Week #504 ~ Teardrop Waltz

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This Week's winner is Teardrop Waltz.

Here is a link to standard notation.

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Barbara!
    There seem to be two settings of this waltz.
    Here's a link to the first setting with standard notation, mandolin tablature and chord symbols:
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...t_setting).htm
    And here's a link to the second setting:
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...d_setting).htm
    The chord progression and the melody differ slightly.
    The Teardrop Waltz has been the front-runner for the last week, so I already recorded my version.
    It's a slightly simplified variant of the first setting:
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sorry Christian – no time to comment your recording.
    I’m very busy. I have to learn three waltzes from the last three threads submitted within two days …
  4. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done crisscross! This is beautiful. maybe I need to learn another waltz.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A winner again, Christian. You are creating a great repertoire of lovely tunes.
  6. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert and John!
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I can't keep up with CC. I want to play them all, but like Frithjof I cannot do them all. But it sure is nice listening to them.
  8. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Do people still post their versions of these tunes? I've been AWOL from the group for bit. Threw in some double stops and tremolos to compensate on having a pick instead of a bow in my right hand. And don't try to set your metronome to my "counting" all the dotted quarter notes!

9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds fine, I like the slides!
    Your mandolin sounds great!
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your nice version, Mike. You made good use of our tiny (pick-)bow.
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    For Leo:
  12. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Nicely done crisscross. The quality of your recordings is always so clear and well balanced.
  13. crisscross
    crisscross
    That nice recording wasn't made by me, but by Leo37. He had posted it in the poll-section of the main forum, and I transferred it to this thread.
    But I guess, meanwhile Leo37 knows where to post the SAW.tunes...
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Nice version by Leo. I like how mandolin and guitar play it together in the least part..
  15. Leo37
    Leo37
    Thanks Robert and Frithjof and special thanks for Christian for placing the link at the right place.

It is the first time that I participate in this projekt. It is an interesting task that gave me a lot of pleasure.

Leo
  16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I meant to record this lovely waltz earlier, but have only just got around.

This is an old-time waltz tune by the Canadian fiddler Reg Bouvette, which I have recorded on an old Gibson mandolin with tenor guitar backing. I have used Anne Lederman's transcription from:

http://www.annelederman.com/sheetmusic/teardrop_DD.pdf

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Leo - do you have a You Tube page? I'd like to find it if you let me know what it's called. Thanks
    Martin, your version is very nice and nicely balanced with the tenor. As a Canadian I did not know we actually waltzed. Usually we only write songs about freezing feet. Maybe waltzing kept us warm.
  18. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine mandolin/tenor guitar duet Martin, I really enjoyed it!
  19. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very nice, Martin.
  20. Leo37
    Leo37
    Ginny, I would be happy to have. Unfortunately I am have no experience with video editors to realize what I would like to do. Mixing different camera views. Maybe next year. Thanks for asking.
  21. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very pretty. nice version Martin.
  22. Tommcgtx
    Tommcgtx
    I'm working on this right now, but I'd love to learn this version:
  23. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is nice Casey, very flowing. I subscribed to your channel but see it's been a while since you've posted. Will you do more? Sounds good.
  24. Tommcgtx
    Tommcgtx
    Ginny, I hope you don't think that was me! I'm not that skilled, but I love the way he plays this.
  25. Bren
    Bren
    Thanks to Barbara's index and my search function, i just realised this tune had been posted before. Doh!

I had just gone and posted my version in the "sound and video files" forum so rather than post it again I'll link to that:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...Teardrop-Waltz

Pretty much used the same Patti Kusturok & Donna Turk version as a rhythm guide so double face-slap to myself for not checking here first!
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice effort there, Bren. I liked your multi-screen format a lot. And your playing!
  27. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Bren, your recording sounds great. You did a nice job with your hardware and software.
  28. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Nice to listen to and to watch.
    Are there two mandolins and a guitar in this video, or is the F-style a mandola?
  29. Bren
    Bren
    Thanks Christian, two mandos - the F-stye is a recent purchase, Eastman 815.

tbh I think the slight dissonance in the unison bits first time round is because of using two different mandos.
    They blend very well in the harmony bits but maybe slightly different in the unison bits.

or I just didn't check my tuning carefully enough.
  30. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Great video, Bren!