Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. We've been neglecting all these great tunes.
  36. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice, Bruce - I really liked this one ! Good strong pickin' there.
  37. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thanks much for the nice comments S, D & G. These are really good, challenging tunes that get me out of the fiddle tune "box", plus most of them have a really playful feel to them.

Don, this Ludewig is indeed even all over the neck, and just plays so easily to boot. I'm really pleased to have snagged it!
  38. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I like it, too! The parts are so well synced that it feels neither too fast nor too slow, just right.
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine bit of playing on two great-sounding instruments, Bruce.