Week No. 26 ~ Midnight on the Water

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Eddie Sheehy
    Well girls, I have a wife to do the ironing... apparently there's an ironing board on the back of the washroom door - wherever that is... BTW, she wore white at the wedding... I insisted she match the other kitchen appliances...
    Just kidding... great music... I'm slow getting this one in, I had my niece visiting from Ireland for three weeks.

Here it is on a Richard Beard Bouzouki tuned GGDDAADD.

2. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Nice job Eddie -- if you have time to play that insturment then you have time to iron eh? But I won't say that too loud -- besides that is what wash n' wear is for anywho.

Well my life has settle down a bit and so I thought I'd start posting a few videos again.

This is a wonderful tune -- never took time to learn it now always wanted to -- I have the greatest excuse.

Some great videos by all the posters before me -- really great to hear all the variations.

This is my effort -- I am so tired of recording over and over again.... so starting now and from now on they will all be like this -- one try and on to the upload it goes.

I don't mind practicing a hundred times -- but 5 to 10 botched videos?

NO! From now only ONE botched video

3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's the way, Bernie - nice job!
  4. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Well just one time I'd like to post one like you always put up!! It's good to have goals!
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    The day I can post a first vid that looks like Dave's I'm turning pro...
    I'm with you on the first-post Bernie, I stopped the multiple-try effort a while ago since the "extra" tries were rarely an improvement - the law of diminishing returns applied early. Besides, Bernie, there's not much wrong with your video...
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Eddie - that sounds absolutely gift played on the bouzouki, nice job!

Bernie - I don't know about botched there sir, it sure sounded grand to me!
  7. Susanne
    Susanne
    Bernie - VERY nice! I loved that!
  8. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    You folks are too kind -- but hey that's part of what makes you great.
    I came across this last night and enjoyed it -- I thought the mando was great but the fiddler put an extra touch in it. Still I think this is a tune that is MADE for the mandolins......
  9. Susanne
    Susanne
    And I certainly think this tune is made for the fiddle! I've learned it on the mandolin, though. Couldn't stay away from the tune although I was fiddle-less at the moment.
  10. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Here I am playing catch-up with my video postings again. I tried to get past my habit of playing in first position with this tune and played up the neck a little bit. It didn't turn out quite like what I had in mind. I think I'm going to revisit it when I have time and try to work in some tremelo as some of the rest of you did.

11. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Here's my version...like Old Sausage I found inspiration in Butch Baldassari's version.
    Wow is it week #38 already....I got some catching up to do!

12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one David, lovely version there!
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like the pep you gave that rendition, David. That is one fun instrument too.
  14. billkilpatrick
    late - very late:

15. Eddie Sheehy
    You saved the best wine 'til last, Bill...
  16. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    This is such a lovely tune, and it was a good one for my ongoing study in tremolo. Lots of fun to go back and watch these clips from around two years ago.

17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done Marcelyn. I liked how you keep the pulse of the 3/4 time going while you were also placing the tremolo and the chords in there too! Not any easy thing to do at all and you've managed it nicely...even with the slight detour at the very end it's still an impressive arrangement.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hi Marcelyn - I agree with Michael, it sounds really good and is very well played. I'm sorry to dish out unasked-for advice, and you're probably already aware of it, but watch the waving left hand and the position your hold the mando. You're a really talented player and once you fix those easy technique basics you're going to be scary-good.
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks David, I'm always hoping for advice, especially tips from the greats around here. That's my main goal in recording these clips. I'll get right on shaping that up.

Ha, Michael, I spent about five minutes last night trying to come up with a word to warn folks about the tricky ending, but in the end, I gave up and figured you guys would find out when you got there. Detour hits the nail on the head.
  20. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Nicely done Marcelyn!

Is that a new Keith Newell mandolin I see you playing? If so, I saw it in the build stage in September when I went up to have Keith tweak my A string by moving the bridge a bit. While I was there, he showed me yours he was building, I said I knew you from the SAW forums. How do you like it so far? It sounds incredible, like all the mandolins I've seen him build. Looks like you're set for great instruments for a while.

Have fun!

Jim
  21. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is the one, Jim. He did a super job on it. You're right, I have all I want where mandollins are concerned...not that I'd turn down a cool mandola. I love the sound of mandolas.

Next time you see him, bug him about posting here. He joined up and I'd love to hear more of his instruments.
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've finally got around to recording this fine waltz. This is an arrangement for contra dance band by our own Evelyn (harper) -- thanks, Evelyn!

