The Jam at St James

1. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Composed by Judi Morningstar © 2019

Here is what she said on her YouTube posting:
    "A swingy jig that I composed on July 2nd 2019, played on my older Webster Chromatic dulcimer. I named it after THE town on Beaver Island, Michigan, St James where we hope to be jamming as well as enjoying the island during the "Be Happy Dance Weekend" August 16 thru 18th 2019."

If you would like to hear her play this on a hammered dulcimer visit her post at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObT9YKWAxnU

Judi included the notation at the very end of her YouTube post.

Photos are mostly from jam sessions at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Kansas. (Home of the national mandolin championship, among others)

Mandolin - Collings MTO
    Lead Guitar - Martin 0028
    Rhythm guitar - Gibson J45 Studio

2. crisscross
    crisscross
    Sounds fantastic, Robert! You always discover these nice tunes. I also like Judi's version on hammered dulcimer, but your combination of the Collings mandolin and the Martin guitar with the Gibson as a backup is just great!
  3. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Robert finds these tunes I've never heard of and WOW - this has got to be one of your best yet. Excellent quality work.
  4. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Robert, your performance is great. I like how the instruments talk to each other.

OTOH I’m surprised and confused because I guess I know this melody for long. I can’t name it but it sounds very familiar to me. I hope friends with a better memory can help.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's one harmonious and warm orchestra you have there, Robert. The bounciness and instrumentation carry each other.
  6. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Thanks everyone. I found this listening to new hammered dulcimer posts on YouTube. I am learning the hammered dulcimer as a new interest in retirement but don't play well yet. It is a lot of fun though.
    Judi Morningstar also wrote "The March Of St. Timothy" if you have heard that tune (the Keebler elf song if you have seen those commercials).

I just checked and "The March Of St. Timothy" doesn't seem to be on the lists so I guess I need to do a recording because it is another cool tune!

Here is the abc notation in case anyone would like it.
    X:1
    T:March of St. Timothy
    C:Judi Morningstar
    L:1/8
    M:4/4
    K:G
    "G"B3c d2 B2 | "D7"A3B c2 A2 | "Em"G3A B2 G2 | "Bm"G2 F2 E2 D2 |! "C"E3F G2 E2 | \
    "G"D2 G2 B2 d2 |1 "Am"c3B A2 G2 | "D7"F2 A2 D2 c2 :|2 "Am"cB AG "D7"F2 A2 | "G"G6 dd \
    |!|: "D7"c2 d2 A2 c2 | F2 A2 D2 dd | "G"B2 d2 G2 B2 | D2 G2 B,2 dd |! "D7"c2 d2 A2 c2 | \
    F2 A2 D2 dd | "G"d2 D2 E2 F2 | G2 A2 B2 dd |! "D7"c2 d2 A2 c2 | F2 A2 D2 dd | "G"B2 d2 G2 B2 | \
    D2 G2 B,2 G2 |! "C"E3F "C#dim"G2 E2 | "G"D2 G2 "Em"B2 d2 | "Am"cB AG "D7"F2 A2 | \
    "G"G8 |] \
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Robert - this has song has mesmerized me..(thank you spell check) ..I will give it a shot..will take a while I think..but up for the challenge. maybe.
  8. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Ginny - It did that to me too!
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi all. Here is the version that Ginny and I have put together after watching and listening to the tune posted originally by Robert. Ginny sent me a recording of her playing the melody on mandolin, and I added in another mandolin and guitar backing and guitar melody.

The pictures presented a problem as we had nothing suitable to depict a jam, and getting together to create our own jam session was not really on, with Ginny being in Ontario and me in Scotland, so I took pictures of some of my instruments and used them, suitably enhanced(?).

I have deleted the original and uploaded an edited version where I have acknowledged Judi Morningstar in the credits - thanks to Ginny for this reminder. If you have left any comments on the YouTube page, they'll have been deleted with the video, so please feel free to revisit (or not!)

10. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    I love what you did to this song. Loving the bass which really enhanced the mood and your creativity in using your own JK instruments to reflect some cool photos. Thanks to Robert for posting and for Judi Morningstar for writing it.
  11. crisscross
    crisscross
    Fine playing and nice pictures!
    I especially like the little guitar...
  12. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice Ginny & John. I especially liked the bass lines. I like this tune more all the time!
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Ginny, CC and Robert. Interestingly, the bass sound is not actually a bass guitar but just standard guitar which I used to play the backing chords and the lead line as well. It is a Stratocaster - and on an acoustic recording too!
  14. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Hi, that sounds great. I like your arrangement and how you mixed the voices.
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you too for the comments. All is great except Crisscross changed his avatar and I can't figure out what it is. Didn't you have a cat? Or am I confusing it with YT.
  16. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    John, is that mandolin about 25 seconds into the video really blue? It's a beautiful instrument in any case, and sounds good too.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Gelsenbury. It is the same one shown at the start of the video, two-point with spruce top and mahogany back and sides. I just played about with the photos before uploading them (I was using a program called Paint.net). CC does this on his videos with pictures of his instruments, and it just appealed to me for this video.