Mull of the Mountains

1. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Inspired by Bertram and Regina's lovely OM and flute rendition of this tune, I thank them for that. I do not know where to put it except here - Bertram gave me a link but it didn't work for me. With Emory's engineering assistance we layered it with drones and drums and he added guitar. To me it evoked the 'lone piper' image and as such used that as my theme.
    No pipers were injured in the making of this production.
  2. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks Ginny, reminded me of a time I was up in the Highlands, got to the top of a wee hill there with a little sleet, that was forecast to turn to heavy snow. We arrived at the top and heard someone piping, somewhere, maybe upwind. Couldn’t work out where he/she was, maybe miles away, the music was just in the wind. Wonderful.
    -later, quite tired, we weren’t even sure if it had been someone!
  3. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    That was beautiful Ginny. I really enjoyed it. Emory did a great job with the drones and drums too.
  4. crisscross
    crisscross
    Beautiful music and nice pictures of pipers wearing kilts!
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for your kind comments...Robert...I did all the music except the guitar strum throughout the tune. I almost did it all by myself..almost...so the drones and drums and dbl stops and melody were me..!! Yay...I learn something from you guys/gals every day. I like Mr. Sunrise's story about..was it there or just something we thought we heard in the wind. Funny that Bertram said the same thing about the wind.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    The pipes are never far away in Scottish settings, Ginny! Especially in the rural, quiet places. Many's the time I have heard them birling in places I knew there was no piper present, and no, it was not the drink talking. Wandering in the lonely glens and straths and traipsing across the hills there is always the sound of the wind, and it can quickly become the music of the pipes.
    Lovely version of one of my favourite Gaelic airs here. Different from the usual and interesting, and a fine sound from the mandolin especially.
  7. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very stately and noble sounding, Ginny.

I remember Iain MacCalman saying during a concert that pipers were there on all the hills, and only in winter they'd come down to the roads where it is warmer; sometimes one would get overrun by a car, but you don't have to worry in that case, just phone the local gamekeeper and he'd take care of the carcass... (a typical Iain MacCalman story)

I have taken the liberty to add your version to the other thread, thereby pushing it to the top so you can find it.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks Bertram. I gave you and Regina a shout out on my YT page too for inspiring me to do the song. That's a funny story. You seem to have a lot of those ! Thanks John and Bertram.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yeah, thanks for that shout-out Ginny
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That sounds wonderful Ginny. With all the drones and drums you made it complete your own. With Emory as engineering assistant you sure enough picked a winner.
  11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Ginny, my favourite version of this tune is by the Scottish band Ossian, although my version bears little resemblance, I had to give it a go.

12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wonderfully melancholic, David. The concertina adds a lot.
  13. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Beautiful.
  14. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Oh, yes!
    -and I’ve just heard your rendition of ‘The Fairy Queen’, David.
    Beautiful also.
    Thank you very much, that’s another tune that I HAVE to learn!
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    That is very beautiful David. It is, as you have done, a slow air. I pumped mine up a bit so it looked like Pipers were taking a bit of a slow march.
  16. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Beautiful question Ginny, thanks, are Slow Marches more personal than Slow Airs?
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    @sunrise. No they just walk funny.
  18. crisscross
    crisscross
    Slow air or slow march, beautiful tune, beautifully performed by David!
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    David's version is very beautiful. Can we all agree that one day we will descend on his house and look at his house and all his cool stuff? (actually I think this has been mentioned before)
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    "descend on his house" - you mean a SWAT team of action figures, dropping down the chimney of his fireplace? Wait - the SWAT team could be clothed in red and white, wielding Coca Cola bottles, sleigh bells a-jingle...
  21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That sounds like fun, I'm in.
  22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    As noted above, this tune has two different discussions, so I'm linking to the other in each thread! Here is the link to Mull of the Mountain thread started by Bertram Henze