Stars For Liesbeth

1. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Late one night at the Carp Camp Jam after LOTS of fast tunes there was a pause and someone turned to one of the fiddle players and said "Play something pretty". She played this tune. Definitely pretty!

Since I am tremolo impaired this is the best I can do.

Composed by Glenn McLure

Photos from NASA "Picture of the Day" site

Mandolin - Collings MTO
    Guitar - Martin 0028

abc notation:

X:1
    T:Stars For Liesbeth
    C:Glenn McLure
    L:1/8
    M:3/4
    K:D
    A2 |: "D"[d2F2] c2 d2 | "D/F#"[A4D4] F2 | "G"[G3B,3]e d2 | "A"[c2E2] B2 [A2C2] | \
    "D"[d3A3F3]e f2 | "G"[B2G2] c2 d2 | "A7"[AG]d3 [c2] |1 "D"[d4A4F4] A2 :|2"D" [d4A4F4] e2 \
    |: "D"[f3d3]g a2 | "A/C#"[e2c2] f2 g2 | "Bm"[f3d3B3]e d2 | "F#m/A"[c4A4F4] A2 | \
    "G"[B3G3]c d2 |1 "D"A2 F2 D2 | "G"[G2B,2] A2 B2 | "A"[c2E2] d2 [e2c2] :|2 "A"[e2c2A2] d2 [c2G2] | \
    "D"[d4A4] G2 | [d6D6F6] |] \
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Too pretty - you sure are coming up with new and interesting tunes. Was this another hammered dulcimer tune?
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    That sounds very pretty like you played it without any tremolo – and I like tremolo.
  4. crisscross
    crisscross
    Another fine recording!
  5. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Thanks everyone. I originally heard it on fiddle and mandolin but a little later on hammered dulcimer too. I did work out an arangement for hammered dulcimer but haven't really learned it well yet. So many tunes, so little time....
  6. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Robert - I don't think this tune needed tremolo...I too am a mix between tremolo impaired and just plain not liking it. Some people (recently, like CrissCross) have it down just right. I don't use it so I don't really practice it. This is a lovely piece and John Kelly helped me with the abc notation thing. It is as someone said...very pretty.
    I agree as much as you said (perhaps) in jest..so many tunes, so little time...I can't stop myself even though I'm doing some totally different stuff with the teacher. Ahhhhh
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely tune, and the arrangement you posted is interesting, Robert. I like the inclusion of chords in the melody and they suit fingerstyle guitar picking really well in the key used in the abc. I have been in touch with Ginny re our maybe having a go at the tune in the near future, and she has just posted above me here!
  8. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    John - I forgot the harmony notes were in that abc file. Those are what I use on my hammered dulcimer so they may not work as well on the mandolin. I look forward to hearing your collaboration with Ginny.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    Thanks Robert for introducing this nice waltz to the SAW group!
    I'm sure, my version won't be the last one:
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A lovely recording, CC. Beautifully clear and good instrument separation throughout. Yet another CC success!
  11. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done crisscross. A very relaxing and beautiful rendition.
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison

Stars for Liesbeth
    Thank you to all the lovely postings of this tune. My thanks and much credit to my friend and music collaborator John Kelly in Scotland who received a mandolin melody on mp3 and through his creativity and multi-instrumentation made a 'pretty song' (as Robert had said) There were many mp3s crossing the ocean to stitch this together.
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    CC that is a very nice rendition of the tune. I commented earlier, but my Internet is giving me headaches. It took four attempts to get my post up.
  14. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Lovely version Ginny and John. I like all the interesting play between the instruments. Beautiful photos too.
  15. crisscross
    crisscross
    Beautiful rendition Ginny and John!
    Like Robert, I really like the instrumental interplay.
    And thanks to Ginny, Robert and John!
  16. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Yes, Christian, that's a nice tune for your beautiful tremolo.
    And Ginny and John delivered another great version, too.
  17. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thank you for your comments. I think Robert chose a nice song and is was a pleasure to tag along.
  18. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Always a lot of fun putting those collaborations together. As Ginny says, mp3s and ideas fly back and forth across the ether and we manage to end up with something that we both like and that others seem to enjoy too. Music transcends boundaries indeed.
    Thanks for all the work on putting suitable visual material with the music, Ginny.