Kitty of Coleraine

1. crisscross
    crisscross
    My favourite jig started as a rather moderate tempo song about spilled milk.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jqnWTQFVyU
    But in the book A Mandolin Player's Pastime it is listed and notated as a jig.
    I had tried to play it this way. When I recorded it, I still had my Deering Good Time Banjo tuned G-D-A-E with nylon strings. Doesn't sound too bad, so I think, I'lll try this again.
  2. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    OH CC - another one to add to my favourites. Not being a banjo person, which instruments are playing in the first half and then the second half ? I'm guessing banjo then mando ?? I like the jaunty rhythm and this would be a good song for my newly purchased handcrafted wooden spoons.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting version, Christian, and not one I was familiar with. I remember learning the song version away back in my pre-teens years in school, from a BBC radio programme called Singing Together, if I remember!
    The banjo with nylon strings has an interesting tone.
    Ginny, let's hear those spoons soon!
  4. bbcee
    bbcee
    Fantastic interpretation, CC! Really like the instrumentation and bounciness.
  5. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    A very pleasant recording of this tune.. you sound really good on that banjo Too Christian!
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sounds nice and jaunty Christian. Nylons on a banjo appear somewhat unusual, but sound good (these are Kitty's nylons, right? )
    I am having difficulties in recognizing it in the notation shown in the video, though. Are you sure that is the same one?
  7. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    CC - I don't see this one up on YouTube yet. Oh...found it. Ok.
    And welcome back Hendrik.
    Bertram, you make me laugh all the time with your posts.
  8. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Another fine tune from crisscross. I like this one but couldn't find notation similar to what you are playing. I might have to learn it by ear.
  9. crisscross
    crisscross
    WOW! Thanks for the many replies. As I said, I played this tune from the book A Mandolin Player's Pastime. https://www.elderly.com/products/the...s-for-mandolin
    It's my favorite ressource for jigs, reels and hornpipes. If you search online, you probably do not find this song arranged as a jig.
    The notation I used for the video seemed to be the closest, though it's quite different.
    As for the banjo: I once tried to learn Irish tenor banjo. But I couldn't handle those fast picked triplets. So I strung it with nylgut strings and play the melody without any ornaments. I even proposed to Aquila to produce a set for Irish Tenor Banjo. But they seemed to have no interest.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    The nylon strung banjo sounds good. Of course Aquila strings are superb – but with only one costumer a set for Irish Tenor Banjo would be very expensive.

We find this song arranged as a jig ore air in 6/8 at The Traditional Tune Archive with four settings. I also find it very different there.
  11. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Robert - apparently this song has many titles. On The Session I got Paddy's Resource and The Road to Skye. Some are in G and some in A. There are also some other names, but I can't remember them right now - I just picked two and will see which one I like better. (I think the picture in the video is from google images, 'cuz I looked there too for the music) , it doesn't sound like what CC is playing. (which I quite like)
  12. crisscross
    crisscross
    I made a new video without the wrong sheet music:
  13. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This is lovely.
  14. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Nice recording cc, similar tune listed as Paddy's Resource in O'Neill's.
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Christian - I was looking at your page and I thought it would be beneficial - bot to you and to your viewers to put up different categories. I don't know how you do it but if you look at say David Hansen or John Kelly's pages, they have divisions..or categories - I don't know quite how to explain it - but you could have a line for mandolin/guitar songs, one for uke songs, one for guitar songs, classical songs etc. ...Like all in one place. Just a thought, makes it easier to find your music all in one spot.