I'm playing the tune three times through, with guitar and second mandolin swapping parts for added variety.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
  23. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Lovely work - Martin. A great arrangement beautifully played.
  24. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice arrangement and playing, Martin.
    And thanks for bringing this up again.
    It's one of my favorites but I have needed many takes to get this down

25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I love those slides and double stops, Manfred! That's just beautiful. I've been playing this one too ever since it resurfaced thanks to Martin's great arrangement.
  26. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    You have such a nice tone Manfred. I love it the way you play it!
  27. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I heared this nice tune again and took the opportunity to make a recording with my new mandolin handmade by dutch luthier Teun van Duijvenbode. I love the bright romantic sound of it. Especially good for these kind of tunes.

28. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    That's a great sounding and beautiful looking mandolin and those tremolo double stops when you slide up the neck were heavenly listening. Well done.
  29. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hendrik, that is one great sounding and looking mandolin!! Quite bright with good sustain. Also, as Michael said, wonderful slides. I also like your interpretation of the A part. I'll have to steal that...
  30. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I was browsing through the old lists Barbara furnishes us with and came on this tune - from Week 25 back in October 2009! The last post I noted was in 2016 and I thought it might just stand being revived now.

Played on mandolin, octave, guitar and synth bass. I had no midnight pictures of any water, so doctored (rather badly as I see now) some of my photos of The Holy Loch which is only a few minutes walk from my home and a small inlet of the Firth of Clyde.

31. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one John - funnily enough I was just thinking about this tune the other day - haven't played it in ages!
  32. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Been working on this one! I think it's coming up soon in the Newbies group.
  33. Brian560
    Brian560
    John , that sounds nice
  34. Jess L.
    Jess L.
    Sounds good, John! And going back to last year's posts which I somehow missed, luurtie's version sounds nice too. Now I better go further back on the page and see the other earlier versions. Love this forum, it's often like a mini concert with all the cool versions everyone plays.
  35. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    lovely version there John. i've loved this tune since hearing Dan Beimborn play it but with my head being stuck in jigs and reels mode, i i could never get my head around it to learn it myself, i must have another stab it
  36. bbcee
    bbcee
    Nice feel & tempo, John. Boy, is the light ever blue up there!

I've been trying to synthesize several versions into one that's my own ... hope to post it here before long.
  37. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Here's our submission, it features a two song medley:

1. While We're Here (©2016, Ashley Broder)
    2. Midnight On The Water (Thomasson) at about 1:03

bbcee (Bruce Calder) arranged this medley, and allowed me to produce it and play mandolin on it. Thanks Bruce! Bruce plays mandola throughout, and I add mandolin.

38. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    In the mandolin method by Rich delGrosso this waltz has another name, "Mockin' Bird Hill"...I realize now why I didn't find it in internet years ago...
  39. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    What a nice soothing arrangement, Mark and Bruce. Likewise, I found John's submission enjoyable, and better add this to my learn list.
  40. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thanks, Kay. Bruce got the idea for mandola backing from a version John Reischman did; Bruce's mandola playing was inspirational to me.
  41. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's really great, Mark and Bruce! I'm just listening again. It's so nice and peaceful.
  42. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Great set there, Mark. Well played, both of you.
  43. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Thank you John, and thank you for your inspiring arrangement as well! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to all the versions in this old thread at the beginning of the month, and have enjoyed revisiting many, including yours. A very nice waltz, and beautifully represented in SAW.
  44. crisscross
    crisscross
    Why has no one told me, that there is a beautiful waltz at the beginning of the contents list?
    I discovered this tune 3 days ago and really enjoyed your renditions. There are two ways of playing this waltz:
    -the first is to repeat the B-part.
    -the second is to only play it once.
    I decided to play it only once, because it has the double length of the A-part.
    I played my version from a copy of a page of the Waltz Book by Bill Matthiesen.
  45. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely playing, arrangement and video, Christian. I see it is around 15 months since the tune was last featured, and it is always good to see those tunes being revisited.
  46. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks John!
  47. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done crisscross. Very beautiful and relaxing. Your tremolo is so smooth.
  48. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert!
    Back in 2009, the Euro was strong and the Dollar kind of weak.
    I decided to take advantage of that and have myself a mandolin built in the States.
    I chose Pomeroy Instruments and had Don Paine build an A2 for me.
    Today, I had a look inside, and discovered, that it was finished in August 2009.
    I had missed its birthday! To make up, I made a little recording, and still having the playback for Midnight on the Water, I recorded that tune, using my 10 year old Pomeroy A2:
  49. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Two beautiful versions, Christian. And there are other very fine versions above.
    I should play this nice waltz more often.
  50. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Revisiting an old friend -- arrangement by Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni, in the way we've been playing it for some years with our weekly practice group/jam.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast