Christmas Tunes

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
  1. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Your family duo is such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your music here. I'd love to be able to play with your effortless assurance.
  2. GHall
    GHall
    Thanks, everyone! Your comments are very humbling and much appreciated!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Anton Reidinger (1884): Es wird scho glei dumpa (It will be dark soon)
    Arranged for mandolin quartet by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni (2018)

This is a popular Austrian Christmas carol. My instrumental recording for mandolin quartet (two mandolins, tenor guitar and mandocello) is based on an arrangement from Evelyn's fifth(!) annual collection of Christmas/winter tunes, posted on the Cafe here:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/142518

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie
    I saw Jona Lewie several Times in the early '70s when he was plain old John Lewis playing piano with Brett Marvin and the Thunderbolts.
  5. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks to all of you for bringing us in Christmas mood.
  6. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks Maudlin and Martin, I appreciate being introduced to new-to-me Christmas and winter music. Well played. Maudlin -- singing in SAW is always a bonus! I wish more folks here did that (and no, I haven't.)
  7. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Only my second video in 2018! And I don't think I'll manage a third, either.

8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa Dennis, what a shamelessly patriotic display contrasting an utterly pastoral rendition
  9. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice playing, nice visual setting, and nice pairing of two tunes. You are ahead of me by only 2 videos this year
  10. bbcee
    bbcee
    This was fun to figure out!

11. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Wow, that was nice!
  12. bbcee
    bbcee
    Thank you Kay, you're very kind!

I didn't mention that no six-strings were hurt or abused in this video - the electric is a tenor, tuned CGDA (well, CGD, as I broke the A while recording).
  13. GHall
    GHall
    Nice job, everyone! Here's one not often heard on the mandolin but a lotta fun to play! One that Bing Crosby made famous back in the day - "Mele Kalkimaka." Hope you enjoy
  14. bbcee
    bbcee
    Good stuff, ghall!
  15. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Semplice and tasteful.
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Time to revive this hallowed thread for the 2019 season, with the most hallowed carol of them all.

Silent Night (Stille nacht)

This arrangement of Silent Night for a trio of two mandolins and guitar was orginally published in the December 1938 editions of the BMG Magazine. It was subsequently reprinted in the 1975 book "A Variety of Mandolin Music", which was a collection of old BMG Magazine pieces. Nigel Gatherer has got a mandolin tab version of this arrangement on his website (although it misses the guitar part):

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab8/sn1.html

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)

Martin
  18. GHall
    GHall
    I've been wanting to learn this one for a while, so finally took some time to figure it out. Actually found some tabs from the Cafe here that had a three-part mandolin harmony, we were just a mandolin short Here's a link to the tabs.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-Mandolin-trio

Daughter is playing a Red Diamond A-5, I'm playing a Red Valley A flat top.

19. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great tune and playing, GHall. We have been playing "Carol Of The Bells" with our weekly mandolin group for a couple of years, using Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni's arrangement which is very effective. I was sure I had recorded and uploaded it already, but it seems not -- something to do before Christmas.

Martin
  20. ondrej
    ondrej
    Carols from the world
    Mandola or Tenor Guitar or Ukecello

Still, still, still (Austrian carol); Narodil se Kristus Pan (Czech carol); Vstavajte, pastieri, berte sa hor (Slovak carol); Deck The Halls (Welsh carol); Away In A Manger (English carol); Adeste Fideles (Latin carol)

Mandolin
    O Little Town Of Bethlehem (Music: L. H. Redner); I Saw Three Ships (English carol); Co se stalo, prihodilo (Moravian carol)
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Nice crosspicking! I've never mastered that myself.
  22. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well played Ondrej. Thanks for sharing these tunes, it’s nice to hear such a diverse selection.
  23. ondrej
    ondrej
    Gelsenbury and Simon DS thank you! Ondrej
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Recorded some tunes today and thought, ‘I’m sure I’ve done this one before (on the Wren/Bear dance set)’.
    Such is old age.
    Now I remember why I recorded it. It’s because it’s a winter or Christmas tune, so here’s The Wren on it’s own.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren_Day
  25. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice Simon. You have inspired me to learn this tune.
  26. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice compilation of Christmas tunes for 2019 till now.
  27. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Robert and Frithjof, yes the wren is a wonderful bird, very tame (for good reason) and one of the very few birds who sing in the winter.
    I imagine people living through long, dark and cold medieval winters with their only source of entertainment feeding a bird that nests next to the warm chimney and sings happily in their cottage all through until spring.
    Better than television.
  28. crisscross
    crisscross
    First time I watch this thread and already five nice contributions!
    I also have an idea for a Christmas tune I could play, but I'm not sure I'll manage to learn and record it until Christmas...
  29. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's what I did when there was some time between the last tutorials of the semester and the staff Christmas dinner. That arrangement of Carol of the Bells is very nice and easy to play.
  30. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice work Dennis!
    I really like the sound and the looks of your mandolin, but I suppose, it's no Gibson A4.

My Christmas Carol this year is a song, that has been performed by musicians as diverse
    as Miles Davis and Mario Lanza, Dolly Parton and Roberta Flack, just to name a few.
    I must confess, I like the version of George Strait: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ-4NU3seQA
    I wanted to do something similar, but playing neither fiddle nor pedal steel guitar, the only way to countrify
    my sound a little, was to do the backup in flatpicking fashion.
    Well, being an absolute beginner in that way of playing accompaniment, I had some problems.
    They probably wouldn't hire me as a session player in Nashville...
  31. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    One of my favourite carols! Nicely played, and nothing wrong with the backup.
  32. ondrej
    ondrej
    I'll add a record for the bouzouki.
    Away In A Manger (English carol); Byla cesta, byla uslapana (Moravian carol); I Saw Three Ships (English carol); Un Flambeau (Provencal carol); Vstavajte, pastieri, berte sa hor (Slovak carol)
  33. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Lots of great new Christmas recordings this year -- all sounding great!

As promised in my posting last week (by now several messages up in this thread), I have now also recorded "Carol Of The Bells" in the arrangement that we play with our mandolin group.

Mykola Leontovych (1916): Shchedryk (Carol of the Bells)

This famous Christmas carol started out as an adaptation of a Ukrainian folk tune. It was adapted for Christmas with new English lyrics in the 1930s.

This arrangement for mandolin quartet is by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, and played in her memory. Available as free download as part of Evelyn's first (of five) annual "Winter's Tale" collection of tunes:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...nes-for-winter

1898 Giuseppe Vinaccia mandolin (x2)
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin

Martin
  34. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds wonderful Martin! I didn't know this song is from Ukraine, so I searched for Shchedryk on Youtube and found some ukrainian versions,
    for example this a-capella version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UmvUy1LziE
    But the mandolin quartett sounds even better to my ears. The Vinaccia mandolin has a very good sound...

I don't think I'll find the time to arrange and practice two Christmas Carols this year, so I rearranged We three kings,
    the melody of which I already know how to play. My first version was rather folksy, with a strummed steel string guitar
    and an F-hole Mandolin, now I tried to record something more in the classical mood: a fingerpicked classical guitar and
    a bowlback mandolin:
  35. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    No tune this time, but the best wishes for the holidays and a totally interesting new year from Regina and myself!
    This goes out especially to the small circle of friends here who brought music, meetings and miscellaneous miracles into each other's life.
  36. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks for all of your music from 2019, I’ve really enjoyed listening to each and every new posting.
    Thanks especially for all of the optimistic, positive and encouraging comments, and I know that for some of us it has been a hard year. Kind thoughts to you.
    I’m really happy with my progression with the mandolin this year and a large part of it again is thanks to you gentlemen/women.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and year 2020 full of wonder, peace...
    Really looking forward to hearing you playing in the New Year and news or photos of the snow (or even rain)
    Simon
  37. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks Simon. I was trying to add a photo here but am having difficulty. I wish a Happy Christmas for all and am thankful for all of your comments and videos. C U on the flip side of 2020.
  38. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    And a happy Christmas and a prosperous and musically enjoyable 2020 to all of our great posters and lurkers who have supported this great group for so long. A true Scottish wish for all of you.
  39. ondrej
    ondrej
    I'll add a record for the Tres Cubano.
    Carols: Stille Nacht (Music: F. X. Gruber); Away In A Manger (English carol); O Little Town Of Bethlehem (Music: L. H. Redner); We Wish You a Merry Christmas (English carol)
  40. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Here's ours for 2020, this most unusual and unreal Christmas I've had in decades. Symbols of comfort are becoming more important. Let us all hold fast.
    Featuring two verses in English, one in German, a tin of German home-made cookies (enable them on your browser) and a traditional Scottish oaten bannock.

41. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you, Bertram and Regina! Wunderschön gespielt und in Szene gesetzt.

I'm now getting into the Christmas mood, thanks to you. I miss Germany terribly this year because several visits have been cancelled because of Corona. I've never spent so long without a visit home, and we were hoping for Christmas for a long time.

If that's your house in the video, it's a very nice house and makes me feel "homesick" in some way, too!
  42. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes Dennis, that's our home, and Regina sees to it that it is the place to be.
  43. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    The first carol for this strange year, a true classic, but executed extraordinarily well with Regina's fine voice and the flute melody!
    And don't forget the superb octave mandolin accompaniment.
  44. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely seasonal offering from the Henzes. Regina, you render this so well and in two languages, and your flute solo is beautiful!
  45. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks gents, and Regards from Regina.
  46. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Beautifully done Bertram (and Regina) it’s nice to hear singing too.
  47. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Away in Manger does seem to exist with two different melodies:
    the Version Mueller composed by James Ramsey Murray has a downward melodic movement.
    the Cradle Version composed by William James Kirkpatrick has an upward movement.
    On YT, most performers play the downward version, but Emmylou and me, we prefer upward movements...
  48. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Nice playing CC, sounds good with swing too, I guess you’re talking about your cat?
  49. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Thank you Christian, and everyone else who has contributed to this thread over the years. It always brings back the Christmas spirit.
  50. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Suitably uplifting, and in the right spirit, Christian. Hope we all have the best Christmas we can manage, however we manage it!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast