Week #339 ~ Tabhair Dom Do Lamh (Give me Your Hand)

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Tabhair Dom Do Lamh, which was submitted as an IT tune. It's also known as Give Me Your Hand.

This site has a lengthy discussion of this tune.

Here is the link to the abc on thesession.org

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I recorded this one in 2012, using an arrangement by David James:

Link to PDF sheet music

I've recorded it with effectively a full band line-up: three mandolins, two tenor guitars and bouzouki. Melody in unison on the Ajr and tenor, low harmony on Ajr and bouzouki, high harmony on Embergher bowlback, rhythm on tenor guitar. David James gives a tempo of 70bpm, but that sounds far too slow to me, so I've played it at 120bpm, still somewhat short of Planxty's speed.

It's also one of the tunes at the BBC Virtual Session, at about the same speed.

Martin
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I did this tune five years ago for Eddie's thread (and a fun one it was), but have re-recorded it now because I play it with slightly different harmonies since then. Other than Martin's all-organic acoustic orchestra, I added genetically modified synthetic strings again

4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram, that was nice! Listening to you play, always makes me want to dig out my OM or my cittern, and play it more!
  5. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played... and some edgy backup harmonies which were very tasty too. It's so cool to hear you in full stereo also.
  6. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice versions Bertram and Martin. I tried at different speeds and decided to try 160 bpm but then I woke up with little dilemma this saturday, go cycling or make a recording for mandolincafe, a combination of both resulted in this video.

7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Three interesting versions, gents. Each of you brings something of himself to the tune and it's interesting to hear it an octave down in Bertram's version. incidentally, B, I hope your twin brother has not run off with the watch!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That was scary good luurtie!
  9. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Interesting harmonies on the new version Bertram. Here is my effort from 2012; first the tune, then chords as suggested by David James.
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I learned this tune from a local fiddler who played this with great dynamics and tempo variations. I like to stay tied to a steady rhythm. Here's mine on my Sobell octave mandolin and a Wheatstone concertina.

11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Exceptionally beautiful David! Just the right chosen instruments, speed and timing I think..
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Barb & Michael.

Good choice on the speed Hendrik, 160 is exactly the way to go - I was kind of hoping you'd play on the fiets, treading the pedals in time (but I guess there was a sign "mandoliners uitgezonderd")...

Thanks John, and welcome to my new Scottish* mystery series "Black Watch" I'm not sure about the plot yet - I guess my twin is off to be a captain, and the watch is out searching daylight saving time.

Interesting way of introducing chords Maudlin, almost like a harp player would do.

David gets my vote for being nearest to the Chieftains' gentle and lighthearted version.

(*) Scotland seems indeed to have been involved in the composition of this tune.
  13. Francis J
    Francis J
    Lovely versions all, mine owes more to Planxty than the Chieftains, two mandolins, a Bouzouki, and not a reed in sight.

14. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Martin - very nice and smooth rendition
    Bertram - loved the deep dark bits!!
    Hendrik - great rhythm and backup guitar. Very nice.
    Maudlin - good pickin as usual
    David - very beautiful and rounded composition
    Francis - great playing from the stringband, nice traditional sound.

Here's my go on mandolin, guitar, fiddle, and accordion

15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Francis, that's the most plain farmyard honesty you can get out of this tune, I guess. I picture - errr - where is Grant Wood when I need him?

Lovely rendition Bob, that mandolin has a special ringing tone with a wonderful sustain. The fiddle fits in just great.
  16. Francis J
    Francis J
    Thanks Bertram. (I think!) Nice one Bob, lovely arrangement.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    all good Francis! Full-size planxticity!
  18. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine versions of this ancient Irish tune! For my first recording, I had recorded the background chords at 116 bpm. That seemed a good tempo to me, but when I listened to the other contributions to this thread, my recording seemed pretty slow, so I showed that in my video:

Then, I made another recording, a bit faster. Not up to Hendrick's speed, but not the slowest version...
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two fine versions, Christian. I think I favour the second one for tempo, but it always a personal feeling where tempo is concerned and we are not playing for dancing!
  20. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Well done, Christian, I agree about the tempo, and always admire your tremolo!
    I could imagine two people doing contact dancing to both versions though. Could look really good. I quite often hear versions of quite different tempo and like them all, but for different reasons.
    For me it often just depends what I want to do with the tune, and sometimes if tune doesn’t work for me for it’s original intended purpose then it can be great for something else.
  21. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks John and atsunrise!
    I saw on YT some performances by harp-and whistleplayers, that were even slower.
    So, a good tune seems to work in many different tempos.
  22. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    I enjoyed that too Christian. I too like the little faster tempo but that may have more to do with hearing it that way more often.
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I actually like the slower one CC. Both are good though with some nice tone on your notes.
  24. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a fairly straightforward run through of this tune on OM, doubled on mandolin an octave higher on the repeats. Nothing fancy, but I felt like giving the Mid-Mo OM an outing and this tune suits its in-your-face-ness.

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/L1rrT52Zxno

Martin
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for reviving this discussion, Martin. Nice playing on your octave.