Kimble A-5 progress photos posted

1. Gary Alter
    Gary Alter
    Hey all, Will's working on an A-5 for me. Just got the first build out photos. Red spruce top and red maple back. I'll add more photos as I get them.
  2. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    Looking forward to seeing the photos Gary! Will told me a couple days ago that he was starting a batch of As. Very exciting.
  3. Cheryl Watson
    Cheryl Watson
    Hey Gary, my pics look just like yours-my A5 is in the same current production batch! These will be very fine A5s; I'm excited! Jim, when I saw your Kimble A5 and heard it on YouTube, I ordered one from Will. I have his first F5 also...#13.
  4. Will Kimble
    Will Kimble
    Yup, Gary's and Cheryl's A5s are being built together and will probably stay together through completion. Depends on how long it takes Cheryl and I to settle on an inlay design!

Will Kimble
  5. crothfolk
    crothfolk
    Hi Gary, just found out and joined group. I have had a Kimble A-5 now for just over a year. It's my baby for sure, and I will post some pic's sometime. Any Kimble's along with mine going to Kaufman's Mando camp this year?
  6. Gary Alter
    Gary Alter
    Oops, short term memory loss is setting in. My new A-5 will have a red spruce top and a sugar maple back not red. Just in case anyone's keeping track.
    Gary
  7. Gary Alter
    Gary Alter
    Just received photos from Will of the A-5 back and peghead.
  8. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    You've got a Kimble coming Gary??? We gotta get together soon!
  9. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Apart from the woods, its getting to look more and more like mine, Gary - (who needs a scroll). After nearly 10 months of playing, its just starting to wake up.
    Ray
  10. Cheryl Watson
    Cheryl Watson
    Well, I decided on an inlay design for the headstock so Will will be good to go as soon as he gets all 300 pieces cut and inlayed, and engraved

Seriously, though, it is a DePaule flower pot design.

Mine has a one-piece back. I'll share pics as soon as I get them to my photo sharing webpage. I'm excited!!
  11. Gary Alter
    Gary Alter
    My new Kimble A-5 is on it's way, should have it tomorrow! New photos added.
  12. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    That is stunning Gary!
  13. Gary Alter
    Gary Alter
    I've just added a couple of photos of my recently completed Kimble A-5, it's truly a wonderful instrument, thanks Will!
  14. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    Very nice Gary! I love Will's and his Dad's finishes. Gorgeous sunburst!
  15. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Do you actually need the grommets with the James tailpiece or are they just for show? I've never bothered on my A5.
    Ray
  16. Gary Alter
    Gary Alter
    >Do you actually need the grommets with the James tailpiece or are they just >for show?

Ray,

I had the grommets on my previous mandolin so, I assumed they'd help on the Kimble as well, I just stuck them on when it came in. I'll have to do some A:Bing and I'll let you know. I'd always figured that the grommets helped reduce any overtones caused by the strings vibrating between the bridge and the tailpiece, not necessarily from the tailpiece. Maybe someone else could post their experience.
  17. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I got to play Gary's new A5 a few weekends ago. It's a mighty fine mandolin!
  18. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    Gary, I've always assumed much the same - if you pluck the string behind the bridge you usually get a high pitched note but with the James you simply get a thud as the James has built in "O" rings which dampen that part of the string. I must admit, I've never tried them on my Kimble A5 but I do have them on my Holoubek which has a traditional (Gibson style) tailpiece.
    Ray
  19. Cheryl Watson
    Cheryl Watson
    Gary, that is one FINE looking mandolin! My Kimble A-style is being shipped out Monday, August 17th. I'm really excited!! I wish we could play the siblings together!
  20. Gary Alter
    Gary Alter
    Twins born in different months <g>. Maybe Kimblefest will happen and we can pick a tune or two. Be sure to post some photos of your new baby when it arrives.