Week #173 ~ The Lovers Waltz by Jay Ungar

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Lovers Waltz by Jay Ungar. (Note, originally, in the poll, this was listed as Lover's Waltz by Jay Ungar, with (Ashokan Farewell) in parentheses. I've removed the (Ashokan Farewell) as it seems while both tunes were composed by Jay Ungar, they are two different tunes!)

I can't easily find notation for it, so if anyone can help me there, I'd appreciate it!

Here's a You Tube video

2. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's a a link. I am not advocating violating copyright.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...vers_waltz.png
  3. cwboal
    cwboal
    Here is another link. Under the discussion, it appears that Jay Unger gave permission for the posting of the notation.

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/4997
  4. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Here's a little better video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRyMH_4PO3Y

And this isn't the same tune that is listed on thesession.org. Ashokan Farewell is a completely different song...

edit: For some reason my youtube tags aren't working... so I just posted a link.
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    May I help you, Hastyman?

6. cwboal
    cwboal
    Thank you Hastyman and Manfred; my bad, as I thought we were voting on the Ashoken Farewell and didn't carefully read through Barbaras note above. My bad!
  7. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Thanks Manfred!
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Here's once through with mandolin and baritone guitar followed by the usual cast of characters on the second and third time. I liked it better staying in G rather than modulating to A. This tune sure makes me wish I played fiddle well.

9. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    X: 1
    T: Lover's Waltz Gmaj
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Gmaj
    |:DGB|"G"d3 d BG|"C"E3 D CB,|"G"(D6|D3) D GB|"G"d3 d BG|"C"E3 D CB,|
    "Am"(D6|"D7"D3) D EG|"Am"A3 G AB|"C"A G3 ED|"G"(D6|D3) D EG|
    "C"A3 G AB|"Am"A G3 ED|"D"(d4 d)e|d4 GF|"G"G4 GF|"Am7"G4 GF|
    "G"G3 G GF|"C"G2 c3 B|"G"G4 GF|"Em"G4 ED|"Am"(E4 E)D/2E/2|"D7"D4 GF|
    "C"E3 F G2|"D"F2 G2 A2|"Em"B3 c BA|G4 GF|"C"E2 F2 G2|
    "D7"A2 G3F|[1"G"(G6|G3):|[2 "G"G6|A3|

X: 2
    T: Lover's Waltz D
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K:D
    |:Adf|"D"a3 a fd|"G"B3 A GF|"D"(A6|A3) A df|"D"a3 a fd|"G"B3 A GF|
    "Em"(A6|"A7"A3)A Bd|"Em"e3 d ef|"G"e d3 BA|"D"(A6|A3) A Bd|
    "G"e3 d ef|"Em"e d3 BA|"A"(a4 a)b|a4 dc|"D"d4 dc|"Em7"d4 dc|
    "D"d3 d dc|"G"d2 g3 f|"D"d4 dc|"Bm"d4 BA|"Em"(B4 B)A/2B/2|"A7"A4 dc|
    "G"B3 c d2|"A"c2 d2 e2|"Bm"f3 g fe|d4 dc|"G"B2 c2 d2|"A7"e2 d3 c|"D"(d6|d3):|
  10. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    that was one too many
  11. Tavy
    Tavy
    There's abc for this here: http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/3766

Looks like another "must learn" tune...

Edit: Looks like Werner beat me to the post!
  12. Francis J
    Francis J
    David, no need for a fiddle. That works really well, and the slide show puts the proverbial hat on it! Great version.
  13. justkaron
    justkaron
    Wonderful presentation of this tune David. Slideshow was fine work!
  14. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    cw, it wasn't that you didn't read my post carefully, it originally did have Ashokan Farewell in parentheses, but once people started posting about it, I did a little more research and realized that they were two different tunes, and I went back and edited my post!
  15. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, great work by the Hansen band, and always a hard act to follow. Accompaniment by Band-in-the Box

16. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Great versions Manfred and David! I hope some day to be able to play half as good as you two.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Some great renditions there guys. I'll be along as fast as I can...
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Loved the Hansen band version and the baritone guitar added just the right touch. Mandfred's version with all the slides and tremolo picking was especially tasty.
  19. Eddie Sheehy
    Here it is - flubs and all (one take) on a Phil Crump C-III Cittern tuned CCGGDDAAEE in C and D...

20. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    That thing booms Eddie. Very cool.
    Very nice as always David. Loved the hotties in the sideshow. Especially Minnie.
    Manfred love that slow waltz. Very pretty.
    Gary
  21. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    That was beautiful, Eddie! Love that cittern!
  22. laura809
    laura809
    David, I loved the slide show and the very full sound. Manfred, I think you nailed the right feel for this very pretty tune. Eddie, that cittern has a very cool sound to it and you did some very interesting things to make your arrangement unique.
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Laura, that was beautiful!
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Laura, I concur with Barbara: very beautiful, very tasteful guitar accompaniment, great sound from your mando.
  25. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    David Hansen and I played this one last night on Mandonators. We took turns playing the melody and backing each other up, and we were pretty happy with it! It's such a pretty tune!

I'm playing my newly-minted (almost done) octave fanned-fret 5-string Mandonator. Dave's playing my 4-string (serial number 4). He'd loaned his Mandonator out. But it didn't phase him any I am glad to say.

(If you want to know more about Mandonators, please hop over to the web site my wife made for me: http://www.tophergayle.com)
  26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Let me be the first to say.... that was awesome!!!!!!
  27. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    Thanks! We had fun with that lovely tune.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those instruments sound exceptionally nice together guys. Topher, it's great to see you posting here. I've been an admirer of your mandonators for quite a while.
  29. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The 5 string Octave Mandonator and the 4 string Mandonator sound incredible together, especially in the hands of two such capable players.
  30. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    It figures you would pick my suggestion whilst I was on Vacation with minimal web access. I had mentioned "Ashokan Farewell" because folks may not have recognized Jay Unger as the Author of this waltz. I'll get busy and post my Vid soon.
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, we are looking forward to it! I wouldn't mind hearing/seeing you do one on the fiddle, hint hint!
  32. SMH
    SMH
    OK First attempt at a SAW video (see introductions). I apologize for the sound quality. I live on a busy street and I recorded this at the start of rush hour with the windows open.

Sean
  33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That was really smooth and filled with such lovely tremolo. The afternoon traffic showcased how enjoyable it is to take time to sit down and pick a slow tune while the world rushes by.
  34. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    My first post in quite a while, missed all of you. Put down the mandolin and picked up a fiddle about 15 months ago. Still have a lot of work but it has been a ball. Hope to post more in the near future.

http://youtu.be/qKDkakI0-gQ
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Michael, great to see and hear you again! Lovin' the fiddling!
  36. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I was on holiday when this one came around as tune of the week, but I just remembered that I had made an attempt to record this tune a few months ago. Apologies for the abrupt ending: I prerecorded the backing track for both parts of the tune, but in the end I couldn't make the transposed variation in D hang together on the recording, so I stopped the track after the G major section. Listening back, I think it works just fine without the D major section -- I see that most of the other (very nice!) takes in this thread made the same decision. Played on the Ajr.

MP3

Martin
  37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just came across this tune while browsing the old SAW choices and was really impressed by both the original version played by the composers and the many fine versions posted here by the regulars.

here is my newly-recorded and belated version on bouzouki, octave and mandolin with guitar backing; bouzouki first in G with mando 2nd time, then octave in key D with mando added 2nd time.

[mp3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=100980&d=1366059549[/mp3]
  38. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    John. Listening to your instruments is magical.
    Like an entire family singing beautiful harmony.
    Gary
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Gary, thanks so much for your very encouraging comment.
  40. mquimpy
    mquimpy
    I recently joined your group and must say I've never heard this tune, but it is absolutely beautiful. Nice job to everyone who played. I'm glad the thread got bumped up or I might not have ever come across this pretty little song. Thanks.
  41. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I'm just revisiting this old SAW tune, as I've stumbled across a twin fiddle arrangement at Fiddle Hangout (Link)-- fairly straightforward, the second mandolin is in parallel third harmony throughout and the D major part is a simple transposition of the G major part rather than a variation as in Jay Ungar's original. It works quite nicely with two mandolins, though, so I've recorded it with my Ajr and the F-style:

Melody: 1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (right channel)
    Harmony: 1980s Washburn M3-SW mandolin (left channel)
    Rhythm: Ozark tenor guitar

Here is my recording with the Cafe's embedded player:

[mp3=2]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102110&d=1368489512[/mp3]

And the same recording on Youtube:

Martin
  42. GHall
    GHall
    This is such a pretty tune, and I love hearing all the variations...
  43. crisscross
    crisscross
    As I mentioned in the Ashokan-Farewell-Thread: I've only recently discovered Jay and Molly and now am playing some of their beautiful waltzes.
    Nice versions in this thread, it's the same as with Ashoken Farewell: there are those with swing eights and those with straight eights; I opted again for straight eights, but in my next waltz, I'm gonna swing...
  44. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    What a beautiful version of this tune. I really like the sound of just a mandolin and guitar. Interesting guitar. looks like something from the early romantic era. I am really enjoying these Jay Ungar tunes. I know a few of his more up tempo tunes but not a waltz yet.
  45. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert! You are right:the guitar is a copy of an early romantic guitar.
  46. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Well played on both instruments, crisscross.

I like this waltz a lot and play it very often. It used to be one of the first tunes I learned as a SAW-lurker. So thanks to all the others who submitted to this thread.
  47. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Ginny and John did a nice collaboration on this tune. I simply point to the new thread.
  48. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This lovely waltz by Jay Ungar has been in our repertoire ever since the 2013 version I uploaded earlier in this thread. Here is an update, varying the style in each repeat.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/jaQaZzwPrZY

Martin
  49. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice arrangement, Martin, and I like the key change from G to D.

Frithjof, I had a look at the link you posted above of the version Ginny and I put together in November 2019. Ginny had also posted a solo version at the same time but I see her version is no longer available. I imagine she later deleted it.
  50. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Fine recording with lots of variation, Martin