Poll Tune Suggestions

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
  1. crisscross
    crisscross
    Unclouded Day: A Bluegrass gospel tune allowing you to show off your chops!

Mando tabs and chords:
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...cloudy_day.htm
  2. crisscross
    crisscross
    This song even has a melody:

3. crisscross
    crisscross
    Or, if this seems to advanced, another hymn: Pass me not o gentle Saviour

Tabs and sheet music: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/m...t+MANDOLIN.pdf
  4. crisscross
    crisscross
  5. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Crisscross wrote:

"Or, if this seems to advanced, another hymn: Pass me not o gentle Saviour

Tabs and sheet music: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/m...t+MANDOLIN.pdf"

That's a nice one.
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Will Fly played a nice version as an Other Tune, but i t never was a Poll tune:
    The Anniversary Waltz - from "Waves of the Danube
  7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Same goes for Danny Boy
    It only appeared as an Other tune:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ma...derry_Air).htm
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm cleaning up this list again! I depend on you all to help me keep this list populated! It's OK to suggest tunes that are already here as 'other tunes', but I'd appreciate it, if when you send me your suggestions, you do a quick check of our 'official tunes' to make sure we don't have a duplicate! You can make the suggestions here in this discussion, along with a video link, if you'd like. It also helps me if you can include the genre along with the title. I try to populate our polls with a variety of tunes, but our list is in serious need of some Bluegrass tunes, and more Old time!

I have taken tunes out of this list, that were previously in the list, voted on, and either won, or never did. It's perfectly fine for you to suggest a tune that has already been on the list, and never made it, and tunes that are already covered under "other tunes". All I ask is that you don't suggest tunes that have already been a Tune of the Week!

Irish Reels

The Liffey Banks (reel) (511,512) chosen
    For the Sake of Old Decency (reel)
    Rakes of Mallow (reel) (hmmm also submitted as a polka)
    The Palm Tree
    The Holly Bush
    The London Lasses (519)chosen
    P. Joe's Reel
    The Blackberry Blossom
    The Curlew
    The Eel in the Sink
    The First House in Connaught
    The Green Mountain
    The Hunter's House
    Lad O'Beirne's
    O'Connell's Trip to Parliament (504, 505,506, 507)xxx
    Beare Island

Irish Hornpipes

The Long Lane

Miscellaneous

Carl MacKenzie (Cape Breton) (note... I can't find this, just that Carl MacKenzie is a fiddler!)
    Colin MacKay's Reel
    Colin Macintosh Reel
    Owny's Best Jig (Scottish) (510, 511, 512)xx
    Back of the Change House Reel (Scottish)
    Dolmar Reel (Cape Breton by Dan R. MacDonald)
    Tom Dey Strathspey (Scottish via Cape Breton by J. Scott Skinner)
    The Earl Crawford's Reel (Scottish)
    We Three Kings of Orient Are (452)

New Suggestions:

Field Mice (contemporary Chip Bach in Old time genre) (link above)
    Grey Owl - old-time fiddle tune (link above) (510) chosen
    Obama's march to the Whitehouse - Old time tune (link above)
    Hut On Staffen Island" (hornpipe) (link above) (509) chosen
    The Valiant ~ English jig by Simon Ritchie (link above) (513) chosen
    Glory in the Meeting House (link above) (519,520)

(suggested by Woodwizard) Here are a few OT suggestions for future tunes to try... along with some Norman Blake tunes

Half Past Four
    Bull at the Wagon (507, 508,509)xx
    Coming Down From Rising Fawn (Blake) (518) chosen
    Valley Head (Blake)
    Ruins of Richmond (Blake) (512, 513, 514)xx
    Abe's Retreat
    L & N Rag (511) chosen
    Mike in the Wilderness
    Goin' Across the Sea (great Bill Monroe instrumental) (515,516, 517) xxx
    Lantern in the Ditch
    Little Billy Wilson
    Twin Sisters
    Sara Armstong's Tune
    Fort Smith Breakdown (513, 514) chosen
    Cowboy's Dream
    Cuffey
    Old Joe
    Waynesboro
    Liberty Off the Corn Likker Still
    Santa Anna's Retreat
    Avalon Quick Step
    Boston Boy
    Indian Ate a Woodchuck
    Dubuque
    Ship in the Clouds

The Rose of Tralee (Irish) (508) chosen
    Mazurka des écoliers de Saint Genest by Gilles Chabenat - French mazurka (video below) (520)
    I’ll fly away - hymn
    La Valse Ollu (video above)
    Wavelry (video below) tribute to John McGann (508,509,510)xx
    The Famous Baravan Pipe tune by Gordon Duncan (video above)
    Elzic's Farewell / Elzick's Farewell (video links above)
    Pass Me Not O Gentle Saviour ~ gospel (video above) (517, 518)xx
    The Sailor's Wife ~ Scottish jig (514, 515) chosen
    The Anniversary Song
    Danny Boy

Pays de Haut /Reel de Gaspe French Canadian (507) chosen
    Reel St. Antoine French Canadian
    Tiny's Rag (518,519,520)(video below)
    Miss Rowan Davies (video below)

Wind on the Heath (slow scottish air) (516,517) chosen
    Three Little Birds (Bob Marley) (515, 516) chosen
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
  10. crisscross
    crisscross
    Miss Rowan Davies, another nice tune by Phil Cunningham:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...wan_davies.htm
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, delighted to see this posting from you. I know this band well and they are building up a really good following here in Scotland. The guitar player is a close friend (his father and I were English teachers together for many years) and he is married to the fiddler! I was at their wedding.
  12. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Yep, Miss Rowan Davies, that is a Classic. Love the timeless part of it.
  13. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I really like this one too.
  14. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wind on the Heath, Scottish slow air
    See https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...cussionid=6606
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    ‘Singin’ don’t worry, ‘bout a thing. ‘Cause every little thing is gonna be alright ‘
    Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f5hVZcabu8A
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Just a reminder that this is the place to make your suggestions for tunes you would like to see in future polls. The discussion that I posted Sept 30, 2019, contains the most recent list that I am working from. If you go back through the past discussions, you will see that I create a new, updated list about once a year (but I edit it throughout the year). I remove tunes that have won previous polls, and I remove tunes that were in polls, but never won. I usually let a tune stay in a poll for 3-4 polls, before dropping it. Please look do a search of 'Table of Contents ~Official Tunes"to make sure this tune doesn't already have a discussion as an official tune, before suggesting it. Other than that, anything goes. It's ok if it's already been an 'other' tune (but it would be nice if you let me know that; you can do that by doing a search of the "Table of Contents ~ other tunes", or if it's been on a poll, and never won. I would greatly appreciate it if you would include the genre of the tune, when you make the suggestion. And, if you have any videos you could link, that helps, too. I take these suggestions, and I add them to the current list. I try to populate the poll with a variety of genre, so that is why it is extremely helpful to me, when choosing the tunes for the poll, for me to know what genre it is.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I'd like to suggest (week #22) Flowers of Edinburgh. Thanks Barbara.
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm cleaning up this list again! I depend on you all to help me keep this list populated! It's OK to suggest tunes that are already here as 'other tunes', but I'd appreciate it, if when you send me your suggestions, you do a quick check of our 'official tunes' to make sure we don't have a duplicate! You can make the suggestions here in this discussion, along with a video link, if you'd like. It also helps me if you can include the genre along with the title. I try to populate our polls with a variety of tunes, but our list is in serious need of some Bluegrass tunes, and more Old time!

Irish Reels

For the Sake of Old Decency (reel) (527, 528)
    The Palm Tree
    The Holly Bush
    P. Joe's Reel
    The Blackberry Blossom
    The Eel in the Sink
    The Green Mountain
    The Hunter's House
    Beare Island

The Long Lane (IT hornpipe)

Miscellaneous

Carl MacKenzie (Cape Breton) (note... I can't find this, just that Carl MacKenzie is a fiddler!)
    Colin MacKay's Reel
    Colin Macintosh Reel

We Three Kings of Orient Are (452)

New Suggestions:

(suggested by Woodwizard)

Half Past Four
    Valley Head (Blake)
    Abe's Retreat
    Mike in the Wilderness
    Lantern in the Ditch (527, 528)
    Little Billy Wilson
    Twin Sisters
    Sara Armstong's Tune

Cowboy's Dream
    Cuffey
    Old Joe
    Waynesboro
    Santa Anna's Retreat
    Avalon Quick Step
    Boston Boy
    Indian Ate a Woodchuck
    Dubuque
    Ship in the Clouds

I’ll fly away - hymn

The Anniversary Song
    Danny Boy

Miss Rowan Davies (video above)
    Ashland Breakdown (Bill Monroe)
    Up and Around the Bend (Bela Fleck BG)
    Dusty Miller (OT and Bill Monroe)
    I'm Going Back to Old Kentucky

The Man of the House (irish reel)
    Paddy's Gone to France (irish reel)
    The Beauty Spot (irish reel)
    The New Mown Meadown (irish reel)
    My Darling Asleep (Irish jig)
    The Lilting Banshee (Irish Jig)
    Hardiman the Fiddler (irish slip jig)

New Suggestions (Mike Romney)

Wild Horse at Stoney Point
    Ashland Breakdown
    Dusty Miller (527) chosen
    My Father’s Footsteps
    Road to Malvern
    Brown County Breakdown
    Daley’s Reel (this is spelled a bunch of different ways)
    The Humors of Derrycrossane
    Ballydesmond Polkas
    The Hills of Tara
    Kitty’s Wedding
    Hand Me Down My Walking Cane
    Devil’s Dream
    I saw the Light
    Little Maggie
    East Tennessee Blues
    Rabbit in a Log
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Limehouse Blues
    Autumn Leaves
    Jug of Punch
    Master Crowley’s
    New Rochelle
    Ornithology
    Waltz of the White Lillies

From Martin Jonas

Sunset Over Ayr (Scottish waltz)
    For Ireland I Won't Say Her Name (Irish air/song)
    Mist-Covered Mountains (Scottish air)
    A Trip To Paris (English country dance)
    Portsmouth (English country dance)
    Crested Hens (French waltz)
    An Paistin Fionn (Irish slow air)
    Sir Charles Coote (Carolan)
    A Parcel Of Rogues In A Nation (Scottish air/song)
    Lament for Abercairney (Scottish slow air)
    The Arran Boat Song (Scottish)
    Ragtime Annie (Old-time)
    Go And List For A Sailor (English morris dance)
    The Gentle Maiden (Irish waltz)
    Carolan's Welcome Home (Carolan)
    L'inconnu de Limoise (French mazurka)
    40 Somre (Danish)
    Tommy Peoples Mazurka (Irish mazurka)
    The Bonny Bonny Broom (English country dance/song)
    The South Wind (Irish/English slow air)
    The Full-Rigged Ship (Shetland jig)
    Hole In The Wall (English hornpipe)
    The Red Piper's Melody (Welch air/waltz)
    Coilsfield House (Scottish slow air)
    Blind Mary (Carolan)
    A Bruxa (Galician waltz)
    Soling Anders's Waltz (Swedish)
    Song Of The Seashore (Japanese waltz)
    The Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance (English country dance)
    Drive The Cold Winter Away (English country dance)

from Gelsenbury
    Schwabisch (German traditional) (video link below) (528)
    The Hole in the Hedge (Irish jig) (video link below)
    The Four Poster Bed, Scottish traditional
    Up the Yellow Ladder, set of jigs by David Hansen, previously played as an "Other" tune
    Humphreys Waltz, by Daniel Nestlerode (video link below)
    The Jam at St. James, previously played as an "Other" tune
    N'oublies pas, French waltz, previously played as an "Other" tune
    The Moon and Seven Stars, previously played as an "Other" tune
    Paspie Minuet, previously played as an "Other" tune
    Andet Brudestykke, previously played as an "Other" tune
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The above is our current poll list that I am working from. This is the discussion to please add your suggestions (with genre noted) and I will see that they get on the current list! Just remember, please do a quick check to see if the tune you are suggesting, has ever been an official tune. If it hasn't then anything goes! It's ok if it already has a discussion, or if it has already been on a list, and never voted in! If we are going to continue to have a poll and an official tune (now every TWO weeks instead of every week), it completely depends on you, our group members, to keep this poll list populated!
  20. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I'd recommend looking for a way to open it back up and spur enthusiasm and participation. The group has been going more than 10 years. We're kinda down to obscure strathspeys and jigs. A quick survey of the tunes on Peghead Nation or a similar site would yield a list of bluegrass, Celtic and Old Time tunes avid mandolinists are working on. Personally speaking, at this point I am game for anything. I currently am beating my head against Charlie Parker's bebop classic "Ornithology." I'm happy to tackle a mazurka. But if we could travel back in time to when I was playing my first decent mandolin and participating here every week, I would've been working hard to get my head around "Drowse Maggie," "Tripping Up the Stairs" and "Salt Creek." What if we revisited some of the tunes people cut their teeth from the standard repertoire across the styles represented here? I do see the merit in pursuing never-played tunes, but at some point you either fall off the edge of the world or end up back at your starting point. : ) Early on we did that old warhorse, "Soldier's Joy." There are 209 posts to that string. A song like that is maybe more accessible than my recent "Glory in the Meeting House" submission. Just my two bits.
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, upon your suggestion back in February to me in a private message, I recently started revisiting our past official tunes of the week. So, one week, we have the winner of the current poll, and the next week, we revisit a past poll winner. For simplicity sake, i just started back at the beginning. So far, we have revisited weeks 1, 2, 3 and 4. I got carried away sewing masks on the week I should have revisited week #5, so that will be this Friday. In fact, on April 17, we DID revisit Soldier's Joy, which was week #4.

I have noticed that right now, especially since the pandemic, more people are at home and making videos and submitting them under the category known as 'other tunes'. Rather than waiting on learning whatever the next official tune is, they are just recording their favorites, and submitting them. And, that's great. It may just be that this group evolves into just that, a place where you can record whatever you want and submit it for others to enjoy.

It seems like you are suggesting that I should go search out a list of tunes that avid mandolinists are working on, and populate the list from it. All I'm asking is for the people who are participating in this group, do just that, search out tunes of whatever genre there is, that they would like to see on future polls, and then do a search of our official tunes (which can easily be done from the Table of Contents ~ Official Tunes) to make sure that they haven't already been a previous poll winner, and then send me the suggestions to add to the list. I hope that all of the members who are interested in this group continuing, and continuing to have at least one poll every two weeks, who find themselves socially isolating with extra time on their hands, help me out, and do this!

I see this group, and everything we have done for the past 10 years, as a great repository of tunes. Rather than have the same tune having numerous discussions devoted to it, I have worked hard to keep the discussions for a particular tune, together. In those rare instances where we have had the same tune be an official tune in two different weeks, I've tried to make sure the two discussions are linked together. Same thing when we have a tune that is an 'other tune' and then gets to be an official tune. In my mind, it made the most sense, for people who are interested in a particular tune, and finding these tunes that have had a discussion and a bunch of comments and videos, to be all in one place. That is why, when you suggested to me back in February, that going back to the tunes we did in the beginning might spark more interest, I did it in such a way that I went back to the original post, edited the title to include ~REVISITED, and brought it back up to the current discussions. That way, it was brought back up, but the new submissions would be in the same discussion as 10 years ago, and if one is interested, they can read through all the discussions, and see all the submissions, over the past 10 years.
  22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I would say the group is pretty open at present and we all have the opportunity of posting whatever we choose here, either as a response to the Official Tune, Other Tune, or now also a Revisited Tune (developed from a PM from Mike to Barbara).

Looking at the official poll results over quite a long period it seems that there are very few votes ever cast for the tunes on offer, and at times there are virtually no videos posted of the winner. I think there is a very active and very small group of regular posters here and a very large group of browsers who derive a lot of pleasure from the postings and regularly respond to them. We post our offerings for two different sets of listeners, I feel: those who are also posters and who like to see what we are doing and add their comments and their own interpretations of the tunes, and those who come in as browsers and just enjoy what is on offer. We have often seen someone joining who introduces himself/herself with the comment about being a "long-time lurker" who has decided to join in and contribute. It is always great to see this happening.

As a long-time and fairly regular poster here (and perpetrator of some of the "obscure Strathspeys" Mike mentions) I often find that I have not heard of any of the tunes in a particular week (I note Ginny too made this point recently) and do not feel qualified to vote on them. When you look at the regular posters here, there seems to be a wide variety of genres being offered from traditional through to themes from the movies, and maybe what Barbara says "It may just be that this group evolves into just that, a place where you can record whatever you want and submit it for others to enjoy" is the way the group will evolve. I always feel for Barbara who puts so much effort into keeping this great group going and those lists she compiles regularly then bumps to keep them in circulation are, as she says, a great repository of music.

Interesting times and I wonder if the increase of postings will continue at the current high level when we are once again free to go out and play live music with our bands and at sessions again.
  23. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Being guilty of what John refers to as a 'long time lurker', I wanted to add my thoughts about this group / site / resource . . . . whatever you want to call it.

I have played music my whole life and consider it a necessity for living - just like breathing air and eating food. (Wow - sounds deeper than I intended). The point being, up until about age 60, I had very limited exposure to Bluegrass, Celtic, or really any European music. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had to google what a Strathspeys was, as well as a mazurka and others that have been posted on here. My musical literacy was pretty much focused on Blues, Rock, Country, Classical and Folk, with my instrument of choice being some type of guitar. When I started attending local bluegrass / old-time jams and trying to learn to play a mandolin, I was in dire need of an education of fiddle tunes. I don't remember who suggested this site as a resource, but I checked it out in 2014, and I don't think there has been a span of two or three days when I wasn't 'checking out' a tune to learn. Not only is the notation or tablature usually available, there are various performances of the same tunes available, and that in itself is a tremendous benefit for someone trying to learn a new instrument and a new genre.

The work that Barbara puts into this site/group does not go un-noticed, as well as the contributions of the many musicians that take the time to post their work. I for one believe this to be one of or maybe even the best repository of usable knowledge available on the internet, especially for an old geezer like me.

Since getting older I have noticed several facts: my fingers don't move quite like they used to, I can't read and play notation like I used to, it takes more time to get tunes in my head and under my fingers, and for some reason it takes a lot longer to loosen up than it used to? But the joy and satisfaction of learning a new piece and playing it so it sounds good (to me) is still a desire I hope to never loose. This site/group has introduced me to so many different types of music and wonderful songs that I never knew existed, as well as the means to be able to learn them - what more can a person ask for?

How ever this group evolves, I hope it continues for years and I want to thank Barbara and everyone who contributes or contributed in the past. Thank you.
  24. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    With new tunes every two weeks, revisited classics every two weeks, and the facility to post something as an "other" tune, surely there's something for everyone. We certainly have no shortage of posts at the moment. I can't keep up with learning all these tunes.
  25. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I agree Dennis and Bad Habbits. Barbara does an extraordinary job. And Dennis, I see there is no shortage of posts lately, and I try and make a comment on everyone's post and then again on their YT channel. But recently there have been so many, I can't keep up.
    My question is...do people want a comment on their YouTube channel..or do they not. ? I assume they do but I may be wrong, sometimes it's like mine is the only comment...what do you think?
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thanks for all the input, and the compliments! I think you are all spot on. I am happy that some (many) of you feel about this group, the way that I feel about it, and it's usefulness for learning, and for pleasure, and for social interaction! I love that so many people are recording and submitting their work in the 'other tune' category. And, I always hope that if others take an interest in that submission, they feel that they can learn it, and submit it in a reply to that discussion. It's always great to hear/see many interpretations of a single tune. And, I truly appreciate (and I am not good about doing it) that members take the time to watch and read and respond to other members posts.

Early on, I was an avid poster and contributor. Now, not so much. I try my best to stay on top of what's going on, keep the polls going and keep the table of contents updated, etc. I haven't been playing any instruments much this year at all, with the craziness that's been going on, in my life, and in the world in general! And, my recording 'set up'... well, my aging computer, my speakers have quit working, and my music editing program went to hell, so I haven't made a video in forever! Excuses, excuses! I'm just so thankful that we do have the dedicated members who contribute regularly. Keep it up!
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ginny, I forgot to comment on your comments question. I think it's nice to comment both places. However, a lot of my you tube comments are on my cleavage 10 years ago, haha!
  28. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Many of these have been done, but off the top of my head here's a list of tunes I'd work up a video-this version to post. Cheers.

Camp Meeting on the Fourth of July
    Cluck Old Hen
    Chinquapin Hunting
    Old Joe Clark
    Angeline the Baker
    The Squirrel Hunter
    The Eighth of January
    Clinch Mountain Backstep
    June Apple
    Soldier’s Joy
    Midnight on the Water
    Over the Waterfall
    Whiskey Before Breakfast
    Billy in the Lowground
    Jerusalem Ridge
    St. Anne’s Reel
    Gold Rush
    Red Haired Boy
    Temperance Reel
    Lonesome Moonling Waltz
    Sail Away Ladies
    Asland Breakdown
    Denver Belle
    Dusty Miller
    Big Sand River
    My Father’s Footsteps
    Cattle in the Cane
    Road to Columbus
    Forked Deer
    Evening Prayer Blues
    Road to Malvern
    Cuckoo’s Nest
    New Camptown Races
    Lither Britches
    Asland Berakd Down
    Big Sciota
    Bill Cheatam
    Shove that Pig’s Foot a Little Deeper in the Fire
    Old Dangerfield
    EMG
    Big Mon
    Cherokee Shuffle
    Temperance Reel
    Boston Boy
    Brown County Breakdown
    Fisher’s Hornpipe
    My Darling Asleep
    Donnybrook Fair
    Lilting Bansheee
    Banish Misfoertue
    Fig for a Kiss
    Foxhunters
    The Star Above the Garter
    Ballydesmond Polkas
    Farewell to Whiskey
    The Home Ruler
    The Hills of Tara
    Kitty’s Wedding
    Libery
    Nine Pound Hammer
    Devil’s Dream
    I saw the Light
    Golden Slippers
    Little Maggie
    Red wing
    Tennessee Waltz
    Tennessee Blues
    East Tennessee Blues
    Rabbit in a Log
    Rawhide
    Big Sandy River
    Big Sciota
    Jerusalem Ridge
    Minor Swing
    All of Me
    Sweet Georgia Brown
    Limehouse Blues
    Autumn Leaves
    Lonesome Moonlight Waltz
    Foxhunters
    Fig for a Kiss
    Josephine’s Waltx
    In My Father’s Footsteps
    John Brown’s March
    Jug of Punch
    Master Crowley’s
    Nail that Catfish to a Tree
    New Rochelle
    Orni\thology
    Road to Malvern
    Sitting On Top of theWorld
    Teardrop Waltz
    Temperance Reel
    Waltz of the White Lillies
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, I went to the site you recommended, and added the tunes that we have not already had as official tunes. If you want me to go through that list you just sent, and add the ones that haven't already been official tunes, I will.
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, I went through the list you sent, and came up with 26 that we hadn't already done as tune of the week, so I added them! Thanks! And, if all those others that HAVE been done as tune of the week, at any point, anybody can bring that discussion back up to current, add a video and invite others to do so, as well!
  31. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Thanks for all your hard work here, Barbara. You definitely started the coolest thing on the Cafe site, after the site itself and the classifieds, of course! : )
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I like getting comments from everyone, and Ginny too. I was wondering, were there a lot of women playing mandolin on SAW 10 years ago?
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Simon, no there weren't a whole lot of women early on, and sadly, some of the women who did participate, have either left or gone silent!
  34. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Further to all the useful comments above, I appreciate both aspects of the group -- an outlet to post and discuss my recordings of more-or-less-obscure tunes that I want to try out, and the nudge towards learning an new tune not of my choosing every two weeks. Some tunes are so ideomatic that I feel uncomfortable playing them without being immersed in the genre (e.g. many of the bluegrass and some of the old-time tunes), but most others I'm happy to have a bash at.

I'm hanging back a bit on proposing new tunes and voting because I have such a large backlog of tunes I've recorded over the past ten years that I find it difficult to assess what others here might enjoy. However, here are a few that go down well with our weekly mandolin group and that I think everybody here might enjoy as well. Recorded examples for most are on my channel (but sometimes in urgent need of re-recording because they've dated badly):

Horgalaten (Swedish)
    Ragtime Annie (Old-time)
    40 Somre (Danish)
    Hole In The Wall (English hornpipe)
    The Red Piper's Melody (Welsh air/waltz)
    Blind Mary (Carolan)
    A Bruxa (Galician waltz)
    Soling Anders's Waltz (Swedish)
    Drive The Cold Winter Away (English country dance)

Martin
  35. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Schwabisch (German traditional)

The Hole in the Hedge (Irish jig)

The Four Poster Bed, Scottish traditional, previously discussed at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...719&do=discuss

Up the Yellow Ladder, set of jigs by David Hansen, previously played as an "Other" tune:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...706&do=discuss

Humphreys Waltz, by Daniel Nestlerode:

The Jam at St. James, previously played as an "Other" tune:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...539&do=discuss

N'oublies pas, French waltz, previously played as an "Other" tune:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...774&do=discuss

The Moon and Seven Stars, previously played as an "Other" tune:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...273&do=discuss

Paspie Minuet, previously played as an "Other" tune:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...645&do=discuss

Andet Brudestykke, previously played as an "Other" tune:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...766&do=discuss
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Thank you for your suggestions! Our list is robust again!
  37. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Schwabisch is a great one Dennis, now THAT’S a foot tapper!
    -and there’s even the langsame version which, while practicing, can be langsamed down.

I like Dennis’s idea, I’d like to propose all the 100 tunes that I posted this last year, which believe it or not I only posted because I like them and I thought a certain number of you might like too.
    There are some that are already SAWs.
    There is only a couple out of the one hundred however that I didn’t much care for but included because everyone else seems to.

It’s basically any tune that I posted in the last year that is now on the Other Tune list.
  38. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Lockdown will soon be a thing of the past
    I’d like to propose:
    We do a Lockdown tune or song that has a set version # (from the Other Tunes list or thesession maybe).
    It’s not chosen for it’s title but for it’s melodic content or rhythm.
    We declare the exact tempo in advance, play just the one instrument of choice each (whatever), and then, because we are playing at the same tempo, combine parts of each vid into one long, say 4 part tune using the visuals from each person’s posting. (maybe use a bit more of Ginny’s )
  39. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Simon, that sounds like a good idea; a good idea for someone with the time and the knowledge to accomplish such an endeavor! That's not me! But, I know that there are many out there with the ability to do such a thing. I would think that the thing to do would be for whoever wants to attempt this, to just start a discussion with a catchy title (Lockdown tune collaboration, or something like that), and get it going!
  40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Just a reminder! This is the most current list I am working from, for the polls.

Irish Reels

For the Sake of Old Decency (reel) (527,528,529,530)xxx
    The Palm Tree
    The Holly Bush
    P. Joe's Reel
    The Blackberry Blossom
    The Eel in the Sink
    The Green Mountain
    The Hunter's House
    Beare Island

The Long Lane (IT hornpipe)

Miscellaneous

Colin MacKay's Reel
    Colin Macintosh Reel

We Three Kings of Orient Are (452,536)

New Suggestions:

Half Past Four
    Valley Head (Blake)
    Abe's Retreat
    Mike in the Wilderness
    Lantern in the Ditch (527,528,529,530)chosen
    Little Billy Wilson
    Twin Sisters
    Sara Armstong's Tune

Cowboy's Dream
    Cuffey
    Old Joe
    Waynesboro
    Santa Anna's Retreat
    Avalon Quick Step
    Boston Boy
    Indian Ate a Woodchuck
    Dubuque
    Ship in the Clouds

I’ll fly away - hymn

The Anniversary Song
    Danny Boy

Ashland Breakdown (Bill Monroe)
    Dusty Miller (OT and Bill Monroe)
    I'm Going Back to Old Kentucky

Hardiman the Fiddler (irish slip jig)

Ashland Breakdown
    My Father’s Footsteps
    Road to Malvern
    Brown County Breakdown
    Ballydesmond Polkas
    The Hills of Tara
    Kitty’s Wedding
    Devil’s Dream
    I saw the Light
    Little Maggie (532,533)xx
    East Tennessee Blues
    Rabbit in a Log
    Limehouse Blues (534) chosen
    Autumn Leaves
    Jug of Punch
    Master Crowley’s
    New Rochelle
    Ornithology
    Waltz of the White Lillies (535) chosen

From Martin Jonas

Ragtime Annie (Old-time)
    40 Somre (Danish)
    Hole In The Wall (English hornpipe) (530,531,532)chosen
    Blind Mary (Carolan) (529) chosen
    A Bruxa (Galician waltz)
    Soling Anders's Waltz (Swedish)(531,532,533)xxx
    Drive The Cold Winter Away (English country dance) (534,535,536)

from Gelsenbury
    Schwabisch (German traditional) (video link below) (528) chosen
    The Hole in the Hedge (Irish jig) (video link below) (533) chosen
    The Four Poster Bed, Scottish traditional (531) chosen
    Up the Yellow Ladder, set of jigs by David Hansen, previously played as an "Other" tune
    Humphreys Waltz, by Daniel Nestlerode (video link below)

Mazurka Schloss Freiberg (video below)
    Ginny and the Teepee (video below) (534,535,536)
    Valse Frontenac (videos below)
  41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bumping this up as a reminder to our members, that this is the list I'm working from!
  42. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    What about this one - Mazurka Schloss Freiberg? It seems to be in G minor, but it's not too fast. One of those magical tunes.

43. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Here’s a refreshing contemporary waltz, Ginny and the Teepee (!)
    Two links to it, I love the first, the mandolin playing style is something else.
    The second is the whole group.

If this doesn’t get chosen as Song A Week, like now, then I’ll eat my hat!

https://youtu.be/0XZcNZI5cH0

https://youtu.be/nU-dieltOQs
  44. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Isn't that drummer just the most laid-back performer you have ever seen? His drum kit is just so unique too.
  45. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    From Dick Dery

46. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Just a reminder! This is the most current list I am working from, for the polls. I've updated it, taking out the tunes we've already voted on (chosen or not)

Irish Reels

Rakes of Mallow (reel) (hmmm also submitted as a polka) (549,550,551)
    The Palm Tree
    The Holly Bush
    P. Joe's Reel
    The Blackberry Blossom
    The Eel in the Sink (540,541) chosen
    The Green Mountain
    The Hunter's House
    Beare Island

Miscellaneous

Colin MacKay's Reel
    Colin Macintosh Reel

We Three Kings of Orient Are (452,536)xx

New Suggestions:

Half Past Four
    Valley Head (Blake)
    Abe's Retreat
    Mike in the Wilderness (549,550)xx
    Little Billy Wilson
    Twin Sisters
    Sara Armstong's Tune

Cowboy's Dream (547, 548)xx
    Cuffey
    Waynesboro (540) chosen
    Santa Anna's Retreat
    Boston Boy
    Indian Ate a Woodchuck
    Dubuque
    Ship in the Clouds

I’ll fly away - hymn

The Anniversary Song
    Danny Boy

I'm Going Back to Old Kentucky (549) chosen

Hardiman the Fiddler (irish slip jig) (544,545) chosen

Ashland Breakdown (546, 547, 548)xx
    My Father’s Footsteps
    Road to Malvern
    Brown County Breakdown
    Ballydesmond Polkas
    The Hills of Tara
    Kitty’s Wedding
    Devil’s Dream (540,541,542)chosen
    I saw the Light
    East Tennessee Blues (551)
    Rabbit in a Log
    Autumn Leaves
    Jug of Punch
    Master Crowley’s
    New Rochelle
    Ornithology

From Martin Jonas

A Trip To Paris (English country dance) (542,543,544)xxx
    Sir Charles Coote (Carolan) (543)xxxxx
    Ragtime Annie (Old-time) (544) chosen
    Go And List For A Sailor (English morris dance) (548) chosen
    Carolan's Welcome Home (Carolan) (545) chosen
    40 Somre (Danish)
    A Bruxa (Galician waltz)
    Song Of The Seashore (Japanese waltz) (545, 546, 547) chosen

from Gelsenbury

Humphreys Waltz, by Daniel Nestlerode (video link above) (541,542,543) chosen

Mazurka Schloss Freiberg (video above)
    Valse Frontenac (videos above)

Fields of Athenry - Irish Folk Ballad
    The Hare in the Corn - Irish Jig
    Mountain Dew - Old Time (550)chosen
    Katy Daly - Bluegrass (551)
  47. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I am bumping this post up. The most recent list above this post, is the list I am working from. As always, I welcome suggestions to add to this list. However, I ask a couple of favors. PLEASE look over the tunes in the Table Of Contents ~ official tune of the week to make sure it hasn't already been done as an official tune. I am OK with tunes that already have a discussion, but weren't an official tune. Secondly, it helps me if you would also include the genre. I TRY to populate the polls with tunes in various genre. However, I don't know most of the tunes that are suggested, and if you don't tell me the genre, I don't have any way to know! If you want, you can make your suggestions here, and I will add them to the list. It's great, too, if you can include a link to a video!
  48. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Again, I'm bumping this up so it's easy to find! The most recent list above this post, is the list I am working from. As always, I welcome suggestions to add to this list. However, I ask a couple of favors. PLEASE look over the tunes in the Table Of Contents ~ official tune of the week to make sure it hasn't already been done as an official tune. I am OK with tunes that already have a discussion, but weren't an official tune. Secondly, it helps me if you would also include the genre. I TRY to populate the polls with tunes in various genre. However, I don't know most of the tunes that are suggested, and if you don't tell me the genre, I don't have any way to know! If you want, you can make your suggestions here, and I will add them to the list. It's great, too, if you can include a link to a video!
  49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    bumping this up so it's easy to find
  50. jwsimpson
    jwsimpson
    Fields of Athenry - Irish Folk Ballad
    The Hare in the Corn - Irish Jig
    Mountain Dew - Old Time
    Katy Daly - Bluegrass?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast