The Last Rose Of Summer

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a semi-traditional Irish song -- an 1804 poem by the Irish poet Thomas Moore set to a traditional harp tune. It has subsequently been adapted by just about everybody (see Wikipedia) from Beethoven to the Grateful Dead. Most modern versions are based on the setting by Friedrich von Flotow from his 19th century opera Martha. There are hundreds of performances online in lots of different genres (classical, Celtic, country, pop...), and it's also the opening song in the movie "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri" (in the Flotow setting).

I've recorded the tune as a mandolin duet, taken from the 1884 mandolin tutor by Cristofaro. First mandolin plays the tune all-tremolo, second mandolin plays an arpeggio accompaniment. I've posted the score in the classical forum here.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin (x2)

Martin
  2. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Really nice! I don't want to claim that I noticed the latency correction you mentioned in the other thread; but I did notice that the timing and harmony are especially good here.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Very good indeed.
    I have always been thinking that this song has some melody parts in common with Gortnamona, which is not unusual, of course.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, guys! The melody is really straightforward. The arpeggio backing is also fairly easy (at least with such a slow tune), except that the score has some tricky double stops in the intro which I've simplified as I couldn't make them work.

Martin
  5. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice!
  6. GHall
    GHall
    As summer winds down, I guess this one seems pretty apropos.

7. crisscross
    crisscross
    Two nice versions of this tune: Martin's almost fragile mandolin duet, and the solid mandolin/guitar version with tremolo up the neck.
  8. bbcee
    bbcee
    What CC said: two wonderful versions.
  9. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Wow!