Sonny's Mazurka

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    According to those websites that deal with such information, Sonny's Mazurka is the second most popular mazurka in all Ireland. Here is a link to my mp3. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...4&d=1281084581
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    What's the MOST popular Mazurka?
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Number 1 by a long way is "Shoe the Donkey" but I was saving that one until I can do a more ambitious rendering. I'll try and post it before too long.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Isn't Shoe The Donkey (The Varsovienne) classed as a Polka? There's a Mazurka stuck in my mind for years so after a fit of Googlism last night I discovered the name of it - The Irish. I'm going to have a crack at it with Sonny's.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on an Eastman Mandola 815MDA...

6. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    From the Session

X: 1
    T: Sonny's
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: mazurka
    K: Dmaj
    |:DF|A2 AG FA|d2 dA BA|G3 B AG|FA EA DF|
    A2 AG FA|de dA BA|G3 g fe|d4:|
    |:Ad|f2 fa gf|e2 eg fe|d2 df ed|cd Bd Ad|
    f2 fa gf|e2 eg fe|d2 df ec|d4 :|

Link to Session Sheet Music Here
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I'm a bit surprised we haven't had this tune as a regular SAW, and only a very brief run as an "Other". Sonny's Mazurka is one of the favourite session mazurkas in Ireland, and a very nice tune, too. Mine is a straightforward recording on my Gibson Ajr, with tenor guitar backing -- a bit of an exercise in nailing the mazurka rhythm. All together: one-TWO-three, one-TWO-three ...

Martin
  8. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very good, Martin. The mazurka rhythm can also be on the third beat of the bar; just so long as it is not on the first , when it turns into a waltz.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    I'm not sure, I nailed the mazurka rhythm, but it's a beautiful melody anyway:
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A lovely delivery of a fine tune, Christian. Martin, belated (by nearly 5 years) congratulations on your very well delivered version from 2014!
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is really nice CC. I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Well done, Martin and Christian.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks John, Ginny and Frithjof !
  14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I was never quite sure about the rhythm of mazurkas either, here's my interpretation from a CD I recorded in 1998!!

15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Where can I buy your CDs, David?

This tune is going on the to-do list.
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    New recording of Sonny's Mazurka, as a set with Maggie West's Waltz and Michael's Marzurka posted over at the latter tune's thread:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...#gmessage93588

Martin
  17. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    My take on this fine mazurka.

18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The comments I made on your Out on The Ocean posting are equally applicable here, Aidan. Wonderful tone and such fine, clean playing. More in this vein, please.
  19. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Thanks, John. I appreciate the kind words.
  20. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    A great tune, really well played, as always, Aidan. A long way from the Latin mazurkas I used to play on the guitar (not to mention Polish ones). Your prolific recording at this same high quality never ceases to amaze.
  21. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    My quick take on this great tune. Essie (not Sonny) was insistent about being in the video.

22. Aidan Crossey
    Aidan Crossey
    Superb stuff, Richard. Henceforth to be known as Sonny's Meowzurka.
  23. Richard Carver
    Richard Carver
    Ha Ha... Thanks, Aidan. You probably recognized, and I should have said, that it was your version that I was playing. I started learning a different version, but I see that there are different conventions in barring mazurkas. The other one I was trying was presumably correct in starting at the beginning of the bar and thus putting the emphasis on the second note. However, I found the approach you (and others) took, which was to start the bar with the, as it were, second note much easier to read. It seems to me fine, so long as one doesn't forget that the first two quavers are not an anacrusis that can be omitted.