Da Auld Rocking Chair (Tom Anderson, Shetland)

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    [Edit: Sorry, the subject line should have been "Da Auld Resting Chair", not "Rocking Chair", but I can't edit it. Barbara: when you add it to the "Other tunes" index, please use the corrected name.]

This is a slow air written by the celebrated Shetland fiddler Tom Anderson (1910-1991). As far as I can tell, it was written as a fiddle duet, with original harmony part along with the melody. It's variously called "Da Auld Resting Chair", "Da Restin Chair", "The Old Resting Chair" or variations thereof.

Tom Anderson's own version of this, recorded in 1990 as a duet with Catriona MacDonald, is at:

https://youtu.be/Xq5JBSu5tqY

Another version on two fiddles and mandocello (!) is at:

https://youtu.be/pzvU2hM1xQ8

I have recorded the tune on two mandolins with accompaniment on mandocello and tenor guitar. To mix things, the mandocello switches to melody and then harmony on the repeat.

Both fiddle parts and the chords are at thesession.org and also (near identical but prettier) at Musescore:

https://thesession.org/tunes/2223
    https://musescore.com/user/19329/scores/557651

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  2. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice playing and recording Martin.
  3. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good find. Sounds really good, Martin.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine arrangement, Martin, as always.
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    It's a pretty tune. I like your tremolo a lot. Do you use a special pick or technique, or is it just years of practice?
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A fine rendition, doing Tom Anderson justice, and a fine mismatched collection of musical chairs - hey, the one at 0:53 looks like one of mine, and even Le Corbusier is not forgotten!
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, all! Tom Anderson was a great fiddler, and wrote some fab tunes. I think this one is his one of his best-known, along with Da Slokkit Light.

Dennis: I don't think I'm using any special pick or technique. My pick depends on what mandolin I'm playing. On the Gibson and Mid-Mo I used for this recording, it's a Wegen 1.0mm black bluegrass guitar pick (teardrop, not triangle), which is fairly stiff and has a nice bevel. On bowlbacks, I use a 0.88mm Jim Dunlop nylon pick. Either way, I aim for a very loose grip which allows the pick to freely pivot between the fingers as it hits the strings. The pivot point should be as close to the strings as possible, i.e. have only the very tip of the pick protruding between the fingers, not more than 2-3mm. I tremolo by rotating the wrist, not by moving it up and down. Easier to do than describe.

Playing lots of Italian and early 20th century music in a mandolin ensemble for a decade or so also helps...

Martin
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Martin, I am a great fan of Tom Anderson's compositions and they always seem to have a character of their own. Here is my version of the tune, played on mandolin and octave, with guitar, piano and synth bass as backing. I just wish I could do those tunes justice on the fiddle!

9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a lovely rendition too, played with great sensitivity and musicality. Beautiful!
  10. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Both very nice, though different!
  11. Brian560
    Brian560
    Martin , John: Both are great renditions of the song.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Sounds very authentic, John.
    It's fun to play along with both renditions.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I couldn't pass this up. Thanks to Martin for posting his lovely version here and thanks to John whose flair for playing airs is unmatched. I tried to play the harmony part but I just couldn't make it sound good so I play the melody on the mandolin & the same part an octave lower on the tenor guitar. The backup is cittern & double bass. I love this tune.

14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Fantastic, David. That mighty bass adds a lot of upholstery
  15. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Beautiful renditions!
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

The cittern and bass backing really makes it David.
    We used to play this number using Christine Martin's arrangement for two mandolins
  17. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for those fabulous recordings, John, David and Maudlin -- all having their own distinct character but bringing out the beauty of the tune. The hallmark of a great slow air is in its adaptability to the style of each player!

Martin
  18. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    My solo mandolin version.
  19. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Love this song, well done 'Dusty'. Nice pictures too David.