Key of "G"

1. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Hey fellows, I have a question. Does anyone else have problems playing in the key of “G”? The first tunes I learned on the mandolin were “D” and “A” songs and I cannot seem to bridge the gap to a comfortable “G” position. I have no problem with “C”, “E minor”, or even “B flat” but “G” gives me fits. I have one good combination in “G” but cannot play it for every break. Any advice or direction would be appreciated.
    Brian
  2. 300win
    300win
    Man, you should be able to do the same stuff you do in C and just drop everything down a string to G. Same fingering, same double stops, same slides etc. just down one string. Take for example Billy In The Low Ground, should be able to use the same fingering manouvers in G as you do in C except for the bridge part, where you are going to the F, if you're playing in G when you come to bridge you'll have to figure out how to transfer to the C which takes the place of the F inf you are beging in G. Hope this makes sense to you. If you can play in any flat, you should have no trouble playing in any other key. Alot of people I know that are dang good pickers will not play in Bb. Course thats a chord like any other and you just have to practise in it. One of the excersises I do is play Sailor's Hornpipe in F { which is the easiest for me} then G, then A. A for me is the hardest because I'm not to good at using my little finger to pick lead, which if playing that particular tune in the key of A it really helps if you have command of that finger.
  3. 300win
    300win
    Also after reading your post again. You don't need to do everything you know in one chord for a break. Sit down take your time and play the words if any, or the melody, that will work if you are playing by ear. Just because you know a series of riffs in one chord will not make you able to play any song/tune in that chord. Improvising is a good thing, it brimgs out an individual pickers interpatation of a tune/song, but if you get far off the true melody, then nobody except you will know what you are playing.
  4. Bluegrassrules
    Bluegrassrules
    Thank you, very good advice.
    Have a good day, Brian
  5. 300win
    300win
    You're welcome Brian. Glad I could help you.