Whitehorse Breakdown

1. wmlebleu
    wmlebleu
    would really like to see tabs for this and some renditions by members of this group. This is one of the best learning tools I have seen beside lessons from Homespun. OS is a Master Player and would love to see his improvised play of this tune as well as others.
  2. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Here's Comptons' version:

3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I think master player is overstating it a bit, but I'll take any compliments I can get these days. I don't know this tune but I found some tab at Mandozine that looks good.

http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=

I imagine there must be a recording of Monroe playing this somewhere but I haven't heard it.
  4. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    I got this from the "Mandolin Fakebook." I kind of know it and enjoy playing it for therapy. . .

f-d
  5. wmlebleu
    wmlebleu
    I've got the recording on my I-pod, don't know who cut the particular version I have though, says Various Bluegrass Artists, could be Bill. Sounds like his shuffle on the recording.

I've plunked around with it some, but just can't get up to that speed. Hands are old and arthritic.

By the way compared to my 'skills?,' everyone on this site is a Master, I bow down before you all. Really like to see the various renditions of all the tunes. A lot can be learned here, even for an old dog like me.
  6. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Wmlebleu,

Looks like no one responded with any personal vids or tabs to your thread yet, so thought I'd give it at try. I played this tune much slower than Mike Compton, and personally I like it played at a slower speed. I think it's about 180 bpm tempo one time through. This is one of those tunes that I rarely hear at BG jams, but think it is a fun tune to play.

Here's the ABC for the tune.

X:1
    T:White Horse Breakdown
    C:Bill Monroe
    L:1/8
    Q:400
    M:4/4
    K:G
    z6 (3DEF | G2 g2 AB zA | GE DB, G,2 DF |: "G"GD =FE DC B,A, | G,B, DG EF GA | Bd zB d3e | \
    =fe df ed BA | GD =FE DC B,A, | G,B, DG EF GA | Bd ef gb ge |1 d"D"B AF "G"G2 DF :|2 d"D"B AF "G"G4 | \
    |: "G"[B4D4] [g4d4] | [gd]e dB AG EG | B3d d2 =f2 | =ze d=f ed z2 | B3d dz g2 | ze dB AG ED | \
    G,2 g2 AB zA |1 G"D"E DB, "G"G,B, D2 :|2 G"D"E DB, "G"G,4 | z8 | z8 | z8 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/

You can copy this and put this into Tabledit program and it will bring up the notes and tab for the tune.

Cheers,

Jim
  7. wmlebleu
    wmlebleu
    Good job Jordan.

When I was very young, 5 or 6, my uncle taught me to play banjo, he kept a Mastertone for me to practice on. He lived in Haysi in Dickenson County VA, where my Mother's family all lived. He always had a group of pickers in the backyard on most afternoons. Among those who would be there on occasion were the Stanley's. Seemed Ralph got a kick out of the little red headed kid, with the banjo bigger than I was, picking and strumming. I had several opportunities to stand beside Ralph trying to keep up with songs like Rank Strangers, Train 45 and Clinch Mountain Backstep. Once we went to my Uncle's house and Bill and Charlie Monroe were there and that was the first time I heard Whitehorse Breakdown. I sort of picked it up on Banjo, but recently (past 5 years) having begun my interest in the Mandolin, I really wanted to get the music for the tune, and thanks to this site I have it now. I don't have quite the talent my Uncles had with being able to just pick up a tune by ear - but I can read music. This site, and particularly this group, is a fantastic resource.
  8. GHall
    GHall
    This may be a lesser known Kenny Baker/Bill Monroe tune, but sure is a lotta fun to play.
  9. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Wow!
  10. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice, not too fast yet still breath taking! I want to learn how to play like this...
    And Happy New Year again to you guys!
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine mando-guitar interplay!
  12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Eat your hearts out, Sierra and Sarah. What a super piece of picking.
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I saw this on Facebook and was amazed..Holy Cow !!!